Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Do Vendors Do With Their Remaining Merchandise After Conventions?

LucasB

There were many awesome little items that were sold at Bronycon, but being a poor college student I refrained from buying too much and now I really regret it and want to get some more stuff :adorkable:

Where do the people that had booths in the marketplace do with their merch after the con? Do they sell it online or something? There were these cutie mark glass charms that were so nice and I really want to get them but I can't find it anywhere online, I looked on Amazon, eBay and Etsy. Is there a special pony marketplace I'm not aware of? :grin:

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Sherbert MGS said:

They obviously sell it online

I thought so but at first I couldn't figure out where, but as the others have mentioned they have their own websites which are posted on bronycon.org so... case solved xD

BTW, wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to sell on Amazon or a large retailers tho, where they'll get more customers? Just wondering.

It helps to take one of the business cards offered at their table. You can also make a last minute purchase if you manage to catch them loading their wares onto a cargo van (like I did w/ my AJ shirt) or if they agree to meet you up in their room (how I landed the Bronycon docs in 2013). 

1 hour ago, Egg-3 said:

BTW, wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to sell on Amazon or a large retailers tho, where they'll get more customers? Just wondering.

I imagine some do. Problem is pony merch is pretty niche, good quality stuf is pricey, and Hasbro dominates search results. Best to try more artistic or independent sites like Etsy or Welovefine. 

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Problem is pony merch is pretty niche, good quality stuf is pricey, and Hasbro dominates search results. Best to try more artistic or independent sites like Etsy or Welovefine. 

It sure is! I was taken aback when the handmade plushes were going for hundreds of dollars, I got mine from 4th dimension for just 25. It took a few hours for me to get used to how expensive everything was (and rightfully so - they were handmade after all) but I was just there for a day so I literally had a few hours to make all my purchases xD

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Egg-3 said:

Nope. Fan-product manufacturers run on little to no margin. The stuff's expensive because it's expensive to make, in material and time-spent. Most of those vendors are making the stuff themselves, in their garage. It's not coming from big factories in China for pennies per unit. Because of that, they can't afford the cut that the retailers want through mark-up (in the case of regular retailers) or fees (in the case of Amazon).

• Brohoof 2