Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

your opinions on marriage?

bubbleteapony

I think the idea of marriage is a good one. Being together without making it ‘official’ is a subtle way of suggesting that you don’t trust yourself or your special somepony to go the distance, and that seems like an insult to both parties. Marriage is all about trust, and making sacrifices for someone else. But it’s not a one-way street that’s all give and no take; both sides participate. If they can’t, don’t or won’t then they don’t possess the maturity for any sort of commitment.

I don’t think marriage is an institution created and embraced simply so that others won’t judge. Marriage should never be about what others think. It’s a verbal contract between two people and nothing else.

For this reason I’m not a big fan of elaborate weddings; because they put too much emphasis on putting on a show for those in attendance. I think it reduces the true meaning and sincerity of the ceremony. When I got married it was private; just me, the groom, best man, bridesmaid and the priest. No families were invited. I would have been a nervous wreck if they were.

• Brohoof 2

To the extent that marriage is a means by which the reproductive functions of the wife is only accessible to the husband and the husband's financial assets is accessible to the wife and with that resulting in establishing the family unit, then it is necessary for the continued existence of a functioning society. I recall polygamous societies to be more violent than monogamous societies because high status males, having taken multiple wives, will leave no women for low status males.

21 hours ago, Light Blade said:

I hope churchless version is real. If I ever marry someone, I don't want it to be big and/or loud.

At least for me personally, I am NOT having a "christian" wedding. I'm agnostic, but I was raised Jewish, so if anything I'd have a more jewish-leaning celebration at least in terms of traditions. I don't want religion involved in my wedding 

On 10/31/2020 at 1:55 PM, Sunny Fox said:

Marriage, like many other outmoded concepts, will probably vanish into the luminiferous ether sometime in the next hundred years (as will religion I hope). It died about the same time the word "bastard" stopped referring to a child conceived out of wedlock, and started referring to a "man/woman I don't like". It just hasn't stopped moving yet.

On 10/31/2020 at 1:19 PM, Bastian said:

Originally the idea of getting married is for the rich guys at the top to unify their riches and stuff. More political than anything else 

But what about the people at the bottom who have no such problems since they aren't rich? What about us?

Thankfully for the people down below who want to get married do so for the love they have towards each other (or so I really hope), they want their relationship to be something greater than just a relationship. 

And I love those kinds of marriages for that reason, like religion in the best cases (like mine) it's a belief that makes oneself happy without affecting the rest.

So yeah, I guess I would like to get married someday. Or maybe not. I am not sure.

I don't see marriage dying out anytime soon (or religion for that matter) but it certainly doesn't have quite the meaning it used to. As someone born and presenting as a woman, I'm certainly glad i don't have to marry a man just to have access to a bank account or land anymore. I'd say the only financial incentive for a marriage nowadays is the tax break, and I'd *like* to say that people are more motivated to marry for romantic reasons than financial, but I'm sure that can't speak for everyone

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Light Blade said:

I hope churchless version is real. If I ever marry someone, I don't want it to be big and/or loud.

There're marriage celebrations all over the world, not simply christian ones.  Hell, you could make up your own traditional wedding with traditions you made up.  Or just have a small courthouse wedding since you'll need to sign legal documents in the first place in order to become legally wedded to someone.  Not every wedding needs to be a big, flashy, religious affair with hundreds of people attending, it's really up to the couple and what they want in a ceremony.

• Brohoof 1

I find that this day and age, marriage is more often than not rushed. I see it more of a gamble where you gain little and high risk of loss, or getting stuck in a miserable relationship in the same house. High school sounds like a paradise compared to this last one :scoots:

• 1 month later...