Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Twilight Failed?

Stardust Live

Twilight almost didn't get the chance to study in Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns at all before Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom suddenly startled her and her magic. Once she, uh, exploded with magic, Celestia accepted her into school and as her personal student.

But what if that hadn't happened? How do you think she would have reacted or grown up?

She's shown to be kinda groomed for success, has issues regarding failure and her parents seem to have games with her and her brother that result in incredibly fierce rivalry. The same brother that ended up being Captain of the Royal Guard and marrying a princess. The failure to get into the elite school would, in my opinion, cut her in half and set her down Moondancer territory

• Brohoof 1

The alternate time lines we've seen are all valid options. I kind of root for the King Sombra variant since it's one of the best fleshed out and most similar I think to what actually happened, though I'd argue that Nightmare Moon's is the most likely.

It's highly unlikely that every incoming student was expected to hatch a dragon egg. Rather, that test was probably a special one given to kids whom Celestia thought might be future princess material.

If Twilight failed that one, she would probably have been accepted as a regular student instead of getting private lessons from Celestia. She would ultimately become roughly the same book horse we all know and love, except going into magical research or something instead of meeting the rest of the Mane Six and later sprouting wings. She'd still have the life she thought she wanted - just not quite up to her true potential as we saw.

And maybe she'd also have maintained her relationship with Moondancer instead of forgetting about her after being shipped to Ponyville.

I would be interested in what she would decide to do. Twilight has always been guided by people who are honestly, less effective than she is. Princess of friendship? The girl who could barely stand people? How? How did Celestia decide Twilight was meant to do that? All she's seen u to the start of the show is a misanthrope/sociopath to the point she even worried about her making friends. How the hell do you see princess of friendship in that?

Edited by Kadeda