Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Pinkie now 110% hateable because of Yakity Sax?

PCutter

Honestly, Pinkie Pie's appearance was nowhere close to being anywhere nearly that bad. What she did was rude, but clearly with no ill intentions. She played it because it felt good and believed the others would equally enjoy it. I have much bigger trepidations with her from previous episodes (Filli V, RSF, S&P, PPOV) than Yakity-Sax, and I remain a fan of her. No reason for me to dislike her after this episode, either.

• Brohoof 4

Why would one episode completely ruin a character? Doesn't make too much sense to myself. Though she is my least favorite of the six doesn't meant that I hate her. People who hate characters just to hate it aren't good in my book.

• Brohoof 2

Pinkie could have be more considerate but then again it's like telling a horrible artist to be considerate of others not showing off what they love. So no I do not blame pinkie for being moody as she has done so before. Nor hate her after this episode.

• Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...

After the recent Pinkie Pie day, I must say I'm honestly surprised people still like her.

Side question: why don't people just hold on to hating her after they claim s8 ruined her? Why don't they hold on to their grudge if it gets them noticed by the writers to completely overhaul her or have her written off?

On 9/22/2018 at 11:04 AM, RulesofRarity said:

Nah. I’ve hated her since Season 1. Pinkie Pie has had the same issues throughout the entire series, her going from 0 to 100 if she thinks her friends or someone else doesn’t like her(Party Of One/A Friend in Deed), her tendency to disregard a person’s feelings and be an insensitive jerk(Luna Eclisped/Fili Vanili) and her overall obnoxiousness(Rock Solid Friendship). It’s even worse when these episodes don’t even acknowledge or even attempt to correct Pinkie’s behaviour. 

Actually, it’s been an issue since Season 1. 

You get no treats.

7 hours ago, PCutter said:

After the recent Pinkie Pie day, I must say I'm honestly surprised people still like her.

Side question: why don't people just hold on to hating her after they claim s8 ruined her? Why don't they hold on to their grudge if it gets them noticed by the writers to completely overhaul her or have her written off?

The way you say it, it sounds like Pinkie deserved to be hated with no forgiveness at all. The reformed Villains did much worse things than Pinkie and they get more forgiveness.

Must I bring this awesome song back up? :sneer:

Everyone has their flaws. Having flaws does not make one a bad person.

• Brohoof 3

On 10/11/2018 at 7:10 AM, Happy Yoshi said:

The way you say it, it sounds like Pinkie deserved to be hated with no forgiveness at all. The reformed Villains did much worse things than Pinkie and they get more forgiveness.

Everyone has their flaws. Having flaws does not make one a bad person.

Then isn't where the hypocrisy with the fandom lies?

A fantasy show where even the worst of villains are not all one dimensionally bad and can be worthy of turning over a new leaf (hence the message of the show), yet when someone else does something bad but never to the extent that it could destroy existence,  they deserve to be treated like the devil himself.

Is that mindset supposed to be logical or at least warranted? Because that's something that really pushes my buttons.

As for your second part, don't you think people are projecting their perfectionist attitudes on Pinkie, arguing that the episode and incident should never have happened if she were considerate? Or am I fooling myself?

One mark against Pinkie in this episode is that it follows the same thing with Celestia a few episodes ago. Celestia was emotional about Twilight for trust issues and she was able to get over it quickly. Here Pinkie Pie just quits on everything and leaves.

Once again the "Isnt this pony just the absolute worst" thread comes down the forum pike. Its always the same, a particular episode sets them off about a character they already didnt like and they make a post about it. Most replies are "Nah mate x pony is good" and then there are the " I never liked x pony" comments.

A computer could randomly generate these threads like madlibs. 

No, Pinkie (or insert whichever character here you want) is not ruined because of Yakkity Sax (or insert whichever ep here you want.) Everybody who likes the character will still like them with few exceptions, and everybody who didnt (a much smaller number) still wont with few exceptions.

• Brohoof 3

14 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Once again the "Isnt this pony just the absolute worst" thread comes down the forum pike. Its always the same, a particular episode sets them off about a character they already didnt like and they make a post about it. Most replies are "Nah mate x pony is good" and then there are the " I never liked x pony" comments.

A computer could randomly generate these threads like madlibs. 

No, Pinkie (or insert whichever character here you want) is not ruined because of Yakkity Sax (or insert whichever ep here you want.) Everybody who likes the character will still like them with few exceptions, and everybody who didnt (a much smaller number) still wont with few exceptions.

This is probably the most undeniably accurate post on this thread.  The episode won't change anyone's opinion on Pinkie Pie any more than a debate is capable of changing people's minds (there have been studies that confirm this about debates).  If someone believes something, no amount of alternate facts is going to change their minds.  All it does is make them more resistant, even when facts on one side of the spectrum or the other are irrefutable.

As for the episode, it likely won't affect the fanbase in any way.  It's just kind of a subpar episode that was written by people that probably don't really get the character.  I've seen episodes that were written by people that get Pinkie Pie and episodes by people that don't really get her.  You can tell the difference.  But a bad episode does not a bad character make.  All great shows have episodes that don't represent characters very well.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

Yakity-Sax might be not Pinkie's brightest moment (in your definition) but it cannot erase any good things from Pinkie in the past seasons or even THIS season. You cant deny all good Pinkie appearances in this season, can you, how about this?

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.ac27769dd4be65d24318f268fdaaf647.jpgx1080-_Iu.thumb.jpg.b876f88354f7042c995741d7c74f79eb.jpg68a759447e750d3d1071805a5ad72899.jpg.6236140bd55c24ad02633f0ad7dc57d7.jpg1.png.1240ad20d82f127da15977400148fbf0.pngs08_e13__the_mean_6___you_re_so_mean_by_theartsyemporium-dcf3j33.png.e2220307676959593b32aa91aff5b943.png

Please, try to name anything negative to these pictures.

How a mediocre episode can ruin her entire established character? It isn't even that bad.

• Brohoof 3

Let's stay on topic and stay away from the trap of starting to discuss things that aren't relevant to the episode specifically. Last thing we want is for a topic about Pinkie Pie's actions and reactions in one episode to devolve into a psychological accounting of one specific fan who obviously isn't causing an issue here. 

This thread was a joy for me to go through as someone who holds the following opinions. Yakity-Sax is fine. Pinkie Pie is fine. :fluttershy:

We have a tendency to like ignoring the context of mistakes characters we don't like make in the show to justify our often inexplicable contempt for them. It's a sad fact that I can accept, but it will always have to be pointed out that it's not only ridiculous to hate a normally lovable character for their actions in one episode, it's even more ridiculous to act like that makes everything that makes them lovable just disappear. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

This thread was a joy for me to go through as someone who holds the following opinions. Yakity-Sax is fine. Pinkie Pie is fine. :fluttershy:

Yeah, I loved this episode. As someone who has many things I enjoy that I quite frankly suck at, I found it oddly relatable. 

• Brohoof 1

Hateable? What did she do wrong here other than be oblivious and annoying? I can name episodes where she's behaved worse.

This episode was just odd. Pinkie gets suddenly super passionate about an instrument from out of nowhere and we aren't given a reason why? 

• Brohoof 1

wait what? Yakiti Sax was a great episode for Pinkie's character, it made her more real, instead of an ever-happy goofball, her liking a totally random instrument absolutely matches her character, especially since she has a connection with the yaks, the fact that she's not good at it didn't stop her from enjoying it, but the fact that her friends were annoyed did, she just stoped immediately trying not to let it show that it bothered her at all, which shows how much she cares for their happyness, she chose to be miserable instead of causing others to be so, it trully shows how selfless she is, but you can't control your feelings, depression comes without asking, and you can only mask it for so long, so once again, totally selfless, she moves away instead of staying there and spread the negativity. this episode made me appreciate her once more. it's one of her best in later seasons

• Brohoof 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:32 PM, Trix or Treat? said:

wait what? Yakiti Sax was a great episode for Pinkie's character, it made her more real, instead of an ever-happy goofball, her liking a totally random instrument absolutely matches her character, especially since she has a connection with the yaks, the fact that she's not good at it didn't stop her from enjoying it, but the fact that her friends were annoyed did, she just stoped immediately trying not to let it show that it bothered her at all, which shows how much she cares for their happyness, she chose to be miserable instead of causing others to be so, it trully shows how selfless she is, but you can't control your feelings, depression comes without asking, and you can only mask it for so long, so once again, totally selfless, she moves away instead of staying there and spread the negativity. this episode made me appreciate her once more. it's one of her best in later seasons

I love this post when juxtaposed to the opposing view since it highlights this 

039DC33C-1CC5-4D83-B068-84B3C59A1CEE.png

literally the the thing that makes some hate Pinkie in this is what makes her endearing to others.