Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 9 pandering and minimalism

ManaMinori

On 4/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, Metemponychosis said:

People want to talk about it, they're excited/anxious and they're lacking information about the things they like. I think it happened every season. It probably is foolish though, but it's what fandoms do.

It's a waste of time and energy ultimately.

I'll be fine with references to the past here & there but I don't want the last season to be like "Hey, remember this?" in every single episode. 

If they want to be *really* nostalgic, I think they should save that for the Series Finale. 

• Brohoof 2

No, not the pandas! ^_^

Good grief, Saberspark was making fun of this all the way back in 2014 with Season 4, this is nothing new. The creative team has always prioritized their job as creating quality content, never winking and nodding at the fans. They are not going to turn a whole season into Double Rainboom. I know some people don't like the fan references, but so long as the overall episodes are good, I'm going to watch them. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Judging by the episode summaries we have currently, it doesn't sound particularly pandery. I'm just hoping we get another "Twilight's Kingdom"-esque battle sequence somewhere in S9. Does that count as fan pandering? 

It wouldn't be so bad to see another Slice of Life episode in appreciation to the fans. SoL didn't dominate the show, but it gave the show a spark that created immense energy and excitement. But I do understand the concern, in that I wouldn't want the show to compromise its content for the sake of trying to please the stiff lipped critics, who may want the show to be something it wasn't intended to be. On the hand, I'd also hate to see them steer the content so far away from Bronies out of fear that it would alienate their young audience. It's a family show, that's what Lauren wanted anyway. So as said before, moderation is the more difficult, more universal (more bold?) key we saw in the earliest seasons.

Good discussion. Lots to talk about.

• Brohoof 1

On 3/14/2019 at 8:42 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

I spotted this tweet in my feed and honestly, I couldn't agree more. I know many of the Brony community might disagree with this, but should the pandering be toned way down for season 9, or continue as it has been....?

Yes, but remember, this is the Final season, there are no new season's planned after this, except for the occasional 44min to 1hr special.  So with this final season being it, then pandering should (IMO) should be allowed, especially if the pandering helps close the book of some character arcs, minor-plot arcs (ex. Sparity, Pie/Apple relations, etc..), then I don't think there's a real problem with it.   It seems that this final season will be about giving back to the fans, and thanking those that help bring these characters (Mane 6/Spike) to life.

I think it’s amazing that thier are giving back to the community in a respectful way not a lot of programmes or even companies will go to this extent to make references for thier fans, but since it’s the last season it’s going to be a mixed feeling of the show being slightly tailor made knowing thier fans and fully honing in on the aspects of the storyline

• Brohoof 1

On 4/6/2019 at 10:44 AM, Metemponychosis said:

True. But it's their time and energy to do what they want with it.

Then I guess it's my fault letting them smash their rooms in hysterics because their assumptions prior to the season were wrong or if they rub the fact they were right about something in everyone's face.

Oh wait, it's not my fault.