Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you noticed something different when you rewatched the show?

Ittoni

I've been following the first reactions of Ponybro from the very first season, just past mare do well right now, and now I'm starting to remember things that I knew they were true in my heart.

Season one had it's problems for sure but it was consistent, and it's so unbelievable that for today's standards it feels so basic but back then it was so revolutionary that the show lacked even the most basic of things and that's what was impressive aside from the lessons that were a nice bonus and a most needed addition to any kids shows in general, even for the general public they were something you could think about and learn from it. The sudden weirdness too but it was weird cute, weird entertaining, weird fun (save for pinky in party of one of course but it was still believable).

But starting season two the consistencies started to get thrown straight to the drain for just the plot or the lesson, or simply to give the audience more of "what they liked" and get reactions from them even if it murdered the character to get a response, there was this weird passing sometimes, or weird pauses, the faces that kept on going before the commercial cut, a ton of weird continuity stuff. It was more pleaser and less focused on the characters relationships themselves for the most part. The lessons thought improved quite a bit but the way the episodes tried to get there is either really good or really bad, very few middles solely because of the change in personality of some of the six or the town itself.

There was a real change with Applejack mostly. She started like most people remember her, like this big sister, grown up, understanding, she was basically Twilight's right hoof. And well I guess I'll experience her sudden decline a second time. Same with Big Mac. Not saying he's a bad character at all but he had a completely different personality which I liked better personally... Oh and how rarity started to get worse with fashion as time goes on for some reason. Twilight having untreated ocd, and all the changes to her backstory. Rainbow has always been a narcissist but she at least would have the others to stop herself, not later on mostly. Pinky started to loose ground on reality. Fluttershy started to loose her cuteness for sudden strange outbursts. Etc.

I'm still weirded out by twilight's breakdown in season 2. It doesn't make sense because she was being really freaky even before the actual conflict started and it's like... wt.. did you had acid twitwi? Or were the mlp staff on acid that day and some other subsequent episodes? but a lot of ppl liked it so I suppose it comes down to the type of humor of every individual. I certainly didn't liked it back then and i don't really like it rewatching it, but the lesson is amazing. Still, I do feel like in the first season the characters were well balanced but in season 2 specifically sometimes the mane six were downright annoying. It's so polarizing because is both one of my favorite seasons because of what it brought and bettered and one of the ones I hate the most for what it changed forever.

Anyway I'll keep watching in the meantime. 

Has it changed your perspective in some way rewatching the show?

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

S1 suffers from that "early start finding footing" problem a majority of shows in general do, but it's probably the most consistent and the one of only two seasons in the entire show where I'm willing to rewatch in its entirety(the other being S3, though mainly due to its short nature). There's also a certain charm to it that later seasons don't quite capture(and disappears completely by S6)

As for Lesson Zero, that episode is a blessing and a curse because it's still one of my favorite episodes and one of the funniest, but it was really obvious they used it as inspiration for most of her episodes going forward given how hard they tried to make "TWILIGHTING" an actual thing late in the show

• Brohoof 2

They made some of the characters possess a lot of selfish qualities they previously didn’t. For example, Rainbow Dash was putting looking “cool” to the Wodnerbolts in Newbie Dash over considering the safety of herself and others. Another moment I can think of is Twilight taking trivia too seriously and upsetting Pinkie in A Trivial Pursuit (is that right?).

I suppose that has happened in earlier episodes too like in the Ticket Master, but I feel like sometimes the selfishness isn’t addressed and the characters are able to get away with things. I guess in a way that’s representative of how society and people and general can act sometimes anyway, but in the later seasons sometimes the selfish behaviors felt very random and out of character.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

They made some of the characters possess a lot of selfish qualities they previously didn’t. For example, Rainbow Dash was putting looking “cool” to the Wodnerbolts in Newbie Dash over considering the safety of herself and others. Another moment I can think of is Twilight taking trivia too seriously and upsetting Pinkie in A Trivial Pursuit (is that right?).

I suppose that has happened in earlier episodes too like in the Ticket Master, but I feel like sometimes the selfishness isn’t addressed and the characters are able to get away with things. I guess in a way that’s representative of how society and people and general can act sometimes anyway, but in the later seasons sometimes the selfish behaviors felt very random and out of character.

I wonder if this is a regular ocurrence with shows in general. Maybe I haven't realized. 

• Brohoof 1

When I was rewatching Season 1 not long ago I noticed that Pinkie Pie used to sing way more back then. She had small songs/musical numbers almost every episode she was in.

Also, Trixie got the second dot in her eyes in later seasons, which probably means that she turned good.

Edited by Oleks
  • Brohoof 4

It evolved from your everyday kids show into an actual story.

I remember this sort of reflected feeling on season 1 but more so for other content, like some of the earlier music created by the fandom and how the variety expanded and the quality became professional, but you still hear the signature sounds for the artists way back when.

• Brohoof 1

When we did a rewatch thing on the site last year, I noticed a couple of things that I had missed the first time around in the pilot.

First, while Twi is dictating a letter to the princess, Nightmare Moon can be seen reflected in the hourglass she walks by.

and second, when Nightmare moon first appears, three fillies are seen cowering together as a group... and they are the CMC, who allegedly hadn't met yet.

1 minute ago, SharpWit said:

It evolved from your everyday kids show into an actual story.

I think it was an actual story right from the start. Part of the genius of the fausticorn was that she had twilight's development and eventual crowning as queen all mapped out (even if the route that was eventually taken had a bunch of non-faust detours....)

• Brohoof 3

I noticed the nostrils of all ponies from front view moved upwards a bit after Season 3. yea, the little details. I guess they noticed an error that the nostrils were too far down, which can be noticed in Magical Mystery Cure a lot. spla_twilfly.gif

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

As the series went on, AJ never did really develop and from being pretty much second in charge she started to shine less. RD was to me more interesting in the first few seasons and not showing her with the WB more actually hurt her character a bit in my opinion, but overall she developed and stayed herself. Rarity in my opinion improved after a few seasons and it was satisfying to see her development and arc. Pinkie was the most inconsistent, she had some episodes(especially in season 4) where she was on something I am sure, or maybe the real PP got sent to the mirror pole and it took some time for the new PP to acclimate :blink:, she returned to her usual self in season 5 and did not really change as far as I am concerned, but in later season her episodes quality declined. FS really grew out of her shell, its so staggering to see her season 1 self and season 9 self, while she still remained somewhat shy. And TS of course changed in many ways, despite some questionable decisions, I liked what they did in the end.

Some seasons had different feel to them, season 1 and 2 were more free spirited and lighter(for the good and for the bad), season 3 felt a bit rushed but overall similar to the first 2, season 4 started the change, it became more mature yet stayed with many S1-3 aspects. Season 5 was the most mature season, and in my opinion lost a bit of the original feel to it. S6 was a bit weird, S7 had the perfect mix ans S8-9 her some of the original feel and something new(S9 executed it better). 

The story telling improved after a few seasons and each season had its own positives and negatives, but after season 3 it felt like the show had a direction, a story to tell and not just a fun cartoon.

• Brohoof 2

The thing that changes is how much I love it. It grows more and more every time! :wub:
But to answer the question a bit fuller, there’s always something different you notice when rewatching it. :darling: There are moments where you think ‘Oh, that changed,’ or ‘That sure stayed the same.’ :ticking: That’s the joy of it! :mlp_ooh:

• 11 months later...

I noticed that the character's eyes had changed since the first season. In the beginning they were more dilated and by season four they had gotten smaller. When I watched the pilot again for the second time I was like whoa!

• 8 months later...

I always discover new things in every watch-through, to be entirely honest. It's not very much worth mentioning, mostly I enjoy what characters do in the background and various expressions. When there are multiple characters on the screen, it's easier to miss out on something. And since the show is full of details...yeah, there is always something new. :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

The voices got deeper and the animation became more expressive (sometimes too expressive).

Applejack and Sweetie Belle's voices definitely got deeper as time went on and it felt like Twilight's voice changed a bit, too at least to me.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

I love seeing the animation evolve and hearing the voices change. The CMC aging, AJ’s voice gradually getting lower.

It’s one of those shows where no matter how many times you watch it, there’s always something new to discover. :wub:

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Applejack and Sweetie Belle's voices definitely got deeper as time went on and it felt like Twilight's voice changed a bit, too at least to me.

Makes sense for Sweetie Belle though since she was growing up. As for AJ, I'm not sure what prompted the voice shift. Maybe Hasbro found the deeper voices to be more appealing or perhaps it was easier on the VAs.

• Brohoof 1