Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What do you eat when you are sick?

Feather Data

It depends on what I think I can handle.  Most of the time, I end up having soup, sometimes I'll have regular meals if my stomach can handle it, I just try to avoid spicy foods until I'm better.  And ginger ale to drink, really helps settle an upset stomach.

Bread and water. If I'm sick it's less about keeping up strength and more about having something to throw up that doesn't hurt. For me, nothing is worth than throwing up bacon because it claws at your throat, and I'd rather have something coming out than nothing at all. Dry heaving is excruciating.

(edited)

I'm sick right now. Yesterday I had a tooth extracted. It was cracked, and my dentist said it couldn't be saved. (Bottom, all the way in the back, left side) The extraction went fine. What I didn't know was that over the course of the day, lots of blood was running down the back of my throat. (I thought I just had the sniffles) Five o'clock this morning, I was VIOLENTLY ill. It's frightening to see red at that moment, let me tell you! My husband wanted to take me to the emergency room, but I refused.  We figured out that the site wasn't bleeding any more, and it was just old blood I was getting rid of. NASTY! I was finally able to get back to sleep around six, and slept until 2PM. I ate a slice of bread, and can't even face the thought of eating anything else right now. My husband promised to make me some soup later. Oddly, I have no pain. I just don't ever want to eat again!

:blink:

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I try to stay off spicy, rich or fatty foods when I'm ill as it tends to upset my throat and stomach. Then again, it's what I eat most of the time, so it's problematic when I want to eat something and annoy myself having to eat something I may not be a fan of.

It depends how I feel. When I have problems with my stomach, than I eat usually nothing or something really dry one. When I have heavy sore throat, than I try to eat something soft or I drink a lot of tea and soup. But mostly when I have a cold, I eat the normal food I would also eat on this day when I am not sick (even when I can't tast it because of the disease).

Just now, Feather Data said:

Not as good as college sick meal takeouts if you ask me.

Ya, I've upgraded to uni sick meals lol

but ice cream is also good when I'm sick, but also bad lol

Just now, LordSwinton said:

Ya, I've upgraded to uni sick meals lol

but ice cream is also good when I'm sick, but also bad lol

It is good for a sore throat, but it slows down your immune system

I always drink plenty of fluids like water or gatorade. If my stomach is upset, then ginger ale. Keep a stash of saltine crackers and gold fish crackers on hand as well. They're easy to digest when your stomach is acting up. When I have  a cold, I have to force myself to remember not to eat any dairy.

45 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I'm sick right now. Yesterday I had a tooth extracted. It was cracked, and my dentist said it couldn't be saved. (Bottom, all the way in the back, left side) The extraction went fine. What I didn't know was that over the course of the day, lots of blood was running down the back of my throat. (I thought I just had the sniffles) Five o'clock this morning, I was VIOLENTLY ill. It's frightening to see red at that moment, let me tell you! My husband wanted to take me to the emergency room, but I refused.  We figured out that the site wasn't bleeding any more, and it was just old blood I was getting rid of. NASTY! I was finally able to get back to sleep around six, and slept until 2PM. I ate a slice of bread, and can't even face the thought of eating anything else right now. My husband promised to make me some soup later. Oddly, I have no pain. I just don't ever want to eat again!

:blink:

Oh my goodness, I had my one of my wisdom teeth removed months ago, and had to spend most of my day with a gauze on the bloody remains. Until it'd heal in time for vacation the following months, I was only allowed certain foods. Good luck, my friend.

When I am ill, I usually lack any sort of appetite. I will not eat when I am sick unless I truly feel hungry.

13 minutes ago, Rain Feather said:

When I am ill, I usually lack any sort of appetite. I will not eat when I am sick unless I truly feel hungry.

That is one of the reasons colds suck

2 hours ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

Oh my goodness, I had my one of my wisdom teeth removed months ago, and had to spend most of my day with a gauze on the bloody remains. Until it'd heal in time for vacation the following months, I was only allowed certain foods. Good luck, my friend.

I had a gauze pack on it for hours, but that was making me feel ill. I don't like holding things in my mouth like that. I thought the bleeding was done when I finally took it out. I feel okay now. I hope I'm never sick like that again! The dentist told me to eat only "mushy" things for a few days. He said mashed potatoes, oatmeal, noodles, things like that. I just had some soup, and that went down well. I'll try some scrambled eggs in the morning.