Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Civilization Thread

BlueCoats

Yeah, I can't get enough of playing the Civilization series, I played them all except the first two and the sixth one. I spent hours on the Playstation 3 playing Civilization Revolution until I became bored with Deity and surpassed Winston Churchill in score.

I been binging on Civilization V and Beyond Earth recently though, as in, the past week lol...

I am also a huge fan of Freeciv and C-Evo!

1 minute ago, Windseeker said:

Yeah, I can't get enough of playing the Civilization series, I played them all except the first two and the sixth one. I spent hours on the Playstation 3 playing Civilization Revolution until I became bored with Deity and surpassed Winston Churchill in score.

I been binging on Civilization V and Beyond Earth recently though, as in, the past week lol...

I am also a huge fan of Freeciv and C-Evo!

Do you ever find that Civ is fun to play, but not always fun to watch? It's really boring when I'm watching others play, but it's really fun when I'm playing it.

2 hours ago, BlueCoats said:

Do you ever find that Civ is fun to play, but not always fun to watch? It's really boring when I'm watching others play, but it's really fun when I'm playing it.

Well, to me, it's not one of those games someone with sanity should spectate. Each round lasts for hours sometimes and becomes boring to watch, especially when it's 50 turns of SimCity.

I've played almost all of them. I (on the SNES), II, III, IV, IV: Colonization, V, FreeCiv and Classic Colonization. 

I freaking love Civ IV, man. It's just so much fun, controlling 20+ cities (AT MINIMAL) and own entire continents as you struggle to rule the world, changing your civics and balancing your research/culture per turn. It's great fun and the soundtrack is amazing. The modding community is phenomenal! So many great mods, Caveman2Cosmos, Rocks2Rockets, Their was a really good mod for it that I forgot the name of, it added over 100 Civilizations, each with at least 2 leaders and had a TSL Earth. It was so much fun, had some really cool civs too, lie Inuit and Tibet. IV: Colonization is also a ton of fun, I think it gets a bit to much hate but I think it's enjoyable...it needs mods to be great though. Religion and Revolution, Werewolves! and Colonization: 2071 are great. I can't believe the game still has an active modding community, but it does!

V is great too...but everyone knows that. IV doesn't get much love nowadays. The Equestria mod for V actually started from a really old mod for IV that replaced every unit with a pony version of it. It was surprising ambitious.

Edit: I have FreeCol too but I have't played a whole lot of it.

Edited by Galaxian Darkanine

Ive only ever really played 5. Looking at getting 6 because the other half is a massive civ fan. So much so that we now own the latest board gamer version. Which is good but lacks a few bits that im used to having in 5. He has told me there is a loooooong real life version of the PC game in board game form if I really want to do it properly.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only ever played Civ Rev', because its the only one on the console, and its the simplest of the Civ's to understand. Just a couple nights ago me, @Catsle and a friend of ours were playing an engaging game of Civ... its was very late, and they wanted to go to bed. Our friend was building the World Bank trying to get an economic victory, this could not stand. So I found her city that was building the bank, and just as she was 5 turns away from victory, I nuked her. Then sent my troops to destroy the rest of her territory. I eventually won with a domination victory since I had 3/5 capitals, though if there wasn't a set amount of turns I would of crippled her empire to near nothingness. 

I own both Civilization IV and V, but I'm afraid no matter how much I try to get into the series I can't.

I do like what they've done with some of the music, though:

I knew both of these pieces beforehand. However, I do really like how they did their research and used one of the few Ancient Greece music that survives. The Epitaph of Seikilos is just gorgeous.

• 2 months later...