Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Adam West has died

Phill

He will always be the true Batman, he was one of the greats and he will be remembered by those who he impacted. May comfort come to those who were closest to him, prayers go out to them. 

• Brohoof 2

You can have your opinions, but disrespectful comments will NOT be allowed here.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 6

5 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

You can have your opinions, but disrespectful comments will NOT be allowed here.

Thank you.

Strange, I don't see any disrespectful comments so far!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Damn. 

He lived a long and awesome life. I'd like to thank him. I may not have watched much of the original series, but thanks to Adam West, Batman was alive and well for me to enjoy as a kid. 

May his legacy live on. 

Image result for the gray ghost

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 2

This was rather jarring to come home to fine out. I was not a huge fan of the original Batman show, but I like pretty much everything else West did... This is truly depressing news.

RIP Adam West. You were a TV legend. :(

• Brohoof 2

Dang.

This was rather jarring and unfortunate.

I may not have watched most of what he was involved with, but I know that he is a beloved television icon worthy of respect and that it is a shame to see someone like him pass away so suddenly.

• Brohoof 1

For those my age or older, Adam West was their first Batman they saw on screen. While some may suggest that our eyes are often tinted with a nostalgia filter, I can't discount that the 60's Batman and it's campy silliness had some impact -- it was rerun every afternoon as I would pretend to do my homework. It's campiness felt at home along with cartoons like GI Joe, Transformers, and He-Man. Adam West was my childhood Batman. 

As I got older and tastes matured ... and Burton, Miller, Moore, and others re-established the character that became what we better know him as ... West's Batman never left the public's imagination ... no matter how they looked at the series. 

Eventually, Adam West and the series became part of that era's pop culture. West took the lemons of criticism and made the best possible lemonade. He eventually saw dozens of parodies and finally embraced them ... and owned them ... as if saying "let me show you how real parody works". 

A new generation was introduced to Catman and Mayor Adam West - and many of us smiled. For me it was like laughing at myself and how much I enjoyed those reruns and a kid. But, Adam West and I were laughing together at each other and ourselves. There is inspiration here you know. In the face of criticism one can either be crushed my it, or transformed by it. Adam West chose the latter. 

RIP My Batman

• Brohoof 4

I've watched the entire 1960s Batman television series a few times over the course of my life and it was through this show that I came to know who Adam West was. Since watching it for the first time, I looked forward to seeing what else he would do in his career though it wasn't until the 1990s that I would actually watch the 1960s Batman. His voice acting credentials are very impressive including several reprisals of Batman courtesy of Filmmation, Hanna-Barbera, and even Warner Bros. It's so unfortunate that he passed away and I was caught off guard when it was announced on the news. I'll admit it... He was my Batman.

• Brohoof 3

While not the first Batman to appear on television or film (and probably not even my favorite since the Batman I truly grew up with was Kevin Conroy's, being a 90's child, and if I'm being honest I still have to watch the whole 60's series at some point), Adam West was the first Batman in television or film who truly mattered to the public.  In that regard, he laid a far better foundation for Batman in media beyond the comic books in the decades to come than one would think upon first glance of the 60's series, and he also revived popularity for Batman during a time when he was alarmingly unpopular, thereby ensuring in a truly bizarre manner the trove of great Batman stories with completely different tones than his series ever had that we have gotten ever since the 60's series aired.  Above all else, no matter how silly the show was, West always embodied what is most important for any Batman to embody about the character: that deep down, even if he doesn't think so, Batman is a truly good guy out to do good things in the world and leave it a better place.  West's Batman believed that through and through and was always ready to fight injustice at a moment's notice, even if he didn't wear body armor so much as a spandex jumpsuit.  I don't know about you, but that strikes me as rather badass.  RIP West, you were not just a Batman, because no one who plays him truly is just A Batman; you belong in elite company, and just as every other person in that elite company (with the possible exception of George Clooney because buck "Batman and Robin" and buck Joel Schumacher) you were and forever shall be THE Batman.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Adam West is the one true Batman, and has set the standard by which all others will be measured. Not only that but he was a truly unique and gifted actor and he will be sorely missed. He will join the pantheon of greats who have gone before, yet remains immortalized here on film for us to enjoy for decades to come. 

He made his mark as the greatest Batman and left us one last glimpse at the character he immortalized in Return of the Caped Crusaders 2 which will come later this year. I'm glad he got to make one last movie in his iconic role.  

I salute you, Adam West. You gave the world more than you may have ever realized. Thank you. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

I was shocked when I found this out yesterday. My husband loved the original Batman TV show and Adam West was a really good Batman. Mr. West had a good sense of humor especially playing Mayor West on Family Guy.

Not only he's a hero in a fiction world but an hero in a real world, done many service of others and have fought hard during his battle against cancer. We wil never forget the great Adam west and may he rest in peace 10xfold.

giphy.gif

• Brohoof 1

indeed,he's infact my favorite batman of all time 

nor michael keaton,nor christian bale,and defiantly not ben afflek are compatible to his huge impact on movies&television.

R.I.P Adam West

(edited)

Anyone else notice how Conroy sounds somewhat like West -- instead of, you know, Bale's and Affleck's "Crazy Steve" (see Linkara for reference)?

West, you truly laid the proper foundation for Batman's voice.

Edited by A.V.