Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What pony games do you want to exist?

HelloJinxie

As a game dev im curious, if you were to make a pony game, how would you make it? Currently working a non-pony game (I dont wanna fight copyright) but I am just interest in what all of you would do if you had a chance? Or better yet, if Hasbro were to hire a big company what would you think it would be like (ignoring there mobile game)? 

Tbh, I would love to see a thirdperson platformer with ponies. Or an open world ubisoft-like game.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Am Equestria Girls game made in the style of the modern Persona games, complete with demon summoning, dungeon crawling, social links, and being a high school dating sim :p

image.thumb.png.99388d5f8090a322941583c384ed9255.png

If for simplicity's sake though, something harmless, a platformer collectathon akin to Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 6

Just put some pony skins on the Doom engine. :umad:

Actually, I had thought about a simple 3D adventure. You start as Twilight and unlock the others. Each character has special abilities that you use to get past certain points. It can have some rpg elements.

• Brohoof 2

This one's a physical board game, rather than a video game, but it's something I've been puzzled about why it does not exist already. Given Hasbro owns several game companies, I've always wondered why they don't take advantage of that with cross-product games. As a note: I'm writing this as I go along off the top of my head, none of this has been playtested or even checked for reasonableness.

Basically, it's an attempt at making a collectible game out of their existing collectibles: the blind-bags.

The goal of the game is to make friends, the one who makes the most friends by whatever the end conditions is wins.

The base game starts with a bunch of tiles, each tile representing a location from the show. Each turn, you draw a random tile and place it, much like any other tile-drawing game. This tile indicates how many ponies are in that location, and any modifiers to gameplay in that location. (Some may make it more difficult to make friends, or easier, or make things more complicated.) If you want to plan for tile expansion sets, you could have the base set be Ponyville locations, with Canterlot, Manehatten, etc. as expansions. Each tileset has a recommended number of blind-bags to get as well. This will get expensive as you get more sets, but that's capitalism for you.

Next, all the blind-bag ponies get a small card with a description and some simple statistics like 'friendliness' and 'movement', and maybe some kind of quirk for a more advanced game. Since these cards don't exist yet, they are available on the Hasbro MLP website for downloading.

One of those blind-bag ponies is your playing piece, you move it around the tiles, up to your movement statistic. The rest of the blind-bags you own are randomly drawn from the 'stable' to place on the tiles as indicated. You land on a tile with ponies, you can 'make friends' by rolling against their 'friendliness' score, modified by the tile you're on, one at a time. If you fail, you have to stop there, even if there are ponies you haven't tried to befriend yet on that tile as your turn is ended. Any you succeeded to make friends with, you take off the tile and put in your 'herd'. This is your score.

Game ends when one player gets 'x' friends, or the tiles run out, or something like that.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I want an Equestria Online where the game isn't trying to cause a mass physical to digital exodus (like a fan fiction I read). Just log in, be a pony or other species, fight monsters, level up, cook, whatever

And everyone's in the same world, or a limited amount of channels/instances. Maybe 5 or so of each major zone

Slice of life with the usual online game stuff

:adorkable:

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

I'd love a game where I am playing as a villain of my choice, with plots, plans, and schemes to conquer and destroy the mane 6. With the ending differing depending on how you play, who you choose, etc, all dealing with Equestria being conquered and the mane 6 being killed off or enslaved. With brutal fighting, showing friendship can't prevent a massive army, hellbent on the destruction of the very idea of friendship and bringing glory and conquest to the villain you play as, with massive monologues, evil laughs, gloating, yes....all of that...!

Edited by Califorum

The thing is, as a game developer myself (that is not afraid of Hasbro lawyers), I have had many retro game ideas where simply putting MLP characters and their stories into the games, would be interesting for me to play. Back in 2013 I was almost about to do something that I am glad I didn't. When "Fighting is Magic" was at its highest popularity, I was so inspired that I had developed a better way to represent the ponies than that game had, and was ready to do basically any of my ideas.

At this point, when there are very few Bronies left, and G4 is soon over, investing in making a game could be quite disappointing. I have looked in this forum for inspiration, but many projects are just blogs, and not very interactive.

I am a C++ programmer that is stuck on Windows PC platform. Any work I would do would yield in a good product, but limited to that platform. I have no idea how many Bronies are sitting on their iPhone/Android and won't even try to boot a PC to try a game, no matter how much quality has been put into it.

• Brohoof 3

[The name of Tim Pool's new channel] but with ponies

canvas.png.8e9574546b4d8bae56fec8be5bb3aaa1.png

You, The Hero, are leading a rebellion against the puritanical god Hasberion, its glorious minions, fedora-tipping white knights, and Sudoku-obsessed fanboys that are attempting to purge all fun from the whimsical realms in the name of Friendship, Harmony, and thinking of the children.

1 hour ago, Bas said:

I think my initial thought would be a japanese styled RPG.

I agree - building a strong team that works well together fits with the whole theme of the show (and I suppose one could play around with combat mechanics to try and depict 'social combat', were one so inclined.)

I don't know if a mod 'counts' in this context, but I do play a fair bit of...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still building the game I want to see, and have been since 2012, since I'm making it from scratch and am including an editor.  It's a platformer/shmup with RPG elements; I'm working on an equipment and inventory system at the moment.

Once it's done, there'll be fully customizable enemies and bosses, and fully customizable playable characters, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 3:46 AM, Lektra Bolt said:

I want an Equestria Online where the game isn't trying to cause a mass physical to digital exodus (like a fan fiction I read). Just log in, be a pony or other species, fight monsters, level up, cook, whatever

And everyone's in the same world, or a limited amount of channels/instances. Maybe 5 or so of each major zone

Slice of life with the usual online game stuff

:adorkable:

I would actually LOVE this to be a thing!

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, an action rpg in the style of tales games with pony characters, with a unique storyline where you the player can decide to be either a villain or hero and your choices outcome the fate of the land. Id have plenty of good ideas, some already out there like Ponyvania Order Of Equestria and some like the one i mentioned that isnt out there. But the tales game idea would have you make an oc or character to use that isnt the mane six and the princesses and every other pony in the show because they would appear, if you choose the bad side, you would be able to recruit the villains of the show and aid them in getting their conquest, while if you choose the heroic side you could recruit the heroes of the show and even unlock the princesses tia and luna to help you save all of equestria, heck even recruiting some of the side chars like Vinyl Scratch, Octavia and Derpy Hooves for unique battle styles to help even out your party if like example Vinyl could use like musical attacks same to octavia while derpy is well being derpy and doing silly stuff like crashing into enemies and doing damage but also damaging herself in the process as that would make more sense. And other characters like say Discord (whos basically an anti hero) could be like an optional char to recruit to use. While other ocs as long as they aint god like could be recruited as well, cuz we wouldnt want an oc that could one shot enemies to be in the game cuz that would make things pretty unfair lol.

If anyone here doesnt know what i mean by tales game, youtube tales of abyss or tales of symphonia gameplay to see exactly what im talking about.

• Brohoof 1

MLP/Dynasty Warriors, but with Arkham trilogy style melee and Mass Effect style ranged combat, all in a Valkyra chronicles style of cell shading. A story where you time hop and jump dimensions 'Cutie remark' style, fighting on behalf of one of the pony races, the rival nations of creatures, armies belonging to one of the baddies or as one of the Mane 7. 

Perhaps something like the Digimon world series, but instead of taming or evolving, you'd be trying to sway ponies and creatures to your team by meeting different friendship criteria and solving Equestria's problems together. 

Or Pony Simulator, which is just Goat Simulator meets Crackdown 3. 

Or y'know, Twilight Sparkle's Secret Shipfic Folder the video game? 

• 3 weeks later...

How about a puzzle platformer game like The Lost Vikings, but with ponies? Each pony has different abilities and you need to use them to get all ponies past puzzles. It would go together with the whole "working together" part of the show. I remember playing Vikings a lot, I really liked it.

Or an adventure game (point and click or otherwise). I like those types of games.

Other than that, I can't think of what game would specifically need ponies in it or, conversely, what game to put the ponies in.

• Brohoof 1