Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If MLP was a different show owned by a different company do you think it would be more popular?

Paleopony

(edited)

What if the show we all know and love was not associated with the My Little Pony brand at all but was still created by the same people ( Lauren Faust, Megan McCarthy, M.A. Larson, ect.) and the same voice actors/actresses played their respective roles. I personally think that it would be way more popular if it was named something other than My Little Pony : Friendship Is Magic and owned by a company like Universal or Warner Bros or something like that, although it would still be considered a girls show. 

What do you think?

Edited by Paleopony
  • Brohoof 2

If Universal or Warner Bros owned it, I think it still would’ve been very popular. I actually think the series would’ve ended differently too because those studios actually listen to the fans which is something that Hasbro aren’t very good at. :Daydreaming:

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

If Universal or Warner Bros owned it, I think it still would’ve been very popular. I actually think the series would’ve ended differently too because those studios actually listen to the fans which is something that Hasbro aren’t very good at. :Daydreaming:

Listening to fans doesn't necessarily mean good.... Like listening to Twitter...

• Brohoof 2

Hard to say; part of the appeal is the fact that they're ponies. 

I mean, the world of Equestria is basically a human world adapted to horses, so it's very different and yet so familiar.  Ponies still form a civilization despite not having opposable thumbs.  Three types of ponies make for interesting dynamics and spreads of abilities.  There's also a bit of "forbidden fruit" to it, in that most of us are too old or the wrong gender for that kind of thing---and the fact that it feels like it should be off-limits ironically makes it more appealing, at least when we're starting out.

Of course, other species could accomplish all of this, too, so I'm not sure whether it would've been more popular or not.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

A lot of the problems with the show started because they began focusing more on listening to the Bronies, the majority of whom had no idea what made the show successful in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, RulesofRarity said:

A lot of the problems with the show started because they began focusing more on listening to the Bronies, the majority of whom had no idea what made the show successful in the first place. 

I meant more about acknowledging the fans and doing it right. They faltered a couple of times. I had quite a few problems with the last episode for example. 

3 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

Hard to say; part of the appeal is the fact that they're ponies. 

I mean, the world of Equestria is basically a human world adapted to horses, so it's very different and yet so familiar.  Ponies still form a civilization despite not having opposable thumbs.  Three types of ponies make for interesting dynamics and spreads of abilities.  There's also a bit of "forbidden fruit" to it, in that most of us are too old or the wrong gender for that kind of thing---and the fact that it feels like it should be off-limits ironically makes it more appealing, at least when we're starting out.

Of course, other species could accomplish all of this, too, so I'm not sure whether it would've been more popular or not.

I meant that if MLP : FIM was exactly the same with no changes whatsoever, which means the characters would still be ponies with the exact same art design and have the same names, and the shows staff was exactly the same, and the show still had all of the same episodes as we know them, just the show was not owned by Hasbro and was not called My Little Pony. Instead it would have been titled something like Adventures in Equestria ( I can't think of a better name ) but it would still be the exact same show episode for episode. 

Sorry if my question wasn't clear.

• Brohoof 1

Probably, it got by with it's cute artwork and some good writing, with only it having the MLP stigma dragging it down. Of course, with Hasbro no longer at the helm and no longer having the MLP branding, it makes a lot of the questionable decisions made later down the line look a whole lot worse imo

It's possible that something along those lines could cause more people to be willing to give the show a chance. Plus, without Hasbro handing out C&Ds all the time, the creatives of the fandom may have felt more inclined to stick around. That being said, the show's writing arguably got worse towards the end, which was definitely a factor for some fans loosing interest in the series. So I'd think that the fandom would probably be a little bit bigger with a different name and company behind it, but not too much bigger.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Landi said:

It's possible that something along those lines could cause more people to be willing to give the show a chance. Plus, without Hasbro handing out C&Ds all the time, the creatives of the fandom may have felt more inclined to stick around. That being said, the show's writing arguably got worse towards the end, which was definitely a factor for some fans loosing interest in the series. So I'd think that the fandom would probably be a little bit bigger with a different name and company behind it, but not too much bigger.

1 hour ago, Megas said:

Probably, it got by with it's cute artwork and some good writing, with only it having the MLP stigma dragging it down. Of course, with Hasbro no longer at the helm and no longer having the MLP branding, it makes a lot of the questionable decisions made later down the line look a whole lot worse imo

Exactly my thoughts!

• Brohoof 2

Assuming MLP was still a brand, I don't think this alternative would have gotten very far off of the ground because there's no way there wouldn't be a lawsuit.

Also our Fandom is already niche though incredibly well known, so I dont think being under different ownership would change anything if everything else is the same.

• Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Assuming MLP was still a brand, I don't think this alternative would have gotten very far off of the ground because there's no way there wouldn't be a lawsuit.

Let's say My Little Pony was still a brand but what we call FIM had nothing to do with it at all. It just happened to have colorful talking ponies.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Paleopony said:

Let's say My Little Pony was still a brand but what we call FIM had nothing to do with it at all. It just happened to have colorful talking ponies.

After finding a franchise I'd never heard of prior called "Filly Funtasia", then it could have minor success, but I think lawsuits would still come into play.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filly_Funtasia

I suggest reading the Internet Popularity section,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filly_(toy),

and Lawsuits here.

@SharpWit Yes!

The Filly Funtasia is a typical example of a show that could rival MLP, if they just were brave enough to make it a little better. The problem is, that is, like its toy line (Filly), was still aimed towards little girls.... There is a bigger audience out there, whenever some company is willing to battle Hasbro, make it super good! I am waiting! I have $ monies $!

• Brohoof 1

It hardly matters if the show has the same title or studio as long as it has everything else. Lauren Faust and the MLP team did a great job and probably would have done the same no matter what company was signing the checks. As long as the production and creative circumstances remained the same, I assume the same outcome would result. Whether or not it goes by MLP or another moniker wouldn’t likely have a huge impact except for the audiences who already know and love the previous gens. MLP fans no doubt love having G4 and some of the recurring pony personalities (or at least the names) from the earlier series, but a show of this quality would no doubt make new fans under any name or studio. I don’t know if it would be more popular with a different studio; that depends on the promotional budget of the studio involved. But as we know, with a show this good, the fans are gonna find it no matter what.

• Brohoof 1