Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is Spike really that dumb?

Theknightofdraconia

I realized in Dragon Quest. Why did Spike waste his time with Twilight?! Why didn't he go ask Celestia, surely she would know where he came from, I'm under the impression that he just loves being a slave, even when others try to help him.

Spike: "Hmmm, I can either rule the dragons as supreme leader, or go to a million and one other places and act as an ambassador to make for better adventures and allow Starlight to be the new sidekick, or remain a servant....easy, it's way more fun being a useless sidekick and abused child, so I choose dis!(derp)

Twilight: "(sigh) Of course you do, at least I tried."

Edited by Theknightofdraconia

24 minutes ago, Brainstorm said:

Spike isn't dumb, it probably didn't come to mind to ask Celestia cause she was busy. But, he does a lot for the Twilight and the others, Starlight, Thorax, and Ember.

Oh no, he is. Had he had any real character he would have said this

Spike"Actually, I'm not a dragon or a pony. I'm just Spike."

His greatest fear is being fired from his job(the only thing he has known is being a slave) so until the actress or showrunners say "Spike is not a slave! He is family" then in sorry he is a useless, self hating lizard.

Spike needs to think about thinking before he thinks about thinking about a thought (his brain isn’t fully developed because he’s a young male dragon) 

Edited by Jade The Pegasister
I needed to actually think about what I was typing
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Jade The Pegasister said:

Spike needs to think about thinking before he thinks about thinking about a thought (his brain isn’t fully developed because he’s a young male dragon) 

Nah, he just needs to actually think. And stop being a lazy, useless, fake dragon.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Theknightofdraconia said:

Nah, he just needs to actually think. And stop being a lazy, useless, fake dragon.

He just needs more character development and episodes that prove his worth 

but you don’t seem like you like spike so I’ll shut up now :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Jade The Pegasister said:

He just needs more character development and episodes that prove his worth 

but you don’t seem like you like spike so I’ll shut up now :wacko:

It's disgusting to see the only one of his species as a servant. It's uncomfortable, I wish he was just a male little foal, then there would be nothing to complain about.

character growth?! Ha! You give the writers way too much credit.

Ah, no Y'all! Spike is no slave! He is little brother and son to Twilight! Which, frankly, is kind of a messed-up dynamic, but realistic all the same. Would you chose to leave your family to move across the world to start over all again in the country your heritage derives from? Would you wish for royalty after being raised by somepony as high-strung and stressed about it as Twilight Sparkle has been? Spike is first and foremost the male side of this show. He has his faults, his greed, loyalty to the point of being a nob. He was raised pony and wouldn't give up the life has has cultivated for all the friends, connections and adventures he has made!

It's like how Rarity may whine incessantly about the uncouth ends traveling with her friends have gotten her into. Sure, it has its downsides, but it was nonetheless an experience that wouldn't be traded for the whim of a moment! 

...besides... once Spike has tasted the life of being indoors, not having to constantly fight with other dragons, not hunt for his food and have ready access to pastry shops and civilized life (like probably running water and reliable weather) he probably wouldn't look forward to living like an angry miser in a cave! Though... that is undeniably a dragon thing to do... so I'm thoroughly split myself on that notion.

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Widdershins said:

Ah, no Y'all! Spike is no slave! He is little brother and son to Twilight! Which, frankly, is kind of a messed-up dynamic, but realistic all the same. Would you chose to leave your family to move across the world to start over all again in the country your heritage derives from? Would you wish for royalty after being raised by somepony as high-strung and stressed about it as Twilight Sparkle has been? Spike is first and foremost the male side of this show. He has his faults, his greed, loyalty to the point of being a nob. He was raised pony and wouldn't give up the life has has cultivated for all the friends, connections and adventures he has made!

It's like how Rarity may whine incessantly about the uncouth ends traveling with her friends have gotten her into. Sure, it has its downsides, but it was nonetheless an experience that wouldn't be traded for the whim of a moment! 

...besides... once Spike has tasted the life of being indoors, not having to constantly fight with other dragons, not hunt for his food and have ready access to pastry shops and civilized life (like probably running water and reliable weather) he probably wouldn't look forward to living like an angry miser in a cave! Though... that is undeniably a dragon thing to do... so I'm thoroughly split myself on that notion.

Ha, suuuuuuree.

tara strong said Spike was a pet on twitter. Slave. End of story.

• Brohoof 1

@VG_Addict Because he already is now? We are talking about the dragon that stares in confusion at why he has no cake to bake when he's been reflexively eating all of his ingredients? Proud of that guy, I am!

I like to assume that Spike has pretty much gotten over his puppy love of Rarity by now. Sure, he blushed at her in the movie, but I hold that accountable to it being a big shindig she brushied up for and that the animation was flippin' incredible!

8 minutes ago, Theknightofdraconia said:

Ha, suuuuuuree.

Pyeeeeh~, Is this "Tara Stronk" the entirety of the show, eh what? Is she Equestria as a whole, eh what?

Besides, I equate slavery to the force involved. Like, whips & chains. I really don't think Twilight makes frequent use of whi-  Okay, I'll stop talking now.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Widdershins said:

@VG_Addict Because he already is now? We are talking about the dragon that stares in confusion at why he has no cake to bake when he's been reflexively eating all of his ingredients? Proud of that guy, I am!

I like to assume that Spike has pretty much gotten over his puppy love of Rarity by now. Sure, he blushed at her in the movie, but I hold that accountable to it being a big shindig she brushied up for and that the animation was flippin' incredible!

Pyeeeeh~, Is this "Tara Stronk" the entirety of the show, eh what? Is she Equestria as a whole, eh what?

Besides, I equate slavery to the force involved. Like, whips & chains. I really don't think Twilight makes frequent use of whi-  Okay, I'll stop talking now.

I mean, he's smart, but he'd rather eat gems and read comic books than do the work Twilight assigns him. 

1 hour ago, Theknightofdraconia said:

I realized in Dragon Quest. Why did Spike waste his time with Twilight?! Why didn't he go ask Celestia

Because Twilight was there and Celestia was not. You cannot expect someone to always know the optimal course of action in a given situation, particularly if they are young. To dump on Spike for not having the best ideas at all times is unfair.

40 minutes ago, Theknightofdraconia said:

It's disgusting to see the only one of his species as a servant.

That's putting dragons on a pedestal. Besides, there is nothing disgusting about being a servant. It may not be as prestigious as princess or dragon lord, but it is a perfectly valid occupation.

16 minutes ago, Theknightofdraconia said:

Tara is not a writer. Her statements do not qualify as Word of God.

As for Spike being a slave, he is currently underage, and therefore subject to the same restrictions that any minor would be subject to (Although it is implied that if Spike chose to stay in the dragon lands, they would have let him). But can you point to any piece of evidence that suggests that, when Spike comes of age, he would not be allowed to leave?

It can be argued that Spike is a servant, but there is no evidence that he is a slave.

• Brohoof 1

Oh no, he is. Had he had any real character he would have said this

Spike"Actually, I'm not a dragon or a pony. I'm just Spike."

His greatest fear is being fired from his job(the only thing he has known is being a slave) so until the actress or showrunners say "Spike is not a slave! He is family" then in sorry he is a useless, self hating lizard.

No way, Spike is important to Twilight and the others, he isn't dumb in any way.

• Brohoof 1

No, I'm done questioning about Spike's role on the show. Whatever happens, happens. Whether the writers decide to move his development along smoothly or decide to keep stalling it by keeping him just for comedic measures is completely up to them. They got their show, I got mine. Simple as that! ;) 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Yeah, three minutes of Celestias time is way too much for an orphan/slave/only one of his kind for miles to ask for...i call b.s.

Glumshanks from Skylanders has more dignity then Spike(all that's missing is for Twilight to throw a beverage in his face)

Yep, that's right, I'm comparing the relationship of Twi and Barney Jr((AKA spike) to that of Kaos and Glumshanks(look it up on YouTube) 

3 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

I mean, he's smart, but he'd rather eat gems and read comic books than do the work Twilight assigns him. 

That's true, but I'm sure a lot of people (and ponies?) would say the same about their jobs, even if they consider them enjoyable.

I don't think Spike's situation is that bad. He does some chores for Twilight and gets to live in a castle. Not many can say that about themselves. B) And it's obvious Spike is more than a pet (although Equestria Girls does imply that), he's a friend of the Mane 6. In "Dragon Quest", they (or rather three of them) helped him when he was in danger, and they also looked out for him in "Gauntlet of Fire". In "Owl's Well That Ends Well", we saw how much Spike cares about Twilight (though his actions in that episode were questionable). He doesn't have any dragon friends apart from Ember so why not stay with the ones who love him?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
34 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

That's true, but I'm sure a lot of people (and ponies?) would say the same about their jobs, even if they consider them enjoyable.

I don't think Spike's situation is that bad. He does some chores for Twilight and gets to live in a castle. Not many can say that about themselves. B) And it's obvious Spike is more than a pet (although Equestria Girls does imply that), he's a friend of the Mane 6. In "Dragon Quest", they (or rather three of them) helped him when he was in danger, and they also looked out for him in "Gauntlet of Fire". In "Owl's Well That Ends Well", we saw how much Spike cares about Twilight (though his actions in that episode were questionable). He doesn't have any dragon friends apart from Ember so why not stay with the ones who love him?

Whatever helps you sleep.

i still hold the position, that he is a pet(slave) and until I see otherwise, I will hold this.

And why not return to the heartland? Make new friends, start a new life, help the dragons become better. That's faaar more useful then doing useless work.

Really him staying in the dragonlands and having Ember as his General would have been the best thing to conclude his character. 

-He came home to the heartland 

-Became dictator(vassal for Equestria)

-Helps guide the dragons to a new era.

really there's nothing more, just let Starlight be the useless sidekick.

Because I know there wrong? But whatever floats your boat.

They are not wrong at all. :orly: You do not seem to listen. 

Spike is a solid character and is pretty important and everything but lazy and dumb. Twilight is his family and it understandable that he is afraid of losing her. How would you feel if you lose your family?

• Brohoof 5