Do You think Pegasus Ponies Can Lay Eggs?

Lucky Bolt

I mean think about it...they have wings, feathers, love sticks, build nests...why not have the ability to lay eggs? :dash: 

5A615619-B9FA-4C8F-AD76-D0B89D048379.thumb.jpeg.bf796bdf91d9039b82d7d0b7795b7cbc.jpeg

Yes, yes, I know they’re not technically birds, they’re ponies, but it’s still a fun theory. :-D

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

Pegasi have wings but that is not because they are related to avians. At least, I was unable to find any proof of this.

According to World Book: “The Pegasus of mythology was the offspring of the Gorgon Medusa, a monstrous woman with snakes for hair, and Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea and earthquakes—and horses. The Gorgons were three sisters in Greek mythology whose ugliness could turn a viewer to stone. Pegasus was born when Perseus, a hero in Greek mythology, slew the pregnant Medusa by cutting off her head. Pegasus sprang fully grown from Medusa’s head—or from her neck or her blood or the soil fertilized by her blood, depending on the account“ 

After reading other pieces about the origin of the creature, I saw nothing that stated avians had part in genetics. Pegasi are horses, which are mammals. Mammals give birth to live young with the exception of platypuses, echidnas, and some other special mammals. Based on, well, science, I would say that the pegasi in the MLP universe give birth to live young. I know that science in the MLP univerese is different then ours but, ya know, whatever.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man <3 said:

After reading other pieces about the origin of the creature, I saw nothing that stated avians had part in genetics. Pegasi are horses, which are mammals. Mammals give birth to live young with the exception of platypuses, echidnas, and some other special mammals. Based on, well, science, I would say that the pegasi in the MLP universe give birth to live young. I know that science in the MLP univerese is different then ours but, ya know, whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Someone went on record (I think it was Faust) saying that yes, Ponies 'do it' the normal way, not through some weird modern folklore involving storks or whatever. It'd be weird if that didn't also include the post-act of reproducing.

Probably also worth pointing out that there isn't the slightest hint of bird-like behavior in Pegusi. No nesting (like in the OP's image), pruning, or anything else of that nature. And the three tribes are treated like 'races' of Ponies, so there's that. We would've seen eggs by now I'm sure.

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

No, why should they? That's a bird stereotype

Laying eggs is not a stereotype for birds. It’s a fact. All avians lay eggs; none birth live young. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Bakugou Is My Man <3 said:

Laying eggs is not a stereotype for birds. It’s a fact. All avians lay eggs; none birth live young. 

Pegasi are still equines. it's like saying all winged, eh, creatures lay eggs just because they have wings.

Wat, just... wat.

No, I am fairly sure they don't lay eggs since pegasi are still equines and that in case are still mammals.

• Brohoof 1

It would hold true, if these pegasai had a beak or a hybrid combo of a snout + beak. Plus, they need to have no earlobes sticking out like any other mammal. Birds don’t have earlobes. They have earholes.

If an animal has ears sticking out, it’ll give birth to its young. If an animal has no ears sticking put, it’ll lay eggs.

No. Just because they have feathered wings, fly and supposedly build nests(don’t know where this came from) doesn’t necessarily mean they should. As others have said they’re still mammals despite having feathered wings. The wings are the only non mammalian thing about them, every other trait they have is still mammalian(the above post points out a few traits). So it’s a no on egg laying. Also there are mammals that build nests yknow. They aren’t in trees or anywhere high up but they still do it. Griffins, Hippogriffs, Dragons and probably Changelings and Breezies are the only sentient species we’ve seen that would most likely lay eggs. Along with you know every other animal that does it in Equestria and everywhere around it. 

Edited by OdellaLark

(edited)

Oh come on you guys. :yeahno: It was just a funny joke theory, you don't have to spoil the fun with super serious science facts, do you? :-P

But I'm really liking @Dreambiscuit's idea. Perhaps they only lay colorful Easter eggs on Easter! :love:

2 hours ago, OdellaLark said:

No. Just because they have feathered wings, fly and supposedly build nests(don’t know where this came from) 

It's popular fanfiction folklore! :yeahno:

Edited by Lucky Bolt

11 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Oh come on you guys. :yeahno: It was just a funny joke theory, you don't have to spoil the fun with super serious science facts, do you? :-P

But I'm really liking @Dreambiscuit's idea. Perhaps they only lay colorful Easter eggs on Easter! :love:

It's popular fanfiction folklore! :yeahno:

I suppose if they want to go for a more fantastic setting it could work. :dash: 

It’d certainly set them apart from other pegasi.  Maybe certain pegasi lay colorful eggs? Perhaps ones like Dashie with rainbow manes and tails or really pastel colored ones? 

And I didn’t know it was a fanfic lore thing heh. 

19 hours ago, OdellaLark said:

I suppose if they want to go for a more fantastic setting it could work. :dash: 

It’d certainly set them apart from other pegasi.  Maybe certain pegasi lay colorful eggs? Perhaps ones like Dashie with rainbow manes and tails or really pastel colored ones? 

And I didn’t know it was a fanfic lore thing heh. 

Birds will lay eggs even without a mate. Do the Ponies eat the eggs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
(edited)

They are not birds, they're mammals with bird wings. And if they can have offspring with other ponies, I see that theory as something somewhat absurd.

Now, that RD pic is very cute.

Edited by Acons

• 1 year later...