Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I had a sudden thought and I'm not sure if it had already been discussed. In Gen5, when all magic had left the 3 pony races, who was rising the moon and sun????? This is something I know that Gen5 must bring up if they ever touch upon the past of Gen4 where, it was Celestia and Luna who rose the moon and lowered the sun. After them Twilight took the job over, and before them Starswirl and a group of Unicorns (fact by Celestia not correcting the play about it) were doing it.

So, in order for the sun and moon to rotate I can only think of two possibilities.  Either something happened that allowed them to rotate on their own (was a theory that Discord broke them, so maybe he fixed them?) or someone out there, far away from the ponies, is still moving them.

What do you guys think? Thanks for reading and please share your thoughts. ^^

• Brohoof 1

Ah, the never ending discussing that is ponies and their physics.

I lean towards Fallout Equestria's explanation of the Sun and Moon being fully capable of regular orbit given enough time for gravity to start acting upon them again.

Celestia and Luna had the means to control them but generally just kept them on a very tight schedule as a means of maintaining order.

If Celestia and Luna were to have disappeared without passing this ability or role to anyone else, I think the two bodies would remain tideally locked with the potential for one side to bake and the other chill, but to what extent I can't say for certain.

Perhaps the loss of magic was gradual enough for them to break their synchronization and be more closely aligned with our own system.

I wouldn't blame  G5 if it didn't explain it at all, or just gave a really strange explanation. That's on G4 for not really giving a clear idea as to why unicorns/alicorns have to raise the moon and sun, and why pegusai literally produce clouds in a factory. I mean they literally have to put lightening in a bottle. 

It's a possibility that their Earth is tidally locked, but it also doesn't spin or rotate. So it must have a geocentric model. Because of that my guess is maybe someone punished the ponies and gave them duties of taking care of their own land. And now that magic is gone, the spell is broken. Or maybe no spell was originally casted and however took their magic (or whatever happened to it) did something to their planet non-existent cycle.