Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Super Smash Bros Ultimate: New DLC Fighter Reveal

Photon Jet

You better watch out, you better not cry. You better not flip 'cause I'm telling ya why. It's time for a new DLC fighter!

That's right. Out of nowhere, a new character will be joining the fight. This is the best time for us to decide who will be the chosen one today. To recap, we have Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Byleth and Min Min (who broke the "Spirits can't be fighters" rule).

So who do you think will be revealed in the latest Smash Direct? Here are some of my predictions:

Geno (Super Mario RPG)

Dimentio (Super Paper Mario)

Octoling (Splatoon 2)

Zacian & Zamazenta (Pokemon Sword & Shield)

Rillaboom (Pokemon Sword & Shield)

Klonoa (Klonoa)

Rayman (Rayman)

Magolor (Kirby: Return to Dream Land)

Neptune (Megadimension Neptunia)

Spyro the Dragon (Spyro the Dragon)

Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

Palico (Monster Hunter)

Tracer (Overwatch)

Berecca (Ninjala)

Van (Ninjala)

Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

The latest Smash Direct starts at 3pm UK time. You can join the livestream from here. I know I did:

Edited by Photon Jet

It's Steve. Why did you have to succumb to the normies Sakurai? This is one of the characters that I really DIDN'T want for Smash.

But you did it right so, good on you I guess. Was going to say "what's next? Fortnite?"

Edited by Dusknoir
  • Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

So much bitching online about the choice.

Steve's only the main character of the most popular game of this generation. Him being in Smash makes sense.

Except it doesn't, given he's merely a generic skin on said game. Minecraft storymode is a different thing (which he is not representing directly).

All in all, this is insulting to older smash bros players. Nintendo has a sea of characters and IPs that deserve the slot far more than the generic default skin of the building sandbox game. This is merely pandering for a cashgrab. It sickens me. Would have prefered another fire emblem echo instead.

• Brohoof 1

Ha! Love Minecraft. Congrats to Steve.

One of his Alts better be Alex.

EDIT: OMG OR HEROBRINE! LOL, it won’t happen, but if it did, I’d laugh my @$$ off.

EDIT 2: Oh sweet, there WILL be Alex! And is that an Enderman? I LOVE ENDERMAN!

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, I think this character looks pretty great. Yeah "Steve" isn't very much of a character but neither is the Villager from Animal Crossing, they're both just player avatars. Mr. Game and Watch was even less of a character until Smash made him one. Minecraft is the best selling video game of all time so this isn't much of a shock, it's extremely beloved and it looks like they made a pretty unique fighter out of him. Kinda love how he literally just looks like he was ripped straight out of Minecraft too, that and how he keeps eating steak like some sort of power move, especially during his final Smash.:mlp_laugh:

I get people being disappointed because this isn't the character they wanted, but it's weird seeing people act like this is some personal offense.

44 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Ha! Love Minecraft. Congrats to Steve.

One of his Alts better be Alex.

EDIT: OMG OR HEROBRINE! LOL, it won’t happen, but if it did, I’d laugh my @$$ off.

No Herobrine, but he does have Alex as a skin, plus a Minecraft Zombie and a really short Enderman.

Edit: Looks like you figured that out yourself, before I said it. The short Enderman looks so weird to me, used to them being tall.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

Edit: Looks like you figured that out yourself, before I said it. The short Enderman looks so weird to me, used to them being tall.

Agreed. Enderman are best when they’re spindly and uncanny.

2 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Agreed. Enderman are best when they’re spindly and uncanny.

Part of me thinks they would have made better assist trophies, or maybe as a hazard/enemy on the Minecraft stage. Teleporting around, placing blocks, going into a rage when one of the characters looks at them. Getting to play as one is cool too though, even if it looks odd.

This is interesting. Very interesting. Having an overwatch and minecraft character would make this the first smash game with characters from series made outside of japan wouldn't it? it's definitely new. I guess it must be an attempt to increase interest and get people back into the game, but I don't see it as a bad thing. It sets a new precedent, for the future of this franchise.  

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 1

This was a good decision, business wise, given how Minecraft is one of the most popular games to have been released within the past ten years, but from what I can tell, the announcement has been quite divided. I have no opinion on Steve and Alex as I've never played Minecraft but I know people are happy about it. As such, I'll remain neutral and just wait and see what happens next.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Except it doesn't, given he's merely a generic skin on said game. Minecraft storymode is a different thing (which he is not representing directly).

All in all, this is insulting to older smash bros players. Nintendo has a sea of characters and IPs that deserve the slot far more than the generic default skin of the building sandbox game. This is merely pandering for a cashgrab. It sickens me. Would have prefered another fire emblem echo instead.

The last thing Smash needs is more Fire Emblem characters, echo or not. 

Like it or not, Steve from Minecraft is as popular as Mario to an entire generation of gamers.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I was surprised to see Steve, along with Alex, Zombie and Enderman. I completely forgot about Minecraft. Based on the likes and dislikes on the reveal, it had a positive reception.

I hereby welcome the fighters of Minecraft to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! 

Edited by Photon Jet

Never cared for Minecraft and I didn’t really want Steve, but I can’t really deny that he’s a good choice for the game. At least he’s not another fucking Fire Emblem character 

That said I’m still crossing my fingers for Crash, Shantae, Travis, Doomguy, Scorpion or Jill to show at one. I would like more Nintendo characters but there’s barely I can think of like Impa or Wonder Red and most of the ones I do want are assist trophies :dry:

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

The last thing Smash needs is more Fire Emblem characters, echo or not. 

Like it or not, Steve from Minecraft is as popular as Mario to an entire generation of gamers.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. What a sad generation of gamers it is, too. Kids that think LoL is innovative when DOTA was already doing that, despite they both are dumbed down derivatives from good ol' RTS.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/1/2020 at 10:20 AM, Dusknoir said:

It's Steve. Why did you have to succumb to the normies Sakurai? This is one of the characters that I really DIDN'T want for Smash.

But you did it right so, good on you I guess. Was going to say "what's next? Fortnite?"

So to give a more nuanced version of this, I didn't want Steve in smash primarily because I was worried they wouldn't really utilize the source material instead making him yet another semi-generic sword character. Bless Sakurai for proving me wrong.

But I will say, the day Fortnite gets representation and Geno isn't in Smash is the day I start posting angry comments on the reveal and leaving a dislike on it. Because honestly people just being okay with adding whatever is popular with the Zoomer crowd is concerning. At least Minecraft is a decent game and with the moveset Steve has I'm down with the inclusion.

Edited by Dusknoir

23 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

So much bitching online about the choice.

Steve's only the main character of the most popular game of this generation. Him being in Smash makes sense.

I was surprised at first, but now taking that statement into mind, I can see why Steve would've been chosen. I still play Minecraft even after all these years, even before Minecraft got all popular again because of well-known streamers. :grin: