Modern Rock Music?

Nightfall Gloam

Hello, everyone!

After watching a video today on YouTube, I was just wondering if any of you listen to any modern rock and if so, what are your favourite bands and/or songs? I was also just a bit curious about this subject, since I've noticed there isn't really anything I could consider rock in the charts (with some exceptions), as they are currently dominated by electronic and/or rap music, and I would like to further expand my musical scope...

• Brohoof 1

Aspiring animator/illustrator, founder of MLPF's Lighthoof and Shimmy Shake fan club!

"The magic of friendship grows"

Been a rock/metal fan all my life, all I can say is that modern rock is a new step for the rock music, of course, but I don't like it at all!

I think that modern rock isn't and will never be as good as old British rock bands (and american) such like the beatles, pink floyd, deep purple, led zeppelin etc.. are.

There are some modern rock bands that are quite good but I'll stick to the old school.

But I respect everyone's taste, it's a subjective opinion after all.

Rock music is the best music. I can't stand a lot of today's pop and rap. There are some good songs in there, and even a few great ones, but for the most part, today's music is bland and repetitive.

Except modern rock!

I personally love to listen to harder rock/metal, so if that's your kind of music, I recommend bands like Stone Sour. They have a great variety of songs, some are slow, some are scream-y, and some are just rockin'. Linkin Park and Foo Fighters are also great bands. (R.I.P. Chester Bennington):(

• Brohoof 2

FinalM6Banner.png.1fc5746b51cf455ac51ccb9004ac818a.png

MLP Forums' own PUNK ROCK pony!

Alternative rock, pop punk, punk rock, and a lil’ bit of emo. ;) 

Just now, Rhythm Red said:

Rock music is the best music. I can't stand a lot of today's pop and rap. There are some good songs in there, and even a few great ones, but for the most part, today's music is bland and repetitive.

Except modern rock!

I personally love to listen to harder rock/metal, so if that's your kind of music, I recommend bands like Stone Sour. They have a great variety of songs, some are slow, some are scream-y, and some are just rockin'. Linkin Park and Foo Fighters are also great bands. (R.I.P. Chester Bennington):(

Wow you got me with Chester, linkin park is indeed good, aswell as foo fighters, RIP Chester :c

I think rock has fallen to the way side for two reasons. People in america have poor taste, hence why pop and rap dominate the charts. And 2. Rock has been over taken as the most intense, aggressive and complex form of music by heavy metal. It can't really keep up. 

It still has a place. It just won't be because it's popular or because it suits people looking for a little more epicness from their music. 

Barring that, there is still good stuff being made. 

• Brohoof 2

DENIMVENOM.jpg.044401b86728c9eacc741b8d13926f4e.jpg

19 minutes ago, Cyraonubite said:

Been a rock/metal fan all my life, all I can say is that modern rock is a new step for the rock music, of course, but I don't like it at all!

I think that modern rock isn't and will never be as good as old British rock bands (and american) such like the beatles, pink floyd, deep purple, led zeppelin etc.. are.

There are some modern rock bands that are quite good but I'll stick to the old school.

But I respect everyone's taste, it's a subjective opinion after all.

Yeah, as you said, as good as the bands I mentioned are, you just can't beat the classics. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, and Pink Floyd are some of my personal favorite bands. While they may not be 'modern', it's still worth looking through some of the more lesser-known songs of these bands. You may find something you like!

Listen to the older bands too, they made some of the best songs in music history.:)

• Brohoof 1

FinalM6Banner.png.1fc5746b51cf455ac51ccb9004ac818a.png

MLP Forums' own PUNK ROCK pony!

Alternative rock, pop punk, punk rock, and a lil’ bit of emo. ;) 

Could you define "modern"? I see modern rock as stuff post 2000s because I primarily listen to old stuff. Also the fact that the genre of rock has evolved, so a ton of songs that wouldn't be considered rock a while ago are considered rock now.

I only know one band that has kept the "spirit" of old rock, and that's Airbourne. I'd recommend these albums if you haven't heard em, though I guess they're moreso hard rock.

Black Dog Barking (2013)

Breakin' Outta Hell (2016)

Thing is though a lot of people would consider these albums already old, so I can't really help you with rock that came out last year. Plus I'm in the same boat, I'm sure really good rock bands still exist, I just haven't found them yet, so I hope people bring up names here.

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, SomeCoffee said:

Could you define "modern"? I see modern rock as stuff post 2000s

I define "modern" as anything made from 2009-present.

Wouldn't mind some that are in the spirit of older music, but, I'm open to some newer sounds mixed in...

Aspiring animator/illustrator, founder of MLPF's Lighthoof and Shimmy Shake fan club!

"The magic of friendship grows"

I love all types of rock and roll, and I prefer most of the stuff anywhere between the 90s and up until 2009. If you are saying that modern rock is anything 2009 to present, then I guess there are some bands that are making modern rock music that I like. Interestingly, a great deal of some of my favorite albums by my favorite bands came out in 2009, so I guess that was when some of the modern sound came in, and I guess I like having a bit of it. For the most part though, one thing I don't like about a lot of modern rock is that there is too much of a pop sound creeping in and taking over. A lot of songs that people classify as modern rock hardly have any guitar in them, with more emphasis on keyboards and effects. I think what defines is an emphasis on electric guitar, drums, bass, and hard hitting or punky sounding vocals. Oh and did I say extensive use of electric guitars?

That being said, I do think there are some bands that do a better job at maintaining a more defined rock sound post 2009 such as Skillet, The Killers, and P.O.D. (Payable On Death), as well as Green Day and Thirty Seconds To Mars. So there is still good modern rock being made, just not as good sometimes as the old classic stuff. But that is because rock music for the most part has fallen out of favor, and the world moves on to the next big craze, pop music. It is just how things go.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a big fan of rock music, but I've never much cared for metal, and that's unfortunately the preference of most rock-oriented folk anymore, which limits me a bit. That being said, there are good acts out there, but it just takes a little digging to find them.

Two acts that have caught my attention lately are Alvvays and Mondo Cozmo. Pretty different sounding acts, but neither could be called metal and you can still actually hear the guitar!

Edited by BlueStreak98
  • Brohoof 3

"I still believe that peace and plenty and happiness can be worked out some way. I am a fool."

-Kurt Vonnegut

I stay away from the kind of modern rock that is mostly played on the radio and tend to listen mostly to metal and other sub-genres of rock like stoner rock, psychedelic rock, space rock etc.

In case you want to read more about stoner rock, go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_rock

Or go to youtube and search for Kyuss - Green Machine, and Sleep - Dragonaut. Those two bands are the pioneers of that genre.

• Brohoof 1

ezgif.com-resize.gif

• 4 months later...

I know I'm a bit late, but here's some suggestions I could give. Personally, I'm not as into rock as I am metal and such, but there are a few bands that I quite enjoy, such as...

Demon Hunter-The name may throw you off, and a lot of people don't like them because they're Christian Metal, but music is music, right? They might be in the genre metal, but I like classifying them as hard rock. :please:

Chevelle-These guys are one of my favorites, and like another suggestion coming up, they have managed to keep their own sound for years. I'd suggest the songs Closure and The Red.

Breaking Benjamin-Another very talented band, these guys have been around since the early 2000's, maybe even later I think. Good songs to listen to by them would be Cold, Diary of Jane, and Breath for their older tracks!

Tool-How could I not include these guys, even if they are metal. Just listen to them and you would understand why :P

There are plenty more to choose from, but those are the ones I really like. Once you get into this type of music, a whole new slew of choices will follow! Enjoy, and be sure to Head-Bang like a champ! :)

Guitarist, Metalhead, and a Brony!     Favorite Bands---Meshuggah/Thornhill/Vildhjarta/Chevelle

• 1 year later...

All this talking about modern rock and I'm surprised no one has even mentioned the post-punk revival era in the early to mid 2000s. Multiple bands from the post-punk revival era are still here to this day, and the genre mixes the rawness and aesthetics of garage rock with the DIY ethic of post-punk. The Strokes, Interpol, and The White Stripes (most people probably know them for "Seven Nation Army") really pioneered the genre at the turn of the 21st century, and while The White Stripes has disbanded, Jack White is still actively producing and releasing music. And then there were other post-punk revival bands that popped up in the mid-2000s: Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, and The Killers. There are also other bands like The Black Keys, Muse, and Arcade Fire, both of which are influential bands in their own right. And Modest Mouse and Weezer – both 90s bands – are still active. Nine Inch Nails is still keeping industrial rock alive as well.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:52 PM, Denim&Venom said:

I think rock has fallen to the way side for two reasons. People in america have poor taste, hence why pop and rap dominate the charts. And 2. Rock has been over taken as the most intense, aggressive and complex form of music by heavy metal. It can't really keep up. 

It still has a place. It just won't be because it's popular or because it suits people looking for a little more epicness from their music. 

Barring that, there is still good stuff being made. 

And I won't say that rock has fallen to the wayside – several of those bands I've mentioned have no trouble in getting massive crowds at concerts or venues, and some of their albums regularly get golds and platinums. And certain bands have enjoyed mainstream success, sometimes by mixing electronic or hip-hop, such as twenty øne pilots, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco, and Imagine Dragons. And I don't see it as any kind of "dumbing down" of musical taste – genres need to evolve and we can't always be stuck with old, restrictive standards. People need to stop being so purist and refuse to adapt with the times.

If hip-hop or pop isn't your cup of tea, that's fine, though you shouldn't poorly judge people for listening to it – especially hip-hop, which is a fairly diverse genre that spans from political hip-hop to horrorcore to trap. Maybe you should consider tolerating it as a legitimate musical genre.

I'm not really a snob for music types, but punk rock, emo rock, and alternative rock are what I'd consider my favorite genres.

My Chemical Romance has been my favorite band since seventh grade, and I don't think I've heard a song of theirs that I hated. There are a few that I don't like as much as the others, sure, but they're all good. In my opinion, anyway. I'd pick Three Cheers as my favorite album, but I like all of them for different reasons (I love the lyrics in Bullets even though the audio isn't polished, The Black Parade is a classic with a lot of great songs, and Danger Days has charm). I don't think I could pick a single song as my favorite.

Falling in Reverse is another really good band, though I'm really only a fan of two of their albums. Broken is probably my favorite song of theirs.

Pierce the Veil, Get Scared, and Set it Off also have a few songs that I really like, but I wouldn't say that I like the bands overall.

Then there's I Don't Know How But They Found Me. Their music is synth wave, so it's kind of rock, but not really. They've only got one album out right now, but it's really good. Choke is my favorite song of theirs (I don't think it's synth wave, which might be why I like it more), but it's just a single. Their music videos have a really weird aesthetic.

And, of course, I can't forget our very own Princewhateverer. I don't really like his heavier songs (Destabilize and Taking Flight have about as much screaming as I like in music; Holy Fire is just too much), but his other music is incredible. My favorite song of his changes basically every time I hear one for the first time, but right now it's Not Letting Go.

Rainbow Dash Fanatic

"You stroll down memories of younger, brighter times 'cause you never realize what you've got till you leave it all behind." ~ dBPony

"So we’re here at the end, did we teach you well, my friend? Don’t look so sad to see us go, after the rain comes rainbows." ~ Princewhateverer

"Darlin' you'll be okay." ~ Vic Fuentes

Hm... I feel like my interest in modern rock and pop really dropped off in the mid 2000s when my interests began turning back toward the 70s and 60s. Oddly enough the early 00s is a slim pocket of modern pop/rock that I enjoy as the two decades before still, for the most part disinterest me and what follows (mainstream wise) you don’t want to get me started.

nevertheless, post-2009 the one rock genre that has really shined for me has been Progressive Rock. It’s one genre where plenty of bands remain in the spotlight who properly look back to the 70s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Bbr40Xgww

sorry I couldn’t properly link. I’m stuck on my tablet, which is so different from the PC that I’m used to.

Edited by Envy

mlpwoodwinds.jpg
Everything needs more woodwind!

Yeh.. I grew out of heavy/death/ black metal rock as I got older. Although I still into rocks in general  but I’m just looking more into if they got the beat, the lyrics and the rhythms to their music. If not, trash regardless if its modern or classic. 

ezgif-3-2022f43b7e48.gif.cc21d01322ba58d07570880d654a323e.gif.329d04ca2e8802045b40325a74a30f1d.gif

♪ "I practice every day to find some clever lines to say, to make the meaning come through"♪

If you want decent rock and metal from the current era, unfortunately, American stuff is really not the place to look. I've listened to my share and while there are some bands I like, most of it I find to be kinda dull. Okay enough, but doesn't have any substance to it. Just shit about women or drugs or something equally banal. As of late, when I look for something new, I check out Europe, specifically the Nordic countries. Norway, Sweden and Finland all produce god-tier bands that have more to their songs. Sprawling epics. About dragons and shit. Much more satisfying listening.

To be fair, I don't think I have many bands that are only 2009 and newer that are new and aren't formed from musicians who have been in other bands before. That said, however, if you're interested in that scene, and want something other than Blind Guardian or Sonata Arctica, give Sabaton, Rhapsody, Powerwolf and Ayreon a listen. To be fair, Ayreon started in the mid-90s but their albums are listening experiences you won't soon forget. Hell, anything Arjen Lucassen is involved with is good for a listen. Dude's a machine. I swear.

NZG | RA2M | BBPCG

16 hours ago, The Historian said:

If you want decent rock and metal from the current era, unfortunately, American stuff is really not the place to look. I've listened to my share and while there are some bands I like, most of it I find to be kinda dull. Okay enough, but doesn't have any substance to it. Just shit about women or drugs or something equally banal. As of late, when I look for something new, I check out Europe, specifically the Nordic countries. Norway, Sweden and Finland all produce god-tier bands that have more to their songs. Sprawling epics. About dragons and shit. Much more satisfying listening.

To be fair, I don't think I have many bands that are only 2009 and newer that are new and aren't formed from musicians who have been in other bands before. That said, however, if you're interested in that scene, and want something other than Blind Guardian or Sonata Arctica, give Sabaton, Rhapsody, Powerwolf and Ayreon a listen. To be fair, Ayreon started in the mid-90s but their albums are listening experiences you won't soon forget. Hell, anything Arjen Lucassen is involved with is good for a listen. Dude's a machine. I swear.

That's kind of just power metal. It's an interesting and fun genre in of itself, but you shouldn't really dismiss most of rock like that. Maybe you've been listening to too much top 40s and mainstream radio stations and you have to just dig deeper. Like I said before, there are plenty of great contemporary rock bands and musicians: Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys, Jack White, Arcade Fire, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend...and  alternative rock bands from the 90s like the Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, and Queens of the Stone Age are still active. Rock may no longer be the top genre of the music industry but it is far from stale. And some of these bands are capable of making deep and insightful albums and songs.

There are some recent bands that do stand out though. The Struts, Rival Sons, and Fleet Foxes are good examples. Nowadays it's a bit harder for indie bands to get mainstream attention simply because of strong competition and the fact that rock no longer dominates mainstream music anymore, not without adopting pop, electronic, or hip-hop (ex: Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy, twenty øne piløts) into their songs. The Black Keys was basically underground for the first seven years until they got mainstream attention with Attack and Release.

18 hours ago, Frostgage said:

Greta Van Fleet is a good one (although, they're heralded as a Led Zeppelin throwback so maybe not what this thread is looking for? still). This song is awesome.

Eh, their albums aren't something to write home about. I tend to focus and listen entire albums rather than specifically pick out the singles to listen to. Not to mention they sound too much like Led Zeppelin – which actually makes their flaws stick out more when they are inevitably compared to each other. They need to find their own sound and be more original. I feel they are just a byproduct of people being too caught up in nostalgia and looking back at the past that they are unable to look towards the future and make something unique.

3 hours ago, Anneal said:

That's kind of just power metal. It's an interesting and fun genre in of itself, but you shouldn't really dismiss most of rock like that. Maybe you've been listening to too much top 40s and mainstream radio stations and you have to just dig deeper. Like I said before, there are plenty of great contemporary rock bands and musicians: Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys, Jack White, Arcade Fire, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend...and  alternative rock bands from the 90s like the Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, and Queens of the Stone Age are still active. Rock may no longer be the top genre of the music industry but it is far from stale. And some of these bands are capable of making deep and insightful albums and songs.

There are some recent bands that do stand out though. The Struts, Rival Sons, and Fleet Foxes are good examples. Nowadays it's a bit harder for indie bands to get mainstream attention simply because of strong competition and the fact that rock no longer dominates mainstream music anymore, not without adopting pop, electronic, or hip-hop (ex: Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy, twenty øne piløts) into their songs. The Black Keys was basically underground for the first seven years until they got mainstream attention with Attack and Release.

I've tried newer American stuff and it just doesn't click usually. It's not awful by any means but it doesn't grab me like other things do. I have rock and metal from the 60s until the present, and those range all over the map. From trippy acid rock to just plain thrash metal, and everything in between. However, things that don't have the punch I'm looking for get filtered out of the collection and things that give me a good listening experience will stay. It's not to say I don't have any American rock bands from the modern era because I sure do. But I only crack that out when I have the itch for just plain rock instead of something I have to think about to get more out of it. Suffice to say, if it's banal, I usually pass. I don't hate it or anything, but it's not my cup of tea. Had many recommendations that fell flat because I just couldn't... get into it.

I generally stick with the European side because I'm more likely to find things that interest me. But, honestly, I have bands that originate from all over the goddamn world. I tend to look outside the US so I can experience a broader range of bands from across the globe. Like, Japanese power metal isn't the same as Swedish power metal. The cultural influences of each country are something I like to look for. South American metal has a different tone to Russian metal, as another example. American stuff has kinda lost its luster for me, but I still pop it out from time to time when I need that sound.

NZG | RA2M | BBPCG

3 hours ago, The Historian said:

I generally stick with the European side because I'm more likely to find things that interest me. But, honestly, I have bands that originate from all over the goddamn world. I tend to look outside the US so I can experience a broader range of bands from across the globe. Like, Japanese power metal isn't the same as Swedish power metal. The cultural influences of each country are something I like to look for. South American metal has a different tone to Russian metal, as another example. American stuff has kinda lost its luster for me, but I still pop it out from time to time when I need that sound.

I can agree with that at least. Mainstream music tends to be overwhelmingly dominated by the Anglosphere countries and it is not very common to find non-English music in the mainstream. It's also worth pointing out how in some countries, musicians don't even follow the customs of music that we are used to in the Western world (12 tone temperance, common time signatures, pentatonic/heptatonic scale), so even the same genre of music in different countries can be wildly different in terms of structure, rhythm, and even melody.

• 5 months later...

Rock is as alive as ever, just not in the mainstream. And it hasn't gotten worse. I don't know why people say that genres or music altogether have gotten worse. Music doesn't change. There are just different ideas being represented in it now. Any music has potential to be made at any time. Just because what's coming into existence now is "worse" than stuff that already existed doesn't mean it's changed. There has always been pleasing music and not so pleasing music.

Anyway, here's some of the best rock of today in my opinion: