Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

who is raising and lowering the sun and moon in gen 5

floofy flyer

My assumption is that, at some point in the gap between G4 and G5, the process has been automated somehow. Remember that Celestia and Luna were able to create a device for Twilight to manage it before their retirement.

4 hours ago, Splashee said:

There is no sun of moon. 

My headcanon is there isn't a sun/moon in Equestria, or at least not in the same manner as what we have in our world.  There is a "sun"/"moon", and they are places that a pony or other creature can be banished to, but they don't function in quite the same way.  So much craziness goes on in FiM with the sun/moon cycle being halted, tampered with, or otherwise altered in ways that should have wiped out all life in Equestria multiple times over, and we never so much as saw the tides get messed up.  Heck, they should not be raised and lowered manually, because that's not how it works in our world.  My conclusion is they really only affect the light on the planet.

All that said, I'm going to assume either somecreature else took over the sun/moon cycle (maybe with the Staff of Sacanas?), or as PoisonClaw suggests, the process got automated somehow.  

Oh, and see PawelS's post for the appearance of the sun/moon in the new film.  

• Brohoof 2

My guess is that something about the natural world changed so now the sun and moon move on their own. Star Swirl and his fellow unicorns moved the sun and moon before Celestia and Luna took over. But who did it first? Could there have been a time when nobody needed to and nature itself took care of the day-night cycle? Perhaps something happened to restore this natural rhythm after the ancient alicorns were gone. Maybe it was some incredibly powerful spell that wasn't negated by the disharmony in Equestria.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 1