Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Too much slice of life.

CastletonSnob

I personally feel that the show has too many slice of life episodes. I think there should be more adventure episodes.The world the show takes place in is oozing with potential for lore and worldbuilding, and I feel it's going to waste. 

• Brohoof 2

Too much slice of life? MLP is slice of life and is the strongest when it has slice of life stories. If you want adventure you can read the comics, or re watch gravity falls.

• Brohoof 5

Too much adventure could make the show lose its focus on the characters, its biggest strength. We also most likely wouldn't get the personal and relatable moments from those characters. It would focus too much on excitement and adventure, which can be perfectly fine, but it doesn't match well with the theme of the show. Slice of life is far more relaxing and easy to get a message across with. So I say they stick to what they have.

• Brohoof 4

The characters' interactions are the best part of the Slice of Life episodes. Yes, I love adventure episodes once in a while, but if I wanted a complex MLP story that focuses on adventure, I'd go read or write some fan fiction.

• Brohoof 1

Slice of life episodes are what i love about this show anyway but i think we need some adventure episodes for more exciting stuffs like new creatures, new places, and new lore. Many episodes in Ponyville will be a bit boring, dont you think ;)

Since the mane six have jobs and aspirations outside of their adventures, it seems like a pure adventure episode has few opportunities for character development or relatable storytelling. Why would the characters explore the world, anyway? The best reasons I could think of would be either vacationing or business, and both lend themselves more to a slice-of-life story type. You could also use the cutie map, but that makes for very impersonal stories which generally don't incite character development or a relatable conflict, and as such are hard to give the same depth as slice-of-life episodes. Maybe a slice-of-life in a different environment would be a good compromise. 

Admittedly, before the map, the show sometimes contrived personal reasons for adventures, but the more we learn about the main characters, the fewer possible excuses there are for this. I think we have more slice-of-life just because it suits the show's characters, tone, and brand of humour better. 

That said, seeing these ponies in new locations would be fun.

Maybe not adventure, but maybe characters can visit more places. Also maybe go on an adventure but not on screen. I personally wpuld like Rainbow to be on a mission with wonderbolts and so doesn't show up during s8. :grin:

This is just my opinion, but, Season 1 is my favorite because of slice of life.and is also why Im fond of season 2-3.  Adventure episodes belong only as the very first and last episodes of a season to set up and conclude that season's over arching story/ theme. But having slice of life leave ponyville would be interesting. Like Maybe have them visit mutual friends in different areas to let us see new lands. Like how they visited appleloosa and learned about the native equestrians. (The Buffalo if you didn't get my reference)

I don't believe the show necessarily needs to have more adventure based episodes, but I do think it could benefit from showing some new locations every once and a while.

The show takes place in an interesting fantasy world and I feel that it is a shame that the show doesn't always take advantage of that.

Adventure episodes we do get are subpar and slice-o-life often fails to use the fantasy world to its fullest potential. Plus, those who say action adventure inhibits character growth and interactions are lying. An adventure can make bitter enemies become the closest of friends.

P.S: HOLLOW SHADES WHEn?!

Slice of Life episodes are what the show does best. Saying there's too much slice of life episodes is like saying Mario has too much platformers

• Brohoof 1

Don't you guy know that the show was supposed to blend both adventure and slice of life saying "it's a slice of life show" is disingenuous when it literally goes against the original vision of the show.

Adventure episodes are usually very good, as are the more "epic" serious ones like Dragonshy, Gauntlet of Fire, A Royal Problem, Stranger than Fan Fiction, etc.

I love slice of life, but having 5-6 adventure episodes per season would be nice.

Agreed about there being a bit too little Adventure for my tastes. I have no issue with Slice of life as many of the best episodes have been slice of life-- but at the same time, variety is the slice of life, and I'm a huge sucker for Magical girl stuff. The Fact that the two episodes of the show promised more magical girl shenanigans is one of the big reasons why I decided to give the show a watch after all.
Its also kind of funny how adventure episodes seem to have hit an all time low this season, given how they have the GOH series they're trying to sell with a big focus on action and fighting.

One thing though, if they were to want to do adventure episodes, they'd have to actually *get serious* about not reforming everyone-- for adventure scenarios to thrive you need recurring antagonists and need to accept that NOT EVERYONE SHOULD BE BEFRIENDED (Which is actually faust's original idea for alot of the show given how she made Griffon the brush off to show that you can't just befriend everyone and how she described trixie in far more dangerous/antagonistic terms than one would think of for her now).

Keep the good antagonists evil or petty, and don't turn everyone into a friend (LOOKING AT YOU CHANGELINGS)