Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there anything in the show you don't want changed but there is danger of it?

cider float

So is there anything that is walking on thin ice of changing that you don't want changing in the show? Or some kind of paranoia of there being changed?

Edited by cider float

The subtle way of them handling the Apple parents has always been something I have been moderately concerned they would address without nuance and deftness. I actually have a feeling that we will see a true explanation, or that .... so much worse ... they will be shown as alive and kicking. 

• Brohoof 1

I really fucking hope they don't make anymore "let's shit on Rainbow Dash episodes" no one ever likes them, feel really cynical and comes off as the writers punishing people for liking her("oh, you like this character? WELL HOW ABOUT NOW?!"), but the fact that they actually let 28 Pranks Later and Newbie Dash happen at all doesn't leave me hopeful at all

Edited by Reinbow Dash
  • Brohoof 3

the Elements of harmony being written out completely; They've more or less been AWOL since S4, and there doesn't look to be any indication of them referencing or brining them back in any form besides the map. (which isn't really the EOH so much as a quest giver).

Next up: Tirek being reformed. Chrysalis being reformed. More reformations in general.

I don't want Lightning dust being reformed either, but I 100% expect that she'll probably be reformed if she shows back up. (I would rather keep an antagonist rival for RD, I think Antagonistic rivals are a good story tool-- I found trixie more entertaining when she was an antagonist than how she is currently for example)

• Brohoof 1

the Elements of harmony being written out completely; They've more or less been AWOL since S4, and there doesn't look to be any indication of them referencing or brining them back in any form besides the map. (which isn't really the EOH so much as a quest giver).

Next up: Tirek being reformed. Chrysalis being reformed. More reformations in general.

I don't want Lightning dust being reformed either, but I 100% expect that she'll probably be reformed if she shows back up. (I would rather keep an antagonist rival for RD, I think Antagonistic rivals are a good story tool-- I found trixie more entertaining when she was an antagonist than how she is currently for example)

With how they handled Film and Flam they have created a precedent with making a character more likeable or having a beneficial part to play without full redemption, so maybe if Lightning Dust appears it would be approached that way.

The Mane 6 losing focus.

The Mane 6 are completely out of the two-parters at this point. The Season 6 finale wasn't a "One off occurrence", it was the death nail. The Mane 6 have been steadily losing focus in the two-parters ever sinceThe Return of Harmony. The Cutie Map was a slightly bump back, but then the next 3 two-parters absolutely killed it. They have no relevance in the two-parters anymore, and I don't expect them to ever get it back. Maybe at best it will fall back on Twilight but even that I really doubt. At best in the two-parters they can hope for now is being cheerleaders to whatever Starlight Glimmer goes through because it's clear the writers don't want to write the Mane 6 in them.

And then the slice of life stuff. The two biggest writers for season 6 Josh Haber and Mike Vogel, spent most of their time with Starlight over the Mane 6, giving the Mane 6 to the new writers who gave us such great episodes like Newbie Dash, Applejack's Day Off and 28 Pranks Later.  It seems relatively clear that the staff does not want to write for the Mane 6 anymore, or at least that Josh and Mike want to write their characters over the ones that have already been established. Nevermind that the Mane 6 got the least amount of screentime in season 6. Twilight got completely screwed over with only a duo role in 2 episodes the entire season. Pinkie Pie and Rarity didn't do much better with no solo episodes to them. Rainbow Dash came out the best in terms of screentime but many of her episodes were crap and even then it doesn't match how much they gave Starlight. I fully expect the Mane 6 to have even less time in Season 7. And Hasbro going "The Mane 6 are still the focus" does NOT give me reassurances. It makes me doubt it all the more, like they have to say "No no trust us they're still there" all while they're sweating profusely trying to call up the writers. If anything it's only going to force the writers to do a season 4 thing were the Mane 6 have to appear constantly with just sitting in the background while the other characters actually do stuff and them just having a force cameo appearance does not mean they are the focus. 

• Brohoof 4

The Mane 6 losing focus.

The Mane 6 are completely out of the two-parters at this point. The Season 6 finale wasn't a "One off occurrence", it was the death nail. The Mane 6 have been steadily losing focus in the two-parters ever sinceThe Return of Harmony. The Cutie Map was a slightly bump back, but then the next 3 two-parters absolutely killed it. They have no relevance in the two-parters anymore, and I don't expect them to ever get it back. Maybe at best it will fall back on Twilight but even that I really doubt. At best in the two-parters they can hope for now is being cheerleaders to whatever Starlight Glimmer goes through because it's clear the writers don't want to write the Mane 6 in them.

And then the slice of life stuff. The two biggest writers for season 6 Josh Haber and Mike Vogel, spent most of their time with Starlight over the Mane 6, giving the Mane 6 to the new writers who gave us such great episodes like Newbie Dash, Applejack's Day Off and 28 Pranks Later.  It seems relatively clear that the staff does not want to write for the Mane 6 anymore, or at least that Josh and Mike want to write their characters over the ones that have already been established. Nevermind that the Mane 6 got the least amount of screentime in season 6. Twilight got completely screwed over with only a duo role in 2 episodes the entire season. Pinkie Pie and Rarity didn't do much better with no solo episodes to them. Rainbow Dash came out the best in terms of screentime but many of her episodes were crap and even then it doesn't match how much they gave Starlight. I fully expect the Mane 6 to have even less time in Season 7. And Hasbro going "The Mane 6 are still the focus" does NOT give me reassurances. It makes me doubt it all the more, like they have to say "No no trust us they're still there" all while they're sweating profusely trying to call up the writers. If anything it's only going to force the writers to do a season 4 thing were the Mane 6 have to appear constantly with just sitting in the background while the other characters actually do stuff and them just having a force cameo appearance does not mean they are the focus. 

At least we still have the movie being about the mane six, if nothing else :(

I don't want Starlight and Trixie to be removed or to get less focus...

dis

But really, though, I'm pretty happy with the show's direction in most respects, so the closest I can come to something I hope they don't do is continue to make Twilight all bland and infallible like she's been for the past three seasons now. C'mon, writers, surely you can start making her consistently fun and interesting again. Is it so hard?

Otherwise, I just hope the trend of improvement which season 6 had doesn't stop in season 7, but I'm not really afraid of that happening, so I guess it doesn't really count. 

• Brohoof 1

If they remove one of the main characters (like Spike) just to replace them with Starlight, and then give Starlight an overwhelming majority of screentime for future seasons, that's when I would give up. I've said in the past that The Cutie Remark is where the show jumped the shark, due to putting more emphasis on Starlight in the big episodes while not knowing what to do with her in the small episodes, as well as vice versa for the Mane 6, but if they just put Starlight in a Scrappy-Doo-like situation where she overtakes everything the show originally stood for without deserving it, or at worst, create a Teen Titans Go!-like situation where they keep trolling and crapping on the haters while not knowing that they doing the same to those who want to give it an actual chance, that's when I'll feel the show has run it's course.

I'm perfectly fine with the majority of directions that the show has been focusing towards lately. Sure, not all of them are accepted by the fandom and that is natural, but I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt. And yet, there are signs that problems are starting to bubble up on the surface, issues that could cause unnecessary changes that in turn would be viewed as a detriment to the show more than anything else.

I think the main losing focus could be a sign that this gen is coming to a close. 

That shouldn't be seen a bad thing, however. Just because this gen ends doesn't mean they're not going to come back with a brand new gen to replace this one. 

I have a feeling that when that time comes Starlight might end up replacing Twilight Sparkle as the main character.

The worst thing they could do is scrap this gen and create an entirely new series.

But that being said, it would be really sad to not have the main six as the focus. But it would be better then having them being written poorly, right?

I think the main losing focus could be a sign that this gen is coming to a close. 

That shouldn't be seen a bad thing, however. Just because this gen ends doesn't mean they're not going to come back with a brand new gen to replace this one. 

I have a feeling that when that time comes Starlight might end up replacing Twilight Sparkle as the main character.

The worst thing they could do is scrap this gen and create an entirely new series.

But that being said, it would be really sad to not have the main six as the focus. But it would be better then having them being written poorly, right?

To be honest, so long as FIM was followed by a REBOOT (Not a new gen, but a reboot: like how prime is a reboot of G1 or how Sailor moon crystal is a reboot of sailor moon) I'd be fine: So long as we kept the concepts of the EOH and the mane six as the mane characters, I'd be cool with them starting over again, so long as they put effort into the next iteration.

Just as long as the characters at their core concepts of the world remain true, things should stay good.

Well they've already gone and changed something I fell in love with a long time ago: I loved Rainbow Dash being a Dashole egotist. That's why she became my favorite. She still has her moments here and there, but her ego's always getting destroyed.

Still, I happened to enjoy Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks Later. They just need to make up for those episodes with Dash being awesome again.

28 Pranks Later and Newbie Dash happen at all doesn't leave me hopeful at all

I'll give 28 Pranks Later (I still liked it tho) but Newbie Dash was awesome

Well they've already gone and changed something I fell in love with a long time ago: I loved Rainbow Dash being a Dashole egotist. That's why she became my favorite. She still has her moments here and there, but her ego's always getting destroyed.

Well isn't that a good thing. She needs to grow as a character. I can think of zero people I liked more because they were arrogant/conceded. It's not a character trait to teach children to have or desirable at all XD

Well, for most people.I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think it's common sense that being full of yourself and constantly bloating to other people is not a good thing.

Rainbow is my favorite character too and if anything Newbie Dash and Buckball Seasons etc. made me like her even more.

• Brohoof 1

Well isn't that a good thing. She needs to grow as a character. I can think of zero people I liked more because they were arrogant/conceded. It's not a character trait to teach children to have or desirable at all XD

Well, for most people.I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think it's common sense that being full of yourself and constantly bloating to other people is not a good thing.

Rainbow is my favorite character too and if anything Newbie Dash and Buckball Seasons etc. made me like her even more.

It's not a good thing. I love fictional arrogant/conceited characters.

Seriously, though, there's a difference between growing as a character while maintaining confidence and getting your ego annihilated. It seems like whenever Rainbow Dash needs to be taught a lesson, they have to mentally assault her until her ego is non-existent. They had the entire town act like it was the zombie apocalypse just to show her pranking needs to be done differently.

Like I said, though, I enjoyed Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks Later. My favorite episode is actually The Mysterious Mare Do Well. I just enjoy Rainbow Dash more with flaws than being humbled into obscurity.

• Brohoof 1

It's not a good thing. I love fictional arrogant/conceited characters.

Seriously, though, there's a difference between growing as a character while maintaining confidence and getting your ego annihilated. It seems like whenever Rainbow Dash needs to be taught a lesson, they have to mentally assault her until her ego is non-existent. They had the entire town act like it was the zombie apocalypse just to show her pranking needs to be done differently.

Like I said, though, I enjoyed Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks Later. My favorite episode is actually The Mysterious Mare Do Well. I just enjoy Rainbow Dash more with flaws than being humbled into obscurity.

If you think about the show as a whole it's about growing and learning and friendship etc. (don't need to get detailed on that). Rainbow's confidence is never diminished and her ego is still very existent which can be seen in small parts in other episodes. Raibow needed to learn that she needs give consideration for her friends. 28 pranks later really had nothing to do anything with her ego unless you can't Applejack saying she's lazy or whatever. Really had nothing to do with her ego.

But overall I guess it's just your preference on Dashie's attitude. Honestly if she still acted the same as back in season 1 she would have no point in being in the show because she just stays the same. Was beginning to feel that way about Discord. Every time he comes back he's just an asshole. Like does he really learn anything XD (exaggerating obviously)

If you think about the show as a whole it's about growing and learning and friendship etc. (don't need to get detailed on that). Rainbow's confidence is never diminished and her ego is still very existent which can be seen in small parts in other episodes. Raibow needed to learn that she needs give consideration for her friends. 28 pranks later really had nothing to do anything with her ego unless you can't Applejack saying she's lazy or whatever. Really had nothing to do with her ego.

But overall I guess it's just your preference on Dashie's attitude. Honestly if she still acted the same as back in season 1 she would have no point in being in the show because she just stays the same. Was beginning to feel that way about Discord. Every time he comes back he's just an asshole. Like does he really learn anything XD (exaggerating obviously)

It did. She thought her pranks were hilarious, and she was attacked by a mob of fake zombies just to prove that they weren't. Ego-assassinated. As for a preference of Rainbow Dash's attitude, I do prefer her from Season One, but I also like seeing her grow. It's just the things they do to her to make her "grow" are pretty ridiculous.

I'm glad Discord is still out trolling ponies. If he didn't do that, there'd be no point to him being on the show. I think it's pretty realistic for him anyway, he's been around for thousands of years. Takes a lot more than a year to undue a millennia of being a jerk.

It did. She thought her pranks were hilarious, and she was attacked by a mob of fake zombies just to prove that they weren't. Ego-assassinated. As for a preference of Rainbow Dash's attitude, I do prefer her from Season One, but I also like seeing her grow. It's just the things they do to her to make her "grow" are pretty ridiculous.

I'm glad Discord is still out trolling ponies. If he didn't do that, there'd be no point to him being on the show. I think it's pretty realistic for him anyway, he's been around for thousands of years. Takes a lot more than a year to undue a millennia of being a jerk.

They were hilarious to her. It's not like she had a huge crying scene where she was "oh no my pranks aren't funny anymore!" It's just oh maybe I being a bit mean to my friends and I wouldn't want to hurt them in anyway. That's how I saw it. I would say the only episode where something ridiculous happens one Mysterious Mare Do Well, but I loved that episode either way. 

How would there be no point for having him on the show? He could become a powerful ally if he actually felt like helping which is what happened in the season finale which I'm glad he did. You could argue he did it only to save Fluttershy but I think he would have helped either way. And yea I agree it's realistic but the point of an episode with him is for him to grow in someway which barely happens, until recently. I like his episodes either way of course, not a Discord hater or anything.

They were hilarious to her. It's not like she had a huge crying scene where she was "oh no my pranks aren't funny anymore!" It's just oh maybe I being a bit mean to my friends and I wouldn't want to hurt them in anyway. That's how I saw it. I would say the only episode where something ridiculous happens one Mysterious Mare Do Well, but I loved that episode either way. 

How would there be no point for having him on the show? He could become a powerful ally if he actually felt like helping which is what happened in the season finale which I'm glad he did. You could argue he did it only to save Fluttershy but I think he would have helped either way. And yea I agree it's realistic but the point of an episode with him is for him to grow in someway which barely happens, until recently. I like his episodes either way of course, not a Discord hater or anything.

They've granted her an emotional-breakdown crying scene before in Tanks for the Memories. As for the zombie prank, they were hilarious to her because she once again had to swallow her pride and eat humble pie thanks to the jealous ponies of Ponyville. All of them were clearly envious of her natural pranking abilities.

Discord being too nice would seem unrealistic. He's becoming a bit more friendly recently because it takes time. I just hope they never go all the way and make it so he has no mean streak at all. Some people, even your best friends, can be jerks from time to time.