Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Eating to much sugar can make you dumb

Deidre Asada

Well, that explains everything.

*continues to drink great amounts of Coke/Pepsi anyway*

• Brohoof 2

Been inhaling sugar on a daily basis most my teenage life through soda and other things. And my grades are improved at an all time high in the past three years than I ever have had them before.

So I call bullshit :ph34r:

• Brohoof 2

Sugar itself won't make you dumb or smart. It will however give you significant boost in energy but then quite quickly drop to the level below normal, in most cases you feel even more tired and burned out than before you took the sugar rush.. x)
  • Brohoof 1

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Gomez-Pinilla.

"Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

Sounds like the headline is blowing things out of proportion, to be honest.

I really don't think that the concept of your diet choice over a long term having an effect on you in such a way is too horrifyingly shocking. Garbage input resulting in garbage output? Sounds legit to me.

• Brohoof 1

I call BS.

This research is obviously very poorly done. Unfortunately because businesses are obsessed with gaining custormers, they pay scientists to make cruddy experiments. Research that are also covered by major News tend to also get the BS experiments. News try to get whatever sells, because it's a business too.

If you want well-done research, it's best to read from academic articles. Yeah they're tedious, but it's the best way. Unfortunately, people do not like tedious research reports, so the News is really the only way some people can be up-to-date with researches.

It's really up to you to decide whether a research is legit, even if it is done by some famous researcher.

• Brohoof 1

This study was flawed.

First of all, there is a difference between the exact biological makeup of a lab rat and that of human being. A study that is conducted only with lab rats is not conclusive evidence of any effects on humans.

Second, where was the control group in the study? In this study, they had two groups of rats. Both of these groups were supplied with sugar. For an experiment like this to work, they would've needed a third group which had not been given sugar.

This third group would've been used to compare against the other two groups to determine the actual effect of the sugar. Without this third group, their conclusions about sugar's effects are completely meaningless.

Think about it, how are they supposed to describe the effects of sugar without knowing what would have happened without sugar? It makes no sense.

With a study this sloppy, I would not doubt that more mistakes were also made behind-the-scenes.

It's really up to you to decide whether a research is legit, even if it is done by some famous researcher.

Bingo. This really is the bottom line. You have to analyze everything with a critical eye.

• Brohoof 1

to be more serious here, just getting in plain sugar just doesn't seem very apt to me that it would make you dumber. yeah, getting in too much sugar isn't good for you, physically, but i don't see it being able to affect your psychological mindset the way they seem to tell you it would do.

i buy 1.5 liter bottles of Pepsi to compute classes in school here, because they are long and tedious, and i am pretty much done with the theory part of it now thanks to buying those bottles of Pepsi to keep me awake. yes, drinking it isn't really good for me, but i don't do it everyday and it keeps me awake-ish on the lessons here, so it's all good. and then i am told i have a straight A in that class, as well as A's and B's in the rest of my classes, being the horrible soda-addict i am. so uhh, i call BS on this.

• 11 years later...