Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do we know the Storm King is dead?

Mixmaster226

After watching the movie (many times) and perusing multiple movie-related stories, comments and forums, I find myself asking - why do so many people think the Storm King is dead? I certainly agree that he is no longer a threat to anyone, but I find it hard to believe that he is actually deceased in the clinical sense. Below are the reasons that I believe support the idea that the Storm King is still alive:

1: When the Storm King shatters, his eyes flash. Go back to the invasion scene near the beginning of the film and you'll see Derpy's eyes flash shortly after she gets petrified. One character shatters and the other remains intact, but the animators made sure that both of them got this mysterious flash over their eyes. I believe this is meant to indicate that victims of the obsidian orbs are alive and conscious even after being turned to stone, and can remain so in spite of damage.

2: The first issue of Fiendship is Magic and the Siege of the Crystal Empire arc shed some light on the nature of petrification in the MLP universe. Sombra turned Princess Amore to stone and then shattered her, but he refused to kill her and reveals she could be restored one day. Whether or not you accept anything in the IDW comics as canon, I think this is a detail about being magically turned to stone that cannot be so readily dismissed.

3: A few have argued that the Storm King is dead by pointing out that his "remains" are gone when Canterlot is repaired by the princesses' magic. That, I think, is merely an animation error that can be overlooked because at that point in the movie, the Storm King was no longer plot-relevant. They didn't forget to include his broken pieces in the credits which, yes, should be taken seriously to some extent, even if there is a "Queen of the Hippos" dancing with Pinkie. Only time will tell if the writers decide to make hippos a sentient race, but we must remember that in MLP, animals tend to me much more intelligent than their real-world counterparts, even if Fluttershy isn't always around to talk to them.

This concludes my argument that the Storm King is still alive and not dead like so many fans on the internet seem to think. If you wish to comment or make a discussion of this, please do so.

• Brohoof 2

I was going to bring up Princess Amore, but you beat me to it. Truth is, we DON'T know if he's truly dead, if Amore can be implied at being able to be brought back after being shattered.

Honestly, we're talking in a world where Magic is real.  So honestly, if they want to bring him back they could very well do so.

And I've seen many a stories where they shattered the petrified individual and they were still able to revive him.  So it's not impossible that he's unable to return if they so choose.

He's more than likely dead, I mean like you said, being turned to stone doesn't kill them obviously, but I think if your turned to stone and then smashed into the ground like he was........ yeah, he's pretty much dead. Besides, all those little bits of rock would turn into little bits of scattered flesh and blood if he were turned back, creating a big bloody mess on the ground, meaning again, he's pretty much dead. 

If you look closely at the film version of the closing credits, you can see SK's eyes are blue and moving (well, obviously not in this still pic). Does that imply he's still alive? I like to think so, but I guess you can be the judge of that.

800?cb=20180119215735

I think he's sort of alive at the moment but as mentioned above unless you fuse the bits back together restoring him to flesh is going to rapidly result in him being dead, dead and that's assuming some clever pony didn't pocket a few vital bits like the centre of his chest to transmute into an orange to ensure he can never be revived.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to think he's dead, but now by reminding me of Mi Amore's example, he may just be out of the picture, but still alive. Sneak peaks of upcoming episodes shows a silhouette of him, but that is either Silverstream's flash back of Hearts Warming Eve episode, or the season finale, who knows? Another possibility of his survival is that his magic is the cause of conflict in an upcoming Equestria Girls special 

I was pretty sure that they killed him when I first watched the movie, but after remembering how they brought back King Sombra in the comics and had Princess Amore alive after being shattered like you mentioned, I agree that it's possible he's not dead. Now that the movie has been shown to tie in with the show, I can see a potential plotline involving him returning happening...which could potentially end with him dying for real. :mlp_icwudt:

I'm positive he's dead. I can understand being restored to life if your body is preserved INTACT in the crystalline structure of stone. Intact is the operative word. No "gluing together" would be able to restore the complete structure. Pebbles missing, even what is lost as dust, would be devastating upon revival. There is no way everything would join up perfectly. Nerve connections would be irreparably cut. Muscle and bone would be completely severed. The best one could hope for is the now flesh and blood pony would fall back apart in an extremely gory mess once the glue lost hold in all that, well, wetness . 

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

He was shuttered into pieces, looks pretty dead to me

So was the previous crystal princess and Sombra thinks he can put her back together (comic ark) as shown here.

Technicality.png.c37152db210b0488c8d99853531c9a78.png

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Dont forget in an earlier episode the crusaders crash a funeral and Sweetie stands on some poor ponies coffin while saying the speaker's too old for Cherilee.

• 2 months later...