Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm even more concerned about G5's diversity issue, here's why

Plonkett

I don't really care one way or the other; I refuse to watch a G5 show/movie. :yuck: I'm a Friendship is Magic purist. 

Also--though I have serious issues with SJW culture--I hate the term "feminazi." Using such aggressive terminology perpetuates the "angry, white, male gamer" stereotype. Not helping!

There is nothing wrong with diversity. It only becomes a problem when diversity is the main focus, when the message is shoved down viewers' throats.

Propaganda is particularly deplorable when it come to children's media. Kids shouldn't be used a pawns in the political game. :glimmer:

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, Kings&Hooves14 said:

I don't really care one way or the other; I refuse to watch a G5 show/movie. :yuck: I'm a Friendship is Magic purist. 

Aww c’mon man. If you watched and hated it that would be one thing, but it’s not even out yet.

23 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Aww c’mon man. If you watched and hated it that would be one thing, but it’s not even out yet.

If it's a complete reimagining--with an entirely new set of characters--I might give it a shot. If they use new versions of the G4 characters I fell in love with (and it appears that they will)? :( Hell, nah. 

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

17 minutes ago, Kings&Hooves14 said:

If it's a complete reimagining--with an entirely new set of characters--I might give it a shot. If they use new versions of the G4 characters I fell in love with (and it appears that they will)? :( Hell, nah. 

Just pretend they’re Alternate Universe versions of the characters. I mean, the G4 mares are based off of older Gen ponies too. Rainbow Dash used to be an Earth pony that acted like Rarity.

AA741681-021D-47A5-88CF-8D851FF936FA.gif.06919be0644d3645dd4b0571e548c7de.gif

Though I do think it’s be far more ideal to have entirely new characters, I’m just going to approach the new Mane 6 as completely different ponies, because they are.

• Brohoof 3

10 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Just pretend they’re Alternate Universe versions of the characters. I mean, the G4 mares are based off of older Gen ponies too. Rainbow Dash used to be an Earth pony that acted like Rarity.

AA741681-021D-47A5-88CF-8D851FF936FA.gif.06919be0644d3645dd4b0571e548c7de.gif

Though I do think it’s be far more ideal to have entirely new characters, I’m just going to approach the new Mane 6 as completely different ponies, because they are.

Yeah... its far easier to still care about the Doctor through multiple regenerations... but then its still the same universe throughout. A straight reboot makes me feel more like "invasion of the body snatchers." Just being OK with this kind of thing would be like Discord enjoing a cuddle fantasy with the changeling version of Fluttershy. I would feel almost like a traitor, but then that's what I get for my Element being Loyalty.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

12 minutes ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Yeah... its far easier to still care about the Doctor through multiple regenerations... but then its still the same universe throughout. A straight reboot makes me feel more like "invasion of the body snatchers." Just being OK with this kind of thing would be like Discord enjoing a cuddle fantasy with the changeling version of Fluttershy. I would feel almost like a traitor, but then that's what I get for my Element being Loyalty.

I’m not sure I understand that analogy at the end there.

But yeah, it’s very likely it’s going to be a different universe. Different history, DEFINITELY different character backstories. For example, in G5 Twilight will have never been a magical prodigy in a school for gifted unicorns because...

Spoiler

... according to the leaks they seem to be turning her into an Earth Pony.

And if that’s the case, then how did she get her cutie mark?

Edited by ShadOBabe

On 8/24/2018 at 4:01 PM, vgmaster9 said:

This video promotes diversity in such a way that it feels like that they care more about how diverse the characters are than actual writing quality. They even brag about that half the staff are female and the entire writing team is all female.

With diversity being mentioned in the leaks for G5 makes me very nervous, that the show could be run by these types of people. Anyone else agree?

Claiming the hiring practice is diverse while also claiming to have an all female only writing team, makes zero sense. I don't like it when people try to boast and obscure the lines of diversity and exclusiveness. Though they shouldn't be making their backroom politics the main sale of the show.

If they bring Alicorns into G5, they should be a trans-formative state like Super Saiyan.

Edited by Singe

2 hours ago, Kings&Hooves14 said:

I’ve said this before in other threads; wouldn’t it be great if G5 is a new art style and takes place a sizable amount of time after G4? 

I get that Hasbro will most likely never let us have this beautiful concept. Yet I feel we could still experience it. Us as a whole, our entire community, could create our own separate show. We could pitch in for it’s animation, voice acting, and everything in between. We’d just have to get a license of course.

Hasbro is always looking for another way to make sellable toys. Maybe they’d jump gun at this idea? Toys specific to its show’s brony creators. 

All this stuff goes through my mind whenever I see discussions regarding the speculations of G5. I try not to worry, because the fandom will stay strong by supporting one another, just as the Star Trek and Star Wars fandoms maintain.

Edited by Nye
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

I’m not sure I understand that analogy at the end there.

But yeah, it’s very likely it’s going to be a different universe. Different history, DEFINITELY different character backstories. For example, in G5 Twilight will have never been a magical prodigy in a school for gifted unicorns because...

Reveal hidden contents

... according to the leaks they seem to be turning her into an Earth Pony.

And if that’s the case, then how did she get her cutie mark?

Meh, I don't even understand it entirely myself but I've seen enough talk about it to know that it definitely isn't just me. There are a LOT of things that I've been a fan of over the years that doesn't affect me this way. I'm a fan of multiple incarnations of Bat Man for example and I have my favorites, and a couple that I just can't stand, and my mind has no problem accepting all of them for what they are. Ponies ended up being different. I didn't even see it coming until it was too late, but it got MUCH deeper into my heart, and as a result, Equestria feels just like a home, and I care about the characters as much as any real person I've ever known. So a reboot is bound to much more emotionally painful than... say... Michael Bay's Transformers.

This is one of the big reasons there is hope for an alternate solution, simply expanding the universe to make room for new casts of characters to be the stars of the show. A reboot is much more like killing what has already been done, or even retconning.

It would be disgustingly easy to pull off too so I can't understand the logic in going that route after building something as remarkable as what G4 is. The other glaring example of anything where I felt this pulled into a universe was Star Trek. I saw the original series before I saw any of the later shows. TNG didn't bother me. DS9 didn't bother me. Or Voyager. The only time I truly felt betrayed was when JJ Abrams's thing happened.

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Meh, I don't even understand it entirely myself but I've seen enough talk about it to know that it definitely isn't just me. There are a LOT of things that I've been a fan of over the years that doesn't affect me this way. I'm a fan of multiple incarnations of Bat Man for example and I have my favorites, and a couple that I just can't stand, and my mind has no problem accepting all of them for what they are. Ponies ended up being different. I didn't even see it coming until it was too late, but it got MUCH deeper into my heart, and as a result, Equestria feels just like a home, and I care about the characters as much as any real person I've ever known. So a reboot is bound to much more emotionally painful than... say... Michael Bay's Transformers.

This is one of the big reasons there is hope for an alternate solution, simply expanding the universe to make room for new casts of characters to be the stars of the show. A reboot is much more like killing what has already been done, or even retconning.

It would be disgustingly easy to pull off too so I can't understand the logic in going that route after building something as remarkable as what G4 is. The other glaring example of anything where I felt this pulled into a universe was Star Trek. I saw the original series before I saw any of the later shows. TNG didn't bother me. DS9 didn't bother me. Or Voyager. The only time I truly felt betrayed was when JJ Abrams's thing happened.

Didn’t they mention some pony island in a recent episode? I’d love for the new show to take place away from Ponyville, but the same universe :mlp_please:

34 minutes ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

I totally get this feeling, honestly, I'm having the same sort of issue. I feel like if they'd either just stick with FIM or universe, just with new characters, or even if they'd gone for a new universe but with a totally new set of unrelated characters, I would have been more fine with it. But by rebooting to a new continuity and also trying to keep the Mane 6, it's just kind of...oddly uncomfortable for me. I'll probably give G5 a shot, but I feel like I'm mostly going to do it out of obligation, rather than really wanting to. I'm not really at all interested in the idea of a reboot of MLP like this.

15 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Didn’t they mention some pony island in a recent episode? I’d love for the new show to take place away from Ponyville, but the same universe 

The nice thing about an idea like that is that'd it'd then also be super easy to have episodes crossing over with FIM. Even if it mostly focuses on totally new characters, having the Mane Six, or the CMC, or Discord, or anypony else show up every once in a while would be nice, it'd mean we could get to see all our old favorites again, even if only once in a while.

2 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

The nice thing about an idea like that is that'd it'd then also be super easy to have episodes crossing over with FIM. Even if it mostly focuses on totally new characters, having the Mane Six, or the CMC, or Discord, or anypony else show up every once in a while would be nice, it'd mean we could get to see all our old favorites again, even if only once in a while.

Equestria Girls worked for me too. I thought I was going to hate it actually but it grew on me quickly enough. As campy as the concept was, they arrived at a pretty novel solution to doing an alternate universe without stomping all over the source material. I don't like them as much as the ponies, they're kind of abrasive (I mean, they're teens, so of course they are), but I can see them as variants of the same thing and jump right in without it feeling awkward.

And yes, that's another nice thing about just expanding the universe. Random chances for cameo appearances of crowd favorites.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

questria Girls worked for me too. I thought I was going to hate it actually but it grew on me quickly enough. As campy as the concept was, they arrived at a pretty novel solution to doing an alternate universe without stomping all over the source material. I don't like them as much as the ponies, they're kind of abrasive (I mean, they're teens, so of course they are), but I can see them as variants of the same thing and jump right in without it feeling awkward.

I think EQG works better in this case, because it's acknowledged in-universe as a separate reality. Pony Twilight goes through the mirror and meets alternate versions of her friends who are similar, but still a little different, but the Pony Mane Six and all of the Equestria we know is still fine just on the other side of the mirror, they exist side by side and it's canonically acknowledged that they are separate. Alternate realities like that are fine with me, it's just the idea of a "Full" reboot that ignores G4 that bugs me.

I am not sure I get what the issue is but so far the show feels completely normal. Their selling point is that they are doing a traditional 2d animation which is just translates to we hand draw it on a digital devices. 

Edited by R.D.Dash

5 hours ago, R.D.Dash said:

I am not sure I get what the issue is but so far the show feels completely normal. Their selling point is that they are doing a traditional 2d animation which is just translates to we hand draw it on a digital devices. 

Don't get if you meant the Guardians show, or the possible G5. The Guardians show that caused issues with people is because in the trailer, they hardly talk about the show itself, only citing the (physical) diversity of the characters, and the writing staff being female only as it's biggest strengths. Of course that led to the reminder of the possibility of G5 Applejack being the token black girl in the next show. So of course led to the concern of SJW agenda tainting poneh

9 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

Equestria Girls worked for me too. I thought I was going to hate it actually but it grew on me quickly enough. As campy as the concept was, they arrived at a pretty novel solution to doing an alternate universe without stomping all over the source material. I don't like them as much as the ponies, they're kind of abrasive (I mean, they're teens, so of course they are), but I can see them as variants of the same thing and jump right in without it feeling awkward.

And yes, that's another nice thing about just expanding the universe. Random chances for cameo appearances of crowd favorites.

If in the end the G5 ends up as a spin-off/soft reboot, no matter how little they reference FIM, I'll be happy :fluttershy:

6 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Don't get if you meant the Guardians show, or the possible G5. The Guardians show that caused issues with people is because in the trailer, they hardly talk about the show itself, only citing the (physical) diversity of the characters, and the writing staff being female only as it's biggest strengths. Of course that led to the reminder of the possibility of G5 Applejack being the token black girl in the next show. So of course led to the concern of SJW agenda tainting poneh

I was talking about Guardians, the sample animation seems cute to me, the school girl plot feels  generic to me, so was EQG when it was first showed  up. To be fair mlp mostly dominated by the female actors, even Spike secretly is a girl

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

I was talking about Guardians, the sample animation seems cute to me, the school girl plot feels  generic to me, so was EQG when it was first showed  up. To be fair mlp mostly dominated by the female actors, even Spike secretly is a girl

Right, but FIM is dominated by female main characters to not deviate too much from the primary target audience, and MLP has been traditionally for girls, not to follow some feminazi agenda

Honestly, as I said before I think the rumors are false, but in the nearly impossible event that Hasbro really tried to do this, I think looking at the backlash Crunchyroll is getting would make Hasbro thing twice before pulling any sort of SJW stunt. The Internet has made an example out of Crunchyroll. Of course, I don't think Hasbro had any plans to begin with, I personally view Hasbro as a way smarter company that knows what happens when someone tries to pull the same stunt Crunchyroll attempted.

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight

Hasbro already got into trouble with IDW comics trying to ruin GIJoe with subpar stories that no one was interested in buying. If they try to do the same tactic with MLP then it will only end in a financial disaster for them.

Edited by R.D.Dash

1 hour ago, R.D.Dash said:

Hasbro already got into trouble with IDW comics trying to ruin GIJoe with subpar stories that no one was interested in buying. If they try to do the same tactic with MLP then it will only end in a financial disaster for them.

Shouldn’t it be the other way around, IDW getting trouble with Hasbro :dash:? I think I’ve heard about that, comics applying agenda in introducing an overweight character, and focus on it, instead of a good story. I think pony comics had such a dork age as well..... in the story at least, but I think they’ve improved 

• Brohoof 1

Any studio that puts a ridiculous political agenda ahead of good storytelling is not going to last long, especially when they beat the viewer over the head so incessantly that the whole concept of a story is lost completely. It's gotten out of hand in too many situations and after a fashion, people are going to finally say "ENOUGH!" It's an insult to the intelligence of the viewer to have everything spelled out for them in any manner of boldface propaganda. Even if some people agree with it, it's a stupid way to promote that viewpoint. As it is, if they want to promote equality of any kind, they would not be touting a series as having an all-female writing team. That's not equality at all, so maybe their brilliant writing team should consider writing a better promo.  

I can see where the concern is coming from. The thing is that the Mane 6 are established so then the G5 will be clean slates riding off of the coattails of their G4 counterparts. Kinda like Marvel as a G4 would be the established characters as Tony Stark being Ironman and the worry is that G5 could be diversity replacements like Riri Williams is Ironman.

If it follows this path it could end up like with most comics that have been touched by SJW, driving away the fan base and getting canned.

Edited by Singe

I've always found the concern about gen5 having a "diversity issue" to be silly at best. I mean, is there even anything in the supposedly leaked emails that even support that notion? 

Also, a bit off topic but whatever. I don't feel like it's fair to instantly dismiss chrunchyrolls new show as feminazi propaganda. I mean, the promo talks more about it being classical 2d animation than diversity. At least have the decency to give it a chance before getting so triggered. 

• Brohoof 2

Mr. Enter made a good video about High Guardian Spice, and I actually agree with him here.

I just hope McCarthy and the people involved with G5 are aware of this.

Edited by vgmaster9