Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone want Twilight Sparkle and friends in future generations

heavens-champion

I feel like I'm the only one who wants Twilight and friends to be main characters in future generations of My Little Pony. There's a version of Optimus in almost every Transformers continuity, and I haven't heard anyone object to that.

Edited by heavens-champion

Optimus is in every iteration of Transformers because he is the face of that franchise. With My Little Pony, you've got plenty of characters from across the four generations who can be considered the faces of the brand, the Mane Six of generation four included. So my answer would be yes but to an extent as others can also be utilized in this manner.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Optimus is in every iteration of Transformers because he is the face of that franchise. With My Little Pony, you've got plenty of characters from across the four generations who can be considered the faces of the brand, the Mane Six of generation four included. So my answer would be yes but to an extent as others can also be utilized in this manner.

By others, do you mean the mane 6 in general, or ponies from previous generations in general, because from what I've heard, Hasbro lost the trademark rights to most of the Generation 1 names.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight should definitely be in every generation. She's the perfect pony to hold it all together in the continuity. The Mane 6 are what make the show great, and even if they make a bunch of new characters in future generations, they'll never capture that kind of perfect magic and chemistry again. That's why I like the early seasons and the MLP movie best, because they have the most focus on the Mane 6 and they don't waste time with too many new characters that don't work. 

If they have the same personalities and overall character as the current versions, sure. :) But having a version of Twilight who is only her in name would feel wrong to me – in that case, I'd rather see an all-new cast of ponies.

• Brohoof 4

31 minutes ago, Narcissus said:

and even if they make a bunch of new characters in future generations, they'll never capture that kind of perfect magic and chemistry again. 

What utter disrespect for future gens that might have new casts, artists, and writers. Wow. 

Unrealistic standards, much?

• Brohoof 1

Yes, definitely.

Here's my catch though: not in the immediate generation after G4, at least not as mane characters.

For G5 they could have them be legends, just like they managed Starswirl. Or have them be a foreign group, helping from time to time but away from the main focus of G5.

2 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

By others, do you mean the mane 6 in general, or ponies from previous generations in general, because from what I've heard, Hasbro lost the trademark rights to most of the Generation 1 names.

Ponies from previous generations.

If that's the case then Hasbro could use slightly alternate names whilst retaining the same personality.

I personally would prefer that g5 be a kind of soft reboot, so like, keep the  mane 6 from g4, but overhaul the overall design of the show and new ideas for episodes, and seeing the concept art for g5, I believe that's what gonna happen, idk, maybe I'm wrong, but I do hope that its good

On 9/14/2018 at 10:29 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

What utter disrespect for future gens that might have new casts, artists, and writers. Wow. 

Unrealistic standards, much?

The only unrealistic standard is assuming that just because MLP captured a perfect blend of characters in G4, they're going to manage it in every generation (as it is, generations 1-3 were sketchy at best). The new students in Twilight's school of Friendship are a prime example of the writer's attempts to create a new ensemble to flesh out the stories. Most of these new characters, in my opinion, suck. If that's any indication of the level of quality that's to be expected, I don't hold out much hope that G5 is going to be as great as G4. I hope they manage it and I'll keep an open mind. Either way, it doesn't have to be as good as G4 to be good. I'm just not going to assume anything until I see it.  

In my opinion, having the same characters again for a new generation is kind of lame. I rather have a new set of characters set anew.

• Brohoof 5

I wouldn't mind re-using current ponies in next generation, as long as they would not make science and flip their personality and appearance upside down. I've heard few concepts of turning some ponies into different races - that will cause confusion and wreck the characters we know and love.

If they use them as they are, or perhaps their more-grown up versions, it would be fine.

• Brohoof 2

The funny thing with Optimus, he works best when they try to differentiate him with other iterations, Optimus from G1 feels very different from the movie incarnation or the one from Animated. In contrast, the last few incarnations have felt very similar causing the character to feel stale

There's nothing wrong with G5 rebooting existing characters, what matters is if change them up enough so they feel fresh

Just now, This Whomps said:

There's nothing wrong with G5 rebooting existing characters, what matters is if change them up enough so they feel fresh

im with @This Whomps on this one  (im having a deja vu moment here)

i would actually prefer if g4 characters will be rebooted into g5

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:00 AM, Ganondorf8 said:

Ponies from previous generations.

If that's the case then Hasbro could use slightly alternate names whilst retaining the same personality.

I just figured that they'd at least keep a version of Twilight Sparkle in some shape or form.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, DonMaguz said:

Yes, definitely.

Here's my catch though: not in the immediate generation after G4, at least not as mane characters.

For G5 they could have them be legends, just like they managed Starswirl. Or have them be a foreign group, helping from time to time but away from the main focus of G5.

I look at your comment, and Beast Wars comes to mind.

13 hours ago, This Whomps said:

The funny thing with Optimus, he works best when they try to differentiate him with other iterations, Optimus from G1 feels very different from the movie incarnation or the one from Animated. In contrast, the last few incarnations have felt very similar causing the character to feel stale

In my opinion, an incarnation of Optimus is still an Optimus by default of being named Optimus.

• 1 year later...

As a crossover characters maybe. But not as main characters, the show is over, their story is told and mane six now live their lives. I hate when companies milking franchises and characters when the main story is over and I don't want it it happen to mlp

Edited by Vefka