Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are Celestia and Luna Immortal?

Unity

So as you may know, I tend to watch theory videos on the MLP universe and than I  create long posts talking about them. So here's another.

So I just watched this video

https://youtu.be/kcuo6wisgpU

And It never really answered my question so I wanted to take it here and hear your pony's thoughts and opinions.

So why do you ponies think that celestia and Luna areImmortal (no it's just a kids show)

I'm not sure what other possibilities there are on why they are the only immortal Alicorns. Now I think he said that Twilight will not outlive her friends, either meaning they will all become Alicorns, or it pretty much means that Luna and Celestia are actually the only Immortal Alicorns.

So I'm not sure that Celestia is a Lich, but it's possible.

But I watched another video in the past where he goes to explain that maybe They are just Pawns for the You in a war between good and evil, so maybe the You made them Immortal because you dont want your chess pieces to die during a game. But that's a random guess.

It probably has something to do with their past and how they became Alicorns, or it may be their connections to the Sun/Moon that keeps them going(so maybe they are liches)

But I'm pretty sure that the ToH has a part to play in this.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Brohoof 1

I believe in the two types of alicorns theory. It suggests that there are natural born alicorns and artificial “ascended” alicorns.

The natural born alicorns are immortal, while the ascended alicorns have more average pony lifespans.

• Brohoof 1

My personal head-canon, with no data to back it up, is that Celestia and Luna come from a different planet. Deeper in my head-canon? The castle in the Crystal Empire is the star-ship that brought them to Equestria  thousands of years ago.

I thought I heard somewhere that no alicorns are immortal. The natural born alicorns just happen to have extremely long lifespans. In contrast, Twilight isn't supposed to outlive her friends, so an "ascended" alicorn should have a normal life expectancy. And thus we can infer that Candace will also live about as long as a regular unicorn, pegasus, or earth pony.

Edited by Everyone

People's headcanons on this subject vary greatly, including the related topic of the Sister's origins).  The writers don't seem to have any planned guidelines, leading to some inconsistencies.  One of Luna's comments in the S6 premier suggests that she and Celestia are ascended alicorns as well.  Thus, alicorns are rare enough that a lot is unknown about them.  I've always thought that their immortality indicated some sort of second level of ascension, which is also marked by the floaty mane thing.  Twilight came close to this in the S4 finale.

my guess is that they, like discord were most likely not born. Rather they came into existance as the embodiment of the night and day, this would explain why Equestria had never seen the birth of an alicorn before and why there aren't any others as old or older than them, while at the same time allowing the whole, they grew up in the everfree castle and were raised, at least in part, by Starswhirl 

• Brohoof 1

My prevailing theory is still that Celestia and Luna are immortal due to their connection to the sun/moon respectively, keeping them in a youthful stasis. Even when they briefly passed control of the sun/moon to Twilight, they only would have started aging normally again until the celestial bodies were returned to them. Since Twilight, Cadance and Flurry Heart aren't directly connected to a celestial body, they aren't immortal, though they may still live longer than the regular pony due to possessing Earth Pony, Pegasus and Unicorn magic at once.  

Edited by PoisonClaw

• 6 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

My personal head-canon, with no data to back it up, is that Celestia and Luna come from a different planet. Deeper in my head-canon? The castle in the Crystal Empire is the star-ship that brought them to Equestria  thousands of years ago.

Sounds like an ancient astronaut theory.

My headcanon is that alicorns are an ancient species who could even have somewhat extraterrestrial origins. So yeah, they are demi-gods, who represent greater concepts (light/day, darkness/night, love, friendship)  in life and could control celestial bodies. Maybe each star in the Equestrian sky is another system led by mythical horse gods, who knows. That might be a reach from my part, though. 

What matters is that I reckon born-alicorns do have lifespans, their's is simply much, muuuch longer than a regular pony's. (Heck, we don't even know how long a regular pony lives.) As for ascended, I dunno... but immortality without her friends would be horrible for Twilight, as if ascension was a punishment... but that's a theory for another day. 

One of Luna's comments in the S6 premier suggests that she and Celestia are ascended alicorns as well.

If I remember well - correct me if I'm wrong - Luna basically said that Flurry Heart is the first alicorn born in Equestria. That doesn't rule out the possibility that she and Celestia were born as alicorns. I think it's confirmed that they had already existed by the time Equestria was founded and were called by the founders to rule and protect the land and Starswirl was then assigned to tutor them. And ever since Equestria was founded, maybe more ponies had ascended over time (and if ascended alicorn lifespan is the same as non-alicorn lifespan, they had passed away since), but Flurry happens to be the very first alicorn to be born.

• 1 year later...

Turned out they weren't. Else all alicorns would live forever. It is only the ruler of Equestria that gets to live until she steps down willingly. It's a dictatorship of dreams! spla_twilfly.gif