Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer whats with the names?

Firedog

(edited)

Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer whats with the names?

Why do all super powerful unicorns have a name that involves: a light in the SKY in there first name, and SHINNING as there last name. I have a theory.

Unicorn + Sky(Shinning) = Magic2

Meaning that if you name your unicorn's first name something to do with a light in the sky and there last name something that shines your unicorn will have amazing magical abilities. 

The name posibilties are endless!

Examples:

1. Moonlight twinkle

2. Sunbeam brilliance

3. Aurora borealis northern lights light sparkle shine shimmer

Edited by Firedog
  • Brohoof 3

Well Sunset Shimmer was intended to be a foil to Twilight Sparkle, with both of them being gifted unicorns who were Celestia's students, and didn't initially understand friendship.

So I can see why Sunset would have a name that is synonymous with Twilight Sparkle.

And I guess seeing how Starlight is just basically FIM's version of having Sunset Shimmer/ a character like her, without crossing over EQG and FIM, I guess it makes sense for Starlight to have a name that is synonymous to a character who has a name that is synonymous to Twilight Sparkle.

• Brohoof 2

what about Shinin Armor? He's a Super Saiyan unicorn. He can hold a sheild spell for days, and HIS name isn't like the others. 

Well Sunset Shimmer was intended to be a foil to Twilight Sparkle, with both of them being gifted unicorns who were Celestia's students, and didn't initially understand friendship.

So I can see why Sunset would have a name that is synonymous with Twilight Sparkle.

And I guess seeing how Starlight is just basically FIM's version of having Sunset Shimmer/ a character like her, without crossing over EQG and FIM, I guess it makes sense for Starlight to have a name that is synonymous to a character who has a name that is synonymous to Twilight Sparkle.

Starlight Gutter is more like Twilight, if anypony. 

Well I suppose, but this was more of a troll thread :/ I don't know why people are taking this theory seriously. It was supposed to be a joke making fun of how similar the names are

Well I suppose, but this was more of a troll thread :/ I don't know why people are taking this theory seriously. It was supposed to be a joke making fun of how similar the names are

Joke's been made quite a few times.

• Brohoof 1

If you try to plug logic into the naming conventions, the whole thing will fall apart! Forget for a second the fact that they (those three) all have similar names, every single pony is some neon-esque color; even when they are humans. When humans, their name and color stays the same and nobody questions that. But, no, it's more important to question the pony universe. I just don't think about it because, as I said, if you question the logic, it all falls apart.

• 10 months later...

I named my unicorn Merry Shine. Once a naughty pony due to her tragic past, she became Luna's first faithful student and is now beloved by all. Shining even recommended her for the vacant Captain position. Celestia agreed immediately, but poor Merry is still unsure of herself and afraid to use her magic at full power despite being constantly encouraged by Luna and royal guards.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think what's up with names is that they're all powerful and, since they're names have synonyms, they're most likely to be distant cousins or secret siblings.

Anypony with a name along those lines shall become an overpowered unicorn; it is destined. ^_^

Joking aside, the show probably went with those names because they just sound magical. For some reason fantasy magic can be associated with times of day/night, and the shinning aspect conjures up the image of magic being cast. Plus, the three characters are all fairly similar (and very overpowered XD). 

It's kinda like how most pegasi have names relating to speed, flight, or weather; and how most earth ponies have names relating to food or agriculture.