Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you popular, or do you wish you had some more friends?

Zerrodo

I've never been very popular, and I normally don't care. My train of thought for a long time has always been “They don't like you? Well, who needs them anyways.”, but within the last year or so, I've started to realize just how much I want people to like me, and how I badly want them to initiate conversation and to include me in their group discussions.

For some unapparent reason, people seem to find me odd in person. I can typically converse with adults pretty well, and they always talk about how fun I am to talk to, but with peers it's a whole different scenario. Then again, 70% of my peers aren't really my type, but if the other 30% would just reach out to me, I think it'd really brighten my mood towards school. I have two good friends in person at the moment that I talk with often, but lately even they seem turned off by my behavior. Coincidently, I also have two Internet friends that I talk with on a regular basis, which would be at a higher number if not for a dislike in a few of my other web-pals due to their rude behavior towards me as of late.

Basically, I've never been popular, and I've met few people I can actually relate to. What I need is a group of people who I can talk about similar hobbies with, people who won't leave me in the dust so they can go hang out with someone else. How do you guys feel about this? Are you popular? Do have many friends? Or do you have similar experiences as I?

• Brohoof 5

I have a few best friends that I've known since like first grade, and then a bunch of acquaintances. Nothing much in between, though.

I wouldn't say I'm good at making "friends", but I feel like I'm pretty good at getting to know people.

Overall, I'm happy with the number of friends I have. I couldn't give less of a crap about popularity, though.

(edited)

I think I am popular even though I stay hidden in the shadows because of my shyness. I prefer to usually stay away from the ''in-crowd'', because then it would result to me getting into trouble and being influenced to do whatever it takes to become popular. The only time I would wish to be popular is if I'm desperate.

But in reality, I don't really need more friends because I have enough friends.

Meaning, that I prefer to be alone instead of being with others.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 3

I have enough close friends, I don't feel the need to have hundreds of people that know me or be popular or whatever. I'm pretty much satisfied with the group of friends I have now, so yeah.

• Brohoof 1

I was popular through pretty much the second half of elementary school when I started to blossom a bit socially but things got a little complicated in middle school and ridiculously complicated in high school. It seems like at least in my personal experience in elementary school everyone wants to be your friend, in middle school fewer people want to be your friend and you run into more assholes and in high school with a few exceptions everyone is against you. After high school I didn't really have all that many opportunities for socialization for many different reasons but I have found popularity overrated anyway. It is the quality of the people you are with not the quantity that really counts, I have learned the hard way that there are people who will pretend to be your friend and then stab you in the back.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I wish I was popular, but not to sound like a douche, but a lot of the people I see everyday who are my age to one year younger are morons. Don't get me wrong, some are real bright and I'll like them a lot, but so many of them just care about talking about everyone else's lives and boys and blah.

Edited by Dismajo
  • Brohoof 4

I wouldn't say I'm popular per say, well known and generally liked yes, but not popular. Then again I'm not in school or anything like that.

I always just did what I felt was right and made sure to do right by others it seemed to work for me.

To be honest it sounds like your mature for your age which others in your school would find intimidating. Later when they grow up a bit they'll likely come to see that your actually a nice person.

My family moved alot when I was young, so I don't have any friends from before I was 17. Even now, I wouldn't consider anyone I know to be my "friend". I wish I had someone that I shared a significant amount of  intrests with, but I don't. It doesn't help that I am very introverted.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm not really that popular, but that's because it isn't really worth the effort. I have a very small handful of friends that I can put my absolute trust in and vice versa.

I used to be pretty popular back in grades 6-8 though because I was sort of the community fellow. My school was extremely small and a really close friend and I always opened the door for everyone in the morning each day. Doing that and greeting people for 3 years essentially allowed me to get to know every student and teacher by name.

Those were the good old days, I still keep in contact with that school and some of its faculty members... And then came high school...

Edited by Celtore

Since my school years ended, I haven't really made any new friends. I still mostly hang out with people I've known since elementary school.

Honestly though, I am more bothered by the fact that I've never really tried to make any online friends, even though I've spent a lot of my spare time on the internet for many many years.

I can't say I'm popular but I have friends from all high school grades(except freshman, I don't usually socialize with the under-class men) and whoever I'm not exactly friends with respect me a lot(although I do have one kid who I wouldn't hesitate to beat up right now). 5th-6th grade I was in the lowest of the lows. 7th grade I started to get some friends. 8th grade I was popular amongst the whole junior high building. 9th grade I had friends here and there and I had some mutual respect between some people. 10th grade- good amount of friends(upper-classmen included and one college freshman). So yeah, whether I'm popular depends on how you good people rate me in popularity based on what I have just said.

I'm not the most popular in school, but I'm pretty well-known, and friendly with the entire class. I try my best to be nice to everyone, because you never know who could end up being your new best friend, right?

I usually hang out with my new friends (they weren't in my   old school, but I've grown really close to them) and sometimes hang out with my old friends from elemaentary school, and they seem to be the more popular girls of the grade. So because of this, since I have all these 'connections', I would say that I'm not doing too badly social-wise.

I have a few best friends that I've known since like first grade, and then a bunch of acquaintances. Nothing much in between, though.

I wouldn't say I'm good at making "friends", but I feel like I'm pretty good at getting to know people.

Overall, I'm happy with the number of friends I have. I couldn't give less of a crap about popularity, though.

This is basically the same for me.  It almost like your living my life. :P

I talk to everyone and I know people very well and I get along with people in my grade very well, but i'm not invited to parties but I am kept in the loop of "drama" that the "popular" kids have.  It just never really appealed to me.  I find having a couple friends works out fine.  I don't find myself being lonely.  Now since I'm being shipped off to college things will be different though so I'm not sure how things will work out.    

Actually I despise popularity. All i need or want is just a couple of friends that i can trust completely.

Even so I'm not very social and wont talk for most of the day.

More than I was in high school. I was afraid of people and pretty much kept my head down. I had about 3-4 close friends. I was happy, though.

Now that I'm in college, I think I'm more popular. It's just a matter of stepping out of your comfort zone a bit. A lot of invitations are more open in college. Going places is often a matter of just asking if you can come along when someone is putting a group together.

I will admit that sometimes I still struggle with who is a friend and who is just an acquaintance, though, if you know what I mean.

I have 3 best friends and a few acquaintances. I'm great at playing nice and getting along, just not so good at actually making and keeping friends, mostly because my sense of humor tends to piss people off.

I'm not super popular, but I have a few close friends whom I've known for years. Most people, in my experience, are really not my type. In fact, the vast majority of my friends are either INTJs or INTPs, two of the rarest MBTI types. I'm naturally drawn toward intelligent, logical people. It makes finding friends difficult, but I easily form close relationships with any friends I do make. I prefer this to being popular, since I believe that a few close friends is better than many normal ones.

• Brohoof 1

I have never been popular my whole life, at school I'm completely invisible, I'd be surprised if anyone outside of my circle even knew my name. And to be frank I do enjoy it, a life that's under the radar for others. I can enjoy my life in peace and silence. Besides my family, my friends are all I need.

Though sometimes I do yearn for some more popularity, perhaps then I might have an easier time getting into a relationship. Besides that I would love to be heard and talk some common sense into my fellow classmates and others. But besides those 2 minor reasons I do not find any interest in being popular at all. I have my a bunch of friends offline and I have a bunch of friends online. There isn't anything I need besides that and my peace.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I honestly don't feel as though I have any close friends at all, infact most of the people I hang around I only consider aquaintences really, they don't fit my description of a friend.

Am I popular however is a bit of a different story. I was homeschooled until I went into 8th grade, which was last school year basically my first year in public school, and because of that a lot of people in my grade know me.

Now whether they all like me idk, I'm normally quiet, although I tend to be kind and helpful when I can be. I think the most socialable I am is with band people, and everyone knows everyone in band basically, they all seem to like me more or less. 

I'm actually quite spirited in band, and I write in the band facebook page some little "speeches" as they have been called, so I actually have been nominated for most spirited in band this year.(not sure if I'm gonna get it or not) so I guess some people most like me.

However I still feel as though I lack anyone whos a true caring friend. Being popular doesn't matter a whole lot to me really, I'd rather just have some close friends. I don't exactly like to be hated, but I don't need to be known by everyone.

I think the saying or quote or whatever about rather having 4 quarters then 100 pennies.

True friends are rare and invaluable, its even harder to befriend people for me now since so many people have known each other since like 1 grade, and I'm just like... Well i've only been here a year or whatever.. :/.

Edited by Zygen

(edited)

Well, in Middle School, I was bullied pretty badly for being too smart, and for not acting 'cool'. So I learned. I taught myself how to be cool, not act 'too smart', how to manipulate those around me, and I developed a silver tongue for telling people what they want to hear. This, combined with a growth spurt that allowed me to jump from the JV benchwarmer to Varsity co-captain of my school's soccer team cemented me as one of the most popular people at my school. I get all the party invitations, I have friends to hang out with every weekend and weekday night, I have plenty of options for dating, etc. And you know what? Its all worthless. Popularity is a scam, an artificial thing you're told you want to be. I know plenty of unpopular people, many of whom my friends and I bully, who are much happier than we will be as long as we obsess over popularity/image. Believe me, when my friends talk drunk, I hear how unfulfilled they feel. I'm the same way. I feel unfulfilled, and I know I conned my way up the social ladder, and that I'm a sham. It isn't worth it. Find yourself friends who like you for YOU, not for what you're supposed to be. 

Edited by Windy Runner
  • Brohoof 3

I have two very close friends who are in different parts of the world I chat with them through steam and have known them for a long time. I wouldn't say I'm a very popular person because I prefer to be alone most of the time. I'd probably like to have more friends though :)

(edited)

My social status is quite null. Technically speaking socializing is not my thing. On the friendship side of things, I would say that I have a lot of acquaintances, but I am not sure if I would call them friends. You see a concern of mine is being stuck in a one-sided relationship and I would hate to think that someone also thinks of me as a friend only to find out I was wrong in a negative way. Paranoia also seems to set in with me at times, I could not tell if they kept me around because I was liked by them or because they were too polite to tell me to leave. This is referring to my age group peers anyway, I do know a couple people I would most likely call friends without having to doubt it.

I do not think I would necessarily want to be popular (at least in some senses, not sure about others) in the sense I believe we are referring to in this thread. I am quite introverted and shy and don't think I would like that kind of attention. Besides it would seem to me that to get that popular I would have to essentially sell out my personality and wear a "mask" so to speak, if I ever have friends then I want them to accept me for me and not some act I put on in public.

Edited by The Oneiromancer
  • Brohoof 1

I'm known by near everyone, but what I do and who I am is not. Which I am honestly, okay with. I prefer to stick in the shadows for now. Besides, I've seen what popular/well known kids do, and I'd rather stay out of it.

• Brohoof 1

I am not popular at all and i don't really care.I've never been popular really,im too shy to talk to people,but theres a part of me who wants more friends.

Meh, I have two friends and a few classmates that like me. TBH, I kinda hate people. I don't mean to sound like a douche, I just don't like people.