Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How can you over come roller coaster phobia

Deidre Asada

Hello I was wondering if any one has ever conquer this fear of roller coasters. You see I loved roller coasters I really do but I am mostly afraid of the ones that goes upside down I always have this fear of always falling off even tho they are safe.

But I am wondering if any one know how to conquer this fear cause I really want to enjoy theme parks and to go on a lot of rides but it is just that the fear of upside down roller coasters or any upside down rides scares me. So I am wondering if any one could help me out with this situation cause its really killing me also ever since I final destination 3 it just made it worst for me after that roller coaster scene.

Hey :)

I too am too scard for rollercoasters, its nothing to be shy or feel bad about!

I have found though, that if you go on them more and more, you get use to it, but i still almost pass out when i see a rollercoaster :'D

Bu, yeah, just start off on small ones, untill you feel ready to move onto a bigger one :D

I used to be scared of Roller Coasters the same way you are.

I even saw Final Destination 3 (my favorite of the series)

However the best way to over come the fear is to go on a coaster with someone you're close to.

Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Girlfriend, Boyfriend, Best Friend, ETC.

The first time I went on one was with with Dad.

I won't lie i was pretty nervous, but roller coasters only last like a minute or so in length and after I had gotten off I wanted to go again!

Besides that the only other advice would be to know that Safety Regulations much like planes are very high, and the chance of anything ever happening is really low.

If a low chance is a issue, just remember just about everything you do in a given day has a low chance of something bad happening.

Roller Coasters are designed to make you feel a little nervous, it's what helps create the adrenaline rush that people love so much on roller coasters. However, like what's been said before, Roller Coasters are held to the highest safety standards of any ride in an amusement park. Like anything in life, if you're nervous about something you need to start small and work your way to confront the problem. Go with a trusted friend on the roller coaster. Start on the small ones, like kiddie and junior coasters. Once you feel comfortable with them, move up to some of the woodies. They can be rough but they are definitely not as bad as the steel ones that go upside down. Again, once your comfortable with that move on up to some of the moderate steel coasters. Inversions (the proper term for going upside down) scared me for the longest time, but I went on one with my dad, closed my eyes on the inversion (I still do) and enjoyed it. Everyone has their limits and you just need to know where yours is at. Rides have their own personalities, some you'll adore, others you'll dread. It all depends on how far you're willing to go. Hope this helps and best of luck. :)

When I was younger I was a little afraid of them. But one day I just decided to hop on one. Everything went better then expected :3

Just...ride one? I would just make myself determined to ride a roller coaster. Simple as that, really.

How does it feel when going upside down a roller coaster that has loops even tho you are strap in and are secure do you still get the feeling of falling off does you're lower bottom kinda lift up when you're upside down.

How does it feel when going upside down a roller coaster that has loops even tho you are strap in and are secure do you still get the feeling of falling off does you're lower bottom kinda lift up when you're upside down.

it's actually the exact opposite, it feels like you are being forced down into the seat even harder, this is caused by the tendancy of any fast spinning object to flee the center, much like mud flying off of a spinning tire.

it's actually the exact opposite, it feels like you are being forced down into the seat even harder, this is caused by the tendancy of any fast spinning object to flee the center, much like mud flying off of a spinning tire.

I believe you mean to the edge. This is called centrifugal force, by the way.

And yes, at sufficient speeds (such as those of a rollercoaster) centrifugal force will overcome gravity, and you'll remain firmly in your seat.

I find that trash talking whatever object is the cause of my fear/anxiety sometimes helps, though I will admit that to some people, cussing out a rollercoaster before you get on it might seem a little... odd.

(edited)

When I get on, i just accept that this is going to be my last ride and I'm going to die.

That way, there's no way I can be more nervous than I already am.

Edited by Aureitas d'Aequitate

When I get on, i just accept that this is going to be my last ride and I'm going to die.

That way, there's no way I can be more nervous than I already am.

Also, no matter what happens, it will never be worse than you expected :)

Also, no matter what happens, it will never be worse than you expected :)

Exactly! It actually works really well.

I used to be nervous about riding some roller coasters. Particularly those at Cedar Point. I was fine with some of them, but some of the more extreme ones, I didn't want to ride. And one day, I did. And it was mostly awesome. (Some rides weren't so awesome.) I was able to ride the rides for two reasons. One, I just kept telling myself "It's just a ride. It's been out for a number of years, it's been tested, and it's safe. What is there to be afraid of?" I also went to the park, that day, with someone who made me feel brave, and confident about myself. I don't know if you have someone like that in your life, but if you go with them, it may help.

I'm not sure that you have a true fear, as you said that you like other roller coasters. (Not that I'm trying to impose or put words in your mouth or anything.) In this case, it may be a simple case of mind over matter. Perhaps if you tell yourself that you will ride an upside-down roller coaster, and that you won't be afraid of it, and just get in line, without thinking about the aspect that's making you fearful, maybe you'll be able to get on the ride and not be worried about it. It might help if you have someone there, again, for moral support.

Or, maybe this just isn't for you. There's nothing wrong with not liking roller coasters. A number of people on this thread have stated that they hate roller coasters, and that's fine. As for you, you just don't like a certain kind of roller coaster, and that's fine too. Unless this is something that's become an inhibition in your daily life, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to ride a certain roller coaster, or any roller coasters at all. If you feel this is something you're willing to and can conquer, then by all means, go for it. If this is something that turns you into a puddle of jelly, though, and you thinking that by riding the ride, it would only make things worse, maybe it's not worth doing. I think you may want to weigh both sides before you attempt a ride. Best of luck, though, with whatever you decide.

Hello I was wondering if any one has ever conquer this fear of roller coasters. You see I loved roller coasters I really do but I am mostly afraid of the ones that goes upside down I always have this fear of always falling off even tho they are safe.

But I am wondering if any one know how to conquer this fear cause I really want to enjoy theme parks and to go on a lot of rides but it is just that the fear of upside down roller coasters or any upside down rides scares me. So I am wondering if any one could help me out with this situation cause its really killing me also ever since I final destination 3 it just made it worst for me after that roller coaster scene.

I used to be deathly afraid of roller coasters. Twice, I went to Vally Fair in Minneapolis with family and didn't ride a single thing. I was afraid of any ride. But eventually the second time, I road some kid rides. Almost like anything you would find at a state fair. but the roller coasters were too scary.

Fast forward 6 years later. I was 12 and staying with my cousins in Kansas City. They had full season passes for the amusement park Worlds of Fun, and they planned to go for at least three days. Before we left, my cousin Ashton told me that she was determined to get me on a roller coaster somehow.

At the end of the first night she got me on a roller coaster called The Boomerang, mush to my protest. It takes you backwards up a hill, and then releases you. You do a simple loop first, then you do a corkscrew, and then you go up another hill, that makes you go back, doing everything over again just like a boomerang. And I LOVED IT. The anxiety before I went turned into this rush of adrenaline that I had never felt before.

In the end, you have to face it, and accept it. During those moments when the coaster was creeping up the hill, I was tense and scared, but then I ultimately accepted my fate, and in the end it turned out to be the best decision of my life.

From then on I tuned into a roller coaster freak, and I will ride any roller coaster that I can get my hands on. So just make yourself do it, and face the fear.

Hope my story is of some help. :)

Life would be quite dull without any risks, would it not? Basically, don't think on the fear but rather on the thrill of the moment. After all what would life be without excitement!

I felt the same way you do when I was younger.

I have gone to Dorney Park several times, as well as Hershey. I never had a problem getting on Steel Force or a coaster that didn't have loops, I was too afraid of them. It wasn't until one year in middle school that I rode one of those coasters. When I was in Middle School, I was a Library Aide. Each year, we went to Hershey Park at the end of the year. I missed the first year, but the second one I made it, but, we had to travel as a group, so any ride one person wanted to go on, we ALL had to go on. OF course, I could've said no, but that would've disappointed the group. They were pretty nice though, first coaster we went on that day was the Comet, no loops or anything.

But then, we went to the SuperDooperLooper, which has loops. I was scared. I was literally shaking waiting in the queue, and it got worse when we were finally seated. Up one hill, then down, and up another, before entering the loop. I went through it with my eyes closed, but after that, it was pretty freaking awesome.

I went on because I didn't want to let the others down, but I knew that if anything would've happened, I would be with my friends, and even then, I'd have one heck of a time. The best way to conquer a fear is to face it, you're never going to get over it until you try it. If it helps any, close your eyes. When you're going through that first loop, or upside down for the first time, don't look, just feel. I'm sure that after that, you'll be able to open your eyes and enjoy yourself.

And don't worry, if the ride wasn't safe, they would've known about it by now. You'll be just fine.

I used to be really nervous about rollercoasters until I got on one at the Mall of America. The Avatar Airbender. Once I conquered that and found it to be so much fun I wanted to go on all the coasters. The one I had the most fun on was the spongebob coaster that went in a loop near the end. It was a little scary but I was with my older cousins who were in the military and I figured if they could get on it so could I. And it was fun but my real nervousness with big coasters like that is the high rise pause before jetting down. I just close my eyes for that moment and open them again when it's descending. It's a lot of fun and feels like your flying.