Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

can or do earth ponies live in canterlot?

sherri

i was just wondering this, cause, well... my earth pony, sherri lived in canterlot before moving to ponyville with foamy the dragon...

& she had to hatch her somehow, right? :adorkable:   *although the hatching part has nothing to do with living in canterlot*

Edited by sherri

Why not? I don't think the pony sister kingdom is racist against other races. Sure, there might be hoity toity but probably not racist.

19 minutes ago, Taking a break. said:

i would say so i mean from the show is showing mostly unicorns , but i think there are some who do live there :3

More likely a case of personal preference I would think. Earth ponies probably prefer to be closer to nature and would gravitate towards rural areas. Their natural magic talents also aren't as useful in places that are highly industrialized. Also, they're the ponies that are keeping the nation fed, and farming requires far more space than you can find in major cities. And Canterlot in particular, isn't its entire foundation artificially built?

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

• 11 months later...

There is no reason why they couldn't. I think that the reason why there aren't many Earth Ponies living in Canterlot is because the city isn't quite meant for them. Because Canterlot is mostly Unicorn the city, it is most likely full of places and things that are only easily used by Unicorns.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:28 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Earth ponies are the second most seen race seen in Canterlot. Actually pegasi are the ones seen the least

Yes I have noticed that. I wonder why. It would be cool to see what the life of a Canterlot Pegasus is like.

1 hour ago, Landi72 said:

There is no reason why they couldn't. I think that the reason why there aren't many Earth Ponies living in Canterlot is because the city isn't quite meant for them. Because Canterlot is mostly Unicorn the city, it is most likely full of places and things that are only easily used by Unicorns.

Yes I have noticed that. I wonder why. It would be cool to see what the life of a Canterlot Pegasus is like.

Most likely because their wings makes it more difficult to work with their fancy clothes :huh:

8 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Most likely because their wings makes it more difficult to work with their fancy clothes :huh:

That is probably a part of it. It also might have to deal with contrasting personalities and cultures. Canterlot is all about formality and high society, whereas the Pegasi tend to be more energetic, upbeat, and sometimes rough.

2 minutes ago, Landi72 said:

That is probably a part of it. It also might have to deal with contrasting personalities and cultures. Canterlot is all about formality and high society, whereas the Pegasi tend to be more energetic, upbeat, and sometimes rough.

Possible, but I’m certain the reason is more technical, otherwise we’d be seeing far less fancy earth horses :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that Earth Ponies would be able to reside in Canterlot. I don't see why not, aside from having a contrasting nature to those of its residents.

I don't know if they are really from canterlot, but some of the high society ponies like Lyrica Lilac or Ceasar are earth ponies and they are usually seen in Canterlot. And there are more.

Here some pictures which includes earth ponies in Canterlot.

Pic1

Pic2

Gif

I also don't see a reason why only unicorns should live in Canterlot. It is true that most of the Canterlot citizen are unicorns (like the most citizen of manehattan are earth ponies), but not all. I even would say that there are more earth ponies in Canterlot than unicorns in Manehattan.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:57 PM, Lucky Bat said:

Are you implying Unicorns are racist? lol 

nah, I don't see any reason why earth ponies can't live in Canterlot 

it wouldn't be that surprising with canterlot ponies though. we have seen some examples of unicorns being racist (on just make some insensitive comments) to earth ponies or farm/country related things or feel superior because they can do magic. but i would think that a well positioned earth pony would be just fine. is more like classism but just happens that most earth ponies are fitted for agricultural work so... oops.

Unicorns make up the dominant pony race in Canterlot as others have said, I think this primarily might have to with the magic institutions which are implied to be there, so rich families are likely to congregate there more often to give themselves and their children the best education in that field since often how adept one is in magic gives you more prestige. Perhaps it's also that many unicorn families have ties back to the initial sorcerers who had to move the sun and moon before Luna and Celestia arrived - thus they continue to try and curry favor in the court? Who knows, ultimately you can speculate on the subject all you want because it's never really explicitly said why. 

Earth ponies primarily seem to have talents relating to agriculture, so they don't much much business in Canterlot otherwise I'd imagine. Considering Equestria is a by and large utopian society I wouldn't say that the demographics are skewed as they are due to any racism - even if we do see snoody unicorns who look down on Earth Ponies.