Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Do you enjoy watching/doing speed-runs?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Every once in a while I'll check the records for my favorite games.

Some of the things those speedrunners can pull off is straight up magic. One of my favorite examples of this is Super Mario 64 since the combination of what they can do and how early the controls were in 3d gaming at the time blows my mind.

(edited)

Still, speedrunning isn't my cup of tea. Just my opinion is all, have nothing against speedrun. Just here to have fun, not to consider completing video games as a competition. I know I was a bit brash and I apologize for that. Again, speedrunning's simply not my cup of tea. @Celli

Edited by Jon the Bronynerd
  • Brohoof 1

Yes. Speedruns are amazing. The live ones from Awesome/Summer Games Done Quick are really fun to watch. There's usually a lot of excitement from the crowd and commentators. Tool-assisted speedruns are also fun to watch, just to see how far games can be broken with frame-perfect controller inputs.

The best one I've seen recently was the latest Super Mario 64 tool-assisted speedrun. The record was at 5:02 (5 minutes, 2 seconds) since 2012, but a few months ago, a group of people found a way to skip collecting one of the keys and get the time down to 4:21.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkOkJvLKxUY

Then there's the speedruns that use controller inputs to execute arbitrary code and completely reprogram the game, while it's running.
Here's one of Pokemon Yellow. The game was changed to include appearances from Tetris, Link's Awakening, Super Mario Bros, and Spongebob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm8P8utT5g

For myself, I've tried doing a bit of Super Mario 64 speedrunning, though I never got any good at it. It takes a lot of time to practice.

I was on a small speedrun watching kick a few years ago but never really went past watching games I was already familiar with. For me I'm completely open to the idea of finishing a game as fast as possible but I cant imagine "wasting" the time or patience playing a single game especially the beginning over and over again for months. I dont like using the word autism especially after it's been used to death for the past decade as an insult to the point to where it doesnt mean anything anymore but I would have to imagine the vast majority of the speedrunning community would be somewhere on the spectrum. To play a game ad nauseam performing the same repeated tactics and movements and still be focused instead of bored sounds like a behavior.

As far as performing them its really interesting to see some runners dissect the games code to "save frames" but there is one thing about speed runs I am against about any% speed runs as it ruins the "spirit" of the game and it would be the consideration that the "credits screen" is considered beating the game. On paper it sounds like the most obvious end goal consideration but when you are able to perform a "credits warp" where you alter the ROM data in the beginning of the game to load the credits screen I cant feel in any way that you beat the game or that it was even a speed run. Its not even cheating but more like being at a race starting line then running straight for the trophy on the judges table when the starting pistol was fired. At least cheating would involve playing a decent portion of the game. The only reason it bothers me is because people will be credited for "having the world record fastest time completing (game)" and will even be published in magazines. When I think of something completing a game I think of someone playing through the entirety of the game as efficiently as possible not jumping 255 times in the left corner of the screen on the first stage causing a glitch and credits screen to roll.

But beyond that yeah I do enjoy speedrunning occasionally. This pokemon playthrough is probably one of the most informative playthroughs I've ever seen when explaining not just the mechanics of the games programming but how various stats are linked allowing you to exploit unavailable pokemon hidden in the game data to be caught.

Spoiler

I don't like to do speedruns when I'm the one playing, since I like to take time to enjoy the game. But I think it can be funny to watch them and see what tricks people have come up with in order to get the game done faster.

• 6 months later...

I do love watching speedruns for games like Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 1 (and 2), among other games.

As for doing speedruns? I mainly speedrun Splatoon 2 like crazy; I'm even currently 11th place for the level "Tide Goes Out ~Bomb Rush Blush~".

Currently, I stand at a 4m 49s for the entire stage, using the Charger. :P Still aiming for the 1st place record on the leaderboards, as tough as it is, especially since I'd erased my entire save file's progress (Salmon Run records, multiplayer ranks, etc.)! But I still believe that I can soar past the record and be the king of that level! ^_^

• 3 years later...

I used to watch some YouTubers try to speed run Fortnite creative obstacle courses, but I stopped watching it. Still, I don't mind watching people do speed runs but I'd rather play the game myself and not speed run it.

I've watched some videos about speed running on youtube before but whilst I respect their skill and dedication I don't think I'd be interested in watching full runs.

It's also not something I'd be interested in trying as I don't have the skill or ability for one but I also like to take my time with games and do things at my own pace.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love them. I wouldn't try one myself, probably, because I'm not that good at games in general, but I love watching GDQs to see people completely destroy the games I grew up with, and some of the more recent ones that I enjoy playing. I mostly love the Legend of Zelda 100% runs. Five hours of glitch after glitch to get everything collected in the proper way. Amazing entertainment.

Not in general, but I really find it fascinating to watch speed runs of old nes/snes games I played as child so long ago. I remember how I did and how so many years I see those guys do it in a fraction of the time far more efficiently. I don't do speed runs myself..