Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How smart machines can make our life better/worse?

Inky Well

(edited)

Hellow, fellow pones.

We are living in interesting time of second informational revolution. One of fruit of modern technologies is an machine learning.

In other words AI can be learned how to act on samples instead of being programmed. It easily allows to reach amazing result in image recognition, natural speech understanding (hello, Siri ^-^) and other stuff which is really hard to program.

But in other hand we can't just open and research code inside their memory - it has no human understandable algorithm. To explore their behavior we need to supervise their actions and analyse (Hello, Freud XD).

Here's discussion topic for you, fellow pones.  How far AI can go? Can machine become equal part of our society? And how smart machines can make our life better or worse?

323817__UNOPT__safe_twilight-sparkle_sol

Edited by Crypty

(edited)

I'm a firm believer that machines will eventually become as complex and smart as we are (and then likely surpass us very quickly at that point). I also believe that it's a good thing, unlike many ponies out there who scream "skynet!" every time the subject of A.I. Comes up. :D

Honestly I think it's just part of the evolution of life. And I'm sure we'll live with them peacefully. When machines surpass us, I hope they take care of us the was children take care of their parents when they grow old. 

Edited by Starzen
  • Brohoof 1

To tell the truth I feel it will go an oddly similar way to the omnic lore in overwatch in short there was a war between the two after a while

• Brohoof 1

Probably AI will become so advanced to the point where they seem to have a spirit of their own. Like I have plans to create the ponies from MLP as super advanced robots in the future and they'll be exactly the same to themselves in the show. :)

• Brohoof 1

Ehhh... People say humans are smart, but I don't know. We might be the most destructive species of planet earth, but that doesn't make us smart, in my opinion... Is it really that smart to get lazy and let robots do all the work? I'm not sure.. Our society is built around working and then, in the future, what do we work with to earn money? It's not like we can walk around doing nothing, we'd all go crazy. I go crazy by doing nothing, if I ever do that. Robots are good for things we cannot handle or that might seriously hurt us.. If anything, it would be great to develop machines for such duties. Otherwise, I think we're fine without them. People need human contact, we're pack animals. XD I don't believe too much in technology. I'd rather believe in natural miracles.

(edited)

Smart machines that do work for us makes us worse, because already if we were to lost electricity for too long time period, total chaos ensues. More machines = more needed electricity = more chaos when no power. 

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
31 minutes ago, The Cerberus said:

Smart machines that do work for us makes us worse, because already if we were to lost electricity for too long time period, total chaos ensues. More machines = more needed electricity = more chaos when no power. 

But many of them can be pretty autonomous. For example you can use most of modern gadgets all day long without plugging them into power point. They can take energy of sun and wind by the way.

1 hour ago, darkwingmare said:

what do we work with to earn money? It's not like we can walk around doing nothing, we'd all go crazy. I go crazy by doing nothing, if I ever do that.

You can use free time to learn new things, create artworks, craft interesting stuff, invent new devices and ways to make life of society better.

Edited by Crypty

4 minutes ago, Crypty said:

You can use free time to learn new things, create artworks, invent new devices and ways to make life of society better.

Definitely, but all people don't have that in them. Many people don't create things, it's not their thing. They'll just sit and do nothing. I want to see a future in which everything is plant and sun-based. No machines, mostly just ... Animals and humans and plants and.. The nature. That would be the best. I'm not much for machines at all, unless it's like.. To replace a lost leg or do something humans can't, like filming or going to planets further away, dive into the GREAT GREAT deep, etc.

30 minutes ago, darkwingmare said:

I want to see a future in which everything is plant and sun-based. No machines, mostly just ... Animals and humans and plants and.. The nature. That would be the best.

So, something like this perhaps? Essentially high-tech Treehouses. :P

Capturenn.PNG

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 2017-07-08 at 1:33 PM, Dark Horse said:

So, something like this perhaps? Essentially high-tech Treehouses. :P

I definitely love that! I would love to see a future looking that bright.

Like this illustration Vincent Callebaut did of Paris hopefully green future:Vincent-Callebauts-Vision-of-Paris-6.jpg

It's really cool! 

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 1

Machines are just that, machines. They are tools to serve people. 

In order to do what we need to make our lives more comfortable we exceedingly gave them more and more complexion. If this keeps up, machines will have become as complex as a human being in terms of function. 

Personally, I will never see an AI as equal to human life in terms of essence. But since I know people who will argue for giving such a machine rights and treat it as a human, then I propose we never make it more complex than humans.

There is a simple reasoning to this - a machine with our level of complexity will still outlive us because it will not have the same constraints as human beings. Realising this, combined with the self-awareness of human-level intelligence, such an AI would quickly exceed our own capabilities, using its malleable form to improve itself in ways our mind would not understand. And it will take measures to preserve itself from us, essentially its subjugators. If we give no AI power over ours, on the other hand, we will not be morally obligated to it, nor will be putting ourselves in danger due to its then would-be alien nature of thinking.

Tl;Dr - if we let machines become as smart as people they will eventually become smarter than people and then who knows what might happen.