Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E18 - On Your Cutie Marks

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: On Your Cutie Marks
Release Date: July 14, 2022
Written By: Ryan Denham
Synopsis: Sunny learns that being a leader is more difficult than she thinks.

• Brohoof 4

Sunny learned something that Twilight herself had to go through... Learning how to be a leader. It's not an easy job and there are a lot of obstacles that can get in the way but it's one that's well worth it if you see it through to the end.

Also, Alphabittle is here and with a speaking role. I had a feeling Phil LaMarr may have been too expensive or unavailable or something else entirely. Oh well. It is what it is.

• Brohoof 4

As usual, another awesome episode of Tell Your Tale! This was a really heartwarming episode too with Sunny figuring out how to be a leader with her new Alicorn abilities and how difficult it can be. But my favorite part was seeing everypony working together in the end as one and it was so wonderful.

Alphabittle came back too!

• Brohoof 5

This was a fun episode. Nice to see Alphabittle and in a speaking role.  Fun to see Hitch using Earth Pony Magic, was getting a little worried he'd have been limited to just animal speak. It was creative to see how well the combination of their magics work in sport events.

Being a leader is difficult without the help of others, a good lesson for our budding Alicorn. I'd have liked another episode to set this one up, Equestria Games kinda came out of nowhere and with Sunny being the one running it.

I'm a little afraid how fragile they're making the Unity Crystal's. It's like they're the new Wendigos. "Get along or lose your magic." Hope that gets built on more.

• Brohoof 2

That was actually a really good ep! Again, nothing new has been covered, but also again the execution was pretty much spot on! Have Haven and Alphabittle there was a nice touch; tho it makes me wonder about who actually leads Maretime Bay!

Regardless; great stuff and it was about time Sunny got another episode to grow!

• Brohoof 2

The most noteworthy thing from this episode to me was the revelation that Rocky is a pegasus.  All this time I thought he was just an earth pony wearing fake wings.  I'm not the only one who thought that, right?

• Brohoof 1

Oh that was a real good one!

It seems like everypony was there! Even Alphabittle, finally!

And Gloomy Sonnet was there too! But she had a dye job for some reason. I wonder why they changed her color, I thought she was supposed to be somepony else at first, to be honest.

And this gif.

2907374.gif

• Brohoof 3

Loved finally seeing Alphabrittle again!!!

honestly such a cute episode overall!!

(I found me some more Pipp screencaps and gifs for the folder once I get home ;) ) 

• Brohoof 3

Love how the thumbnail had me thinking the episode would be about Izzy and Zipp competing and instead, it's all of Equestria. Even as the "everyone wins" thing has been done before and I'm surprised no one in the crowd called for sudden death, Izzy's end line was still funny. The whole episode was sprinkled with decent bits of humor, I liked seeing Thunder again in a gag, and of course, Alphabittle finally getting to talk was cool. 

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

Even though I'm not a fan of "everybody  wins", the episode was cute regardless. 

I'm not sure "everybody cheats" would have been the best moral. :mustache:

Something tells me the CMC had some say in the making of the unity crystals, given a spirit of competition is enough to turn off magic, but as long as A Unicorn, A Pegasus, and A Earth Pony are working together, magic will stay on

• Brohoof 1

My take:  it was a good episode.  They've had better ones than this, but overall it was good---maybe even great!

Other posters have been focusing on Alphabittle's and Haven's speech to Sunny; I probably should've remembered that more than I did.  It was good, and a good part of character development for Sunny.

• Brohoof 1

This is probably one of the better episodes of TYT. While its premise is simple, it works in this scenario. Plus, it is cool to see the Equestria games being brought back. Though it seems like Sunny missed out on some key detail about the old Equestrian games, such as the teams being based off of cities. Also, in G4, games such as volleyball, boat racing, and relay didn't allow for magic to be used whereas here it is allowed. That aspect definitely makes the competitions different. That being said, the complete cop out of everybody winning was a lame way to finish the episode. Still, this is a solid episode compared the the rest of TYT.

A non episode specific detail that I noticed was the heavy usage of Earth Pony magic. While it is cool to see this new type of magic in action, it does raise some concerns. One of which being, what is the limit to these powers. So far it doesn't seem like there is really a cap to how these powers can be used, which could cause them to just be whatever the writer require for the plot. This became an issue towards the end of FiM when it came to unicorn magic. While it isn't necessary for the writers to fully develop these things due to the target audience likely not caring about it, it would still be nice to flesh out Equestria's magic. For instance, G5 still hasn't brought back the pegasi's ability to control the weather yet. Hopefully these things can be developed in the MYM series. Also, the concept of magic going away anytime some ponies have an argument continues to be a terrible idea. It really makes pony magic seem weak, and it also friendship seemed forced rather than natural. The world-building aspect of G5 is not very good as of now. 

• Brohoof 1

Hot take here, but very little about this episode is original.  In fact, parts of it seem to retread ground from the Netflix special, while others seem like it's trying too hard to reference FiM.  Heck, it kind of reinforces the notion that Sunny is a poor man's Twilight.  Still, I think the episode is alright overall.  I do like that Alphabittle and Queen Haven got some more screen time than usual.  However, with each passing episode, the prospect of this series ever matching the greatness of FiM seems to dwindle.  With that said, as long as this series doesn't dip back into the cringe of certain past episodes, and calls as little attention as possible to its alleged FiM roots, I'm ok with it.  I'm still probably only going to keep up with this series until the extended MYM series disappoints me, but I'll stick with it for now.  

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Alpabittle is the leader of the Unicorns!! I called it. I didn't like the 'everyone wins' thing, but it was really funny to say the least! It could really use some improvement though, to be honest. Maybe the ponies being on seperate teams for races, but with solid rules?

• Brohoof 1