Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

SoftHive/Apriline

What are everyone's least favorite tropes? Feel free to use examples from books, TV, movies, etc. Whatever you like.

For example, I don't like time travel (with a few exceptions). If it's done CORRECTLY, it can be really entertaining, like in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, or when Starlight turned back time to get revenge on the Mane 6. An example of it being done incorrectly is The Cursed Child. Sorry for all the Harry Potter related examples, but I truly didn't like how The Cursed Child used time travel. 

Also, if you like, you can add things you didn't like about some way MLP:FiM used a trope or topic.

Edited by SoftHive/Apriline

My least favourite is when stories end with the whole "it was all a dream" thingy. There is no greater trope out there to make a reader, listener or viewer feel cheated. The only other one that can match that level is the  "they're actually all dead" one. Although, like with most things there is the occasional exception. Can't think off the top of my head where though. I can picture the shows and stories, but can't think of the titles.

• Brohoof 3

12 hours ago, This Whomps said:

Chosen One/Destined Heroes. It's hard to root for heroes just because they were chosen by fate

12 hours ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

My least favourite is when stories end with the whole "it was all a dream" thingy. There is no greater trope out there to make a reader, listener or viewer feel cheated. The only other one that can match that level is the  "they're actually all dead" one. Although, like with most things there is the occasional exception. Can't think off the top of my head where though. I can picture the shows and stories, but can't think of the titles.

Those and let's not forget Abuse = Comedy because physical and/or psychological torture is hell. As someone who was abused and someone who learned just how messed up it makes people it sickens me to know people claim it's hilarious but will say it's different when they finally get on the other end. Doesn't matter which end you're on, Abuse isn't comedy!

• Brohoof 1

Gay tropes are still a thing and evolved. At first we used the gay community as the butt of many sitcom or movie jokes. Like the main character is hit on by the one gay guy of the show/movie and its funny. Now its "LOOK AT ME IM FRIENDS WITH A GAY PERSON" or "IM GAY BUT MASCULINE" which is basically Modern Family in a nuthell, but there are others out there too.

Another go to trope for everyone: The quiet kid is that way cause he has a mental illness....but hes actually smart. As seen on the good doctor, big bang theory, and community. Not only is that offensive, but it does the opposite of raise awareness. I heard a kid legit say he wanted autism so he could be "wicker smart like Young Sheldon".

Last trope: The money episodes. Nearly every sitcom and cartoon series has one episode where the main character gets a lot of money, or is taken under the wing of someone with a lot of money. Then, cue the transformation montage and now they act like spoiled brats. Only to lose the money. Then they crawl back to those they forgot about and make up. Just once, id like to see a series do it differently. Like maybe they invested and got even more rich and now instead of a sitcom about middle class people its a sitcom about rich people. Maybe they hurt their friends so much they wont forgive them and theyre gone for good. Then those friends can have a spin off TV show...

I don't like episodes of tv shows where the characters switch bodies, because they never get it right (I don't think your vocal cords travel with your brain..)

And the episode is usually about the characters running around and getting lost in the wrong bodies, or its a child who is now an adult and is doing adult things and vice versa.

• Brohoof 2

Oh, I have a few tropes I am not quite fond of... 

First off, there's "Poor Communication Kills". (Yes, I will be quoting these directly from TvTropes.), where a miscommunication between characters causes a rift between them and utter chaos ensues, despite the fact that the situation could be completely and very easily resolved if everyone wasn't an idiot and is usually just to pad out the plot artificially.

Next up, we have the Body Swap, or, as it's otherwise known, the "Freaky Friday" flip. I have never seen a single instance of this trope that wasn't incredibly awkward, as neither character makes a single attempt to try and act like the other and eventually ruins everything for the sake of comedy. Even when it's done seriously, like a villain swapping bodies with a hero, it should be easy to prove this as the hero would know stuff the villain couldn't possibly know.

There was one more I was going to say, but I suddenly I can't remember what it was...

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

ANYTHING that makes a character magically more powerful that anyone else; being a chosen one, being the only one who can use the all-powerful macguffin, whatever. I much prefer to watch characters get stronger on their own merit, it feels far more real.>_>

• Brohoof 1