Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So, about that season 7 finale...

Unlikeable Pony

(edited)
1 hour ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

>applejack gets a shovel

>Its not magical at all, but it is a shovel

I would be even more psyched for this finale.

steel thy shovel.png

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I am all for this if it means that Equestria Girls will be unquestionably canon from here on out.

No. I really think they should remain separate. It would just be confusing if they were not separate. EQG already kind of kills continuity. :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I was super hyped for this comic until I found out it's gonna revolve around the Sirens.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I couldn't care less about them. I thought they were the most boring and forgettable villains in the series besides King Sombra.

I want a NEW villain. A GOOD villain.

Edited by BadHorse
  • Brohoof 1

It's been pretty much confirmed the villain of the finale is the Pony of Shadows, who is probably the ancestor of the pony in the other comic, and the big bad mentioned in this comic. I highly doubt the sirens are going to appear in the show, not sure what there role is exactly in this comic. 

21 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

If the finale is gonna tie into the comics, does that mean Shadowlock might appear?

I expect a name drop, or a brief history of what happened with him at the beginning of the episode so that he can appear and not confuse show only fans.

2 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Very, very much, since the description we have "twilight" specifically fights the pony of shadows.
I'm expecting a redux of The cutie remark or Crystal empire, with it being a twilight solo thing while the others get kicked into the background or as cameos.

>applejack gets a shovel

>Its not magical at all, but it is a shovel

Hey, a rare unique shovel is still better than another Apple Family/Rarijack episode :P

And at this point I'll take my Twilight power hour over Starlight stroking any day, thank you. One Mane member is still better than none. Heh, and they say I'm a pessimist.

9 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I am all for this if it means that Equestria Girls will be unquestionably canon from here on out.

You will never convince me that those hooman abomination are canon. 

5 hours ago, ryanmahaffe said:

Well Pinkie can only break the 4th wall when the situation isn't that serious likely, I didn't like the Discord magic stopper but it was obviously needed

Cartoon physics != breaking the 4th wall. It's so annoying when bronies misuse the term. Not once has Pinkie Pie actually broken the fourth wall, the closed we got was an iris gag Twilight was also a part of. 

2 hours ago, Hierok said:

Twilight hour is not the same as only the princesses useless, but the rest of the characters too. Like the season 5 finale.

They weren't useless in that episode, they were just absent. 

1 hour ago, Ganondox said:

You will never convince me that those hooman abomination are canon. 

Cartoon physics != breaking the 4th wall. It's so annoying when bronies misuse the term. Not once has Pinkie Pie actually broken the fourth wall, the closed we got was an iris gag Twilight was also a part of. 

They weren't useless in that episode, they were just absent. 

Who gives a damn? Pinkie has shaken the camera, looked into and talked, it's more than close enough to breaking the 4th wall

45 minutes ago, ryanmahaffe said:

Who gives a damn? Pinkie has shaken the camera, looked into and talked, it's more than close enough to breaking the 4th wall

People who actually know what they are talking about and would like to discuss literary theory. It's not at all close, they are done for completely different reasons. 

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

People who actually know what they are talking about and would like to discuss literary theory. It's not at all close, they are done for completely different reasons. 

So Pinkie grabbing the camera and shouting "he wants all of the cakes" or shaking her head no at the camera as the shot closes aren't close to breaking the 4th wall? It is, exactly that actually, talking to the camera is just that. 

Yes, because Pinkie Pie breaking the laws of physics in the show and showing 4th wall level feats is the same thing as just the cartoon logic.

Clearly anyone who disagrees just has no idea what they are talking about and shouldn't discuss show theories at all.

Edited by ryanmahaffe

(edited)
35 minutes ago, ryanmahaffe said:

So Pinkie grabbing the camera and shouting "he wants all of the cakes" or shaking her head no at the camera as the shot closes aren't close to breaking the 4th wall? It is, exactly that actually, talking to the camera is just that. 

Yes, because Pinkie Pie breaking the laws of physics in the show and showing 4th wall level feats is the same thing as just the cartoon logic.

Clearly anyone who disagrees just has no idea what they are talking about and shouldn't discuss show theories at all.

No, it is not and here is why:

Imagine you are filming a documentary and someone you comes and shakes your camera and talks to it. Are they breaking the 4th wall? No, because they exist in the same scope of reality as the viewer. Breaking the 4th wall requires awareness that the character acknowledges they are a fictional entity, and interacting with the camera or other elements of the medium as if they were diegetic elements is not enough to make the call, in order for medium awareness to apply as breaking the fourth wall they would have to be treating the medium as non-diegetic. The camera might as well be an object she pulled out of her hair, not the seperation between our world and theirs. What it is is a cartoon gag, just like her breaking physics. Key traits to look for in a cartoon gag is that it doesn't make sense in the context of the internal universe, it has no impact on the plot, and that it utilizes the animation medium for comedic effect. 

Here is an example of the distinction:

In the intro both Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie interact with the medium, but only Pinkie Pie actually breaks the fourth wall. 

PS: Bronies treating cartoon physics like it's breaking the fourth wall is exactly what's so annoying. Even though Pinkie shaking the camera isn't actually breaking the wall, it's understandable how someone could come to the conclusion, while treating cartoon physics as such demonstrates a complete ignorance of the meaning of the term. 

Edited by Ganondox

6 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Imagine you are filming a documentary and someone you comes and shakes your camera and talks to it. Are they breaking the 4th wall? No, because they exist in the same scope of reality as the viewer. Breaking the 4th wall requires awareness that the character acknowledges they are a fictional entity, and interacting with the camera or other elements of the medium as if they were diegetic elements is not enough to make the call, in order for medium awareness to apply as breaking the fourth wall they would have to be treating the medium as non-diegetic. What it is is a cartoon gag, just like her breaking physics. Key traits to look for in a cartoon gag is that it doesn't make sense in the context of the internal universe, it has no impact on the plot, and that it utilizes the animation medium for comedic effect. 

In the intro both Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie interact with the medium, but only Pinkie Pie actually breaks the fourth wall. 

PS: Bronies treating cartoon physics like it's breaking the fourth wall is exactly what's so annoying. Even though Pinkie shaking the camera isn't actually breaking the wall, it's understandable how someone could come to the conclusion, while treating cartoon physics as such demonstrates a complete ignorance of the meaning of the term. 

One, why are you singling out bronies when most fandoms say it's a 4th wall break when a character does a Pinkie level feat.

In that case, Pinkie has actually acknowledged the reader in the comics if I recall correctly, which means she is a 4th wall breaker at least in comic canon, no?

(edited)
14 minutes ago, ryanmahaffe said:

One, why are you singling out bronies when most fandoms say it's a 4th wall break when a character does a Pinkie level feat.

In that case, Pinkie has actually acknowledged the reader in the comics if I recall correctly, which means she is a 4th wall breaker at least in comic canon, no?

Because they are the ones who do it all the time, I've only seen bronies use breaking the 4th wall to refer to cartoon physics. It's entirely due to the Pinkie Pie meme, originally it was used correctly (it referred to fan theory which was based on her looking at the camera in one episode, but she was actually just looking at a character off screen), and then people started associating breaking the fourth wall with every little gag of hers, even those which are completely unrelated.

She may very well have broken the 4th wall in the comics, but they're different from the show, they have different rules and are closer to fan content.

Edited by Ganondox

19 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Imagine you are filming a documentary and someone you comes and shakes your camera and talks to it. Are they breaking the 4th wall? No, because they exist in the same scope of reality as the viewer. Breaking the 4th wall requires awareness that the character acknowledges they are a fictional entity, and interacting with the camera or other elements of the medium as if they were diegetic elements is not enough to make the call, in order for medium awareness to apply as breaking the fourth wall they would have to be treating the medium as non-diegetic. The camera might as well be an object she pulled out of her hair, not the seperation between our world and theirs. What it is is a cartoon gag, just like her breaking physics. Key traits to look for in a cartoon gag is that it doesn't make sense in the context of the internal universe, it has no impact on the plot, and that it utilizes the animation medium for comedic effect. 

While I sense some frustration with this but you do know what the fourth wall actually refers to? Of a room on a television screen, the audience looking at the screen sees three walls: One on the left, one on the right, and one behind the characters in the scene. The fourth wall would be behind the camera but since the camera never shows this wall on screen the camera essentially becomes the fourth wall and in most fiction and especially in a cartoon the camera is not a character within these walls so acknowledging it's existence is acknowledging you are in a fictional world being captured by this non-existent camera. Really it's yes and no messing with the camera is not essentially breaking the fourth wall, just messing with it. In terms of what you referred with Pinkie talking to the editor and the editor talking back that actually kind of isn't either, because essentially the editor becomes it's own character inside those walls. It's true there are differences between teatering on the fourth wall and actually breaking it, breaking it comes more from acknowledging the wall's extistence and in turn the audience watching this fictional world (Such as Pinkie spouting off her excitedness for the series to the audience in episode two, or Deadpool moving the camera so the audience won't see the violence) and unless there is actually a character holding the camera that is breaking the fourth wall.

(edited)
2 hours ago, KH7672 said:

While I sense some frustration with this but you do know what the fourth wall actually refers to? Of a room on a television screen, the audience looking at the screen sees three walls: One on the left, one on the right, and one behind the characters in the scene. The fourth wall would be behind the camera but since the camera never shows this wall on screen the camera essentially becomes the fourth wall and in most fiction and especially in a cartoon the camera is not a character within these walls so acknowledging it's existence is acknowledging you are in a fictional world being captured by this non-existent camera. Really it's yes and no messing with the camera is not essentially breaking the fourth wall, just messing with it. In terms of what you referred with Pinkie talking to the editor and the editor talking back that actually kind of isn't either, because essentially the editor becomes it's own character inside those walls. It's true there are differences between teatering on the fourth wall and actually breaking it, breaking it comes more from acknowledging the wall's extistence and in turn the audience watching this fictional world (Such as Pinkie spouting off her excitedness for the series to the audience in episode two, or Deadpool moving the camera so the audience won't see the violence) and unless there is actually a character holding the camera that is breaking the fourth wall.

Yeah, no. It's a reference to the theatrical stage, not the tv, and the term is used metaphorically, as a literary term it has nothing to do with literally talking to audience (which has a much different effect in theater than tv anyway because the audience can interact back, that was actually the status quo in the Elizabethan era before naturalism took off). Considering the concept is significantly older than the camera you treating it like it's defined by such is a pretty blatant misunderstanding of the term. Interacting with the camera even if there is no implied cameraman is not necessarily breaking the fourth wall because it's a trend for the medium rather than a narrative use, that's like saying Shakespeare's asides are breaking the fourth wall. He did break the fourth wall, but the asides are meant to be used to show the audience the character's thoughts, not to actually be the character's attempt of communicating with the audience. 

Anyway, it's not Pinkie talking with the narrator character which breaks the fourth wall (after all Rainbow Dash also does that), it's acknowledging that their life is divided into episodes. I forgot about the end of episode 2 of the actual show (I remembered it as being a commercial), so I guess that probably counts (not necessarily though because there are a couple moments where the animation has her interact with the iris and appear to be talking to the audience, but she is actually replying to a character, eg. the end of The Last Roundup), but again, the purpose is different, and it wasn't what people were referring to when they initially talked about her breaking the fourth wall all the time: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pinkie-pie-breaking-the-4th-wall#fn11. Pinkie's antics are meant to be homage to early cartoons which were deliberately anti-realistic so to make the most use of the medium, not to portray her as being aware she is in a cartoon (or even actually has magical powers beyond her Pinkie Sense), and other ponies sometimes do gag stuff in the last few seconds as well which shouldn't be taken as canon. Jack's depiction of Pinkie is what she'd be like if she actually broke the fourth wall willy-nilly rather than being a silly pony. 

I guess what it really boils down to is I really hate overused fandom memes based on the most minor things which people take way too seriously. The other one I despise is Lyra being obsessed with hands. 

Edited by Ganondox

1 hour ago, Ganondox said:

Yeah, no. It's a reference to the theatrical stage, not the tv, and the term is used metaphorically, as a literary term it has nothing to do with literally talking to audience (which has a much different effect in theater than tv anyway because the audience can interact back, that was actually the status quo in the Elizabethan era before naturalism took off). Considering the concept is significantly older than the camera you treating it like it's defined by such is a pretty blatant misunderstanding of the term. Interacting with the camera even if there is no implied cameraman is not necessarily breaking the fourth wall because it's a trend for the medium rather than a narrative use, that's like saying Shakespeare's asides are breaking the fourth wall. He did break the fourth wall, but the asides are meant to be used to show the audience the character's thoughts, not to actually be the character's attempt of communicating with the audience. 

Anyway, it's not Pinkie talking with the narrator character which breaks the fourth wall (after all Rainbow Dash also does that), it's acknowledging that their life is divided into episodes. I forgot about the end of episode 2 of the actual show (I remembered it as being a commercial), so I guess that probably counts (not necessarily though because there are a couple moments where the animation has her interact with the iris and appear to be talking to the audience, but she is actually replying to a character, eg. the end of The Last Roundup), but again, the purpose is different, and it wasn't what people were referring to when they initially talked about her breaking the fourth wall all the time: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pinkie-pie-breaking-the-4th-wall#fn11. Pinkie's antics are meant to be homage to early cartoons which were deliberately anti-realistic so to make the most use of the medium, not to portray her as being aware she is in a cartoon (or even actually has magical powers beyond her Pinkie Sense), and other ponies sometimes do gag stuff in the last few seconds as well which shouldn't be taken as canon. Jack's depiction of Pinkie is what she'd be like if she actually broke the fourth wall willy-nilly rather than being a silly pony. 

I guess what it really boils down to is I really hate overused fandom based on the most minor things which people take way too seriously. The other one I despise is Lyra being obsessed with hands. 

Okay, ignoring everything else you said because this topic seems finished

I agree, Lyra hand obsession jokes are the worst, I also hate gamer Luna, and psycho Pinkie

Anyway, we all got off topic somewhat.

I hope a bigger synopsis comes from what this comic is soon.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

If the finale is gonna tie into the comics, does that mean Shadowlock might appear?

I highly doubt it, as not everyone who watches the show will read the comics. While it's cool we have cross-media to expand the story, they should never split the focus from the core product. In other words, the core product should remain self standing. It's not cool if there's some important backstory that you'll miss if you don't know it from another official source 

• 2 months later...

I've found that the comics are kind of back stories to the show, but not always. I have watched the leaked finale, so I can't properly answer the question without possibly spoiling others. If you really want to know the answer, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you.