Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Classic vs modern which do you prefer?

Reiki Knight 13

Classic tv/movies vs modern tv/movies  

9 users have voted

1. 1. Which is better to you classic media or modern media?

• Classic is better: better acting, writing etc
    • Modern at least I don't have to half assed film effects.

When it comes to movies or shows which one do you think is better the older style of movies and shows in which they focused more on actors, script and usually tried to go more for practical effects OR do you prefer more modern movies and shows where the effects are better?

Now what era is classic and what is modern?

Classic we will define as 60's to early 90's where there was either no CGI effects or they were in the very early stages and not very well developed yet. Modern is of course 2000's +

• Brohoof 1

Older stuff is almost always better. They just churn out too much garbage these days that nobody cares about beyond turning a profit. Of course everybody's always wanted to make money but there was a time when people had a story they wanted to tell and took a chance at something new and interesting and that might *gasp* offend somebody who's easily offended! And then they would bitch about it on social media! Wouldn't that be the end of the world???

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Fluttershutter said:

Older stuff is almost always better. They just churn out too much garbage these days that nobody cares about beyond turning a profit. Of course everybody's always wanted to make money but there was a time when people had a story they wanted to tell and took a chance at something new and interesting and that might *gasp* offend somebody who's easily offended! And then they would bitch about it on social media! Wouldn't that be the end of the world???

Agreed, I'm watching mission impossible, the nutty professor, the wicker man etc and these originals are so much better in overall quality.

• Brohoof 2

I would rather watch an old movie where you can see it is an actor in a suit versus any modern movie. The super hero movies are awful. The live action parts are boring, the costumes look silly, and the cgi parts look like video games. :yuck:

8 hours ago, Star heart 777 said:

mission impossible, the nutty professor, the wicker man etc and these originals are so much better in overall quality.

1960s and 1970s, classic. I dip into those eras a bit.

34 minutes ago, Patriotic Brony 42 said:

I would rather watch an old movie where you can see it is an actor in a suit versus any modern movie. The super hero movies are awful. The live action parts are boring, the costumes look silly, and the cgi parts look like video games. :yuck:

1960s and 1970s, classic. I dip into those eras a bit.

Pluto tv, film rise, fawsome tv.abd Tubi have some of the best classics 

• Brohoof 1

i think the older things is mostly going to be better than the new, because i think thats just how humans work, especially if they grew up with it.

in sonic terms though i like modern a bit more..he controls better, lol

I'll go with the cop out answer and say I like both. Since there's good and bad shows/movies in every era. But I will say that the classic era kind of has an advantage because, let's face it, we don't really remember the bad movies or shows from that era like we do with current stuff. Which kind of gives off the illusion that everything from say the pre-2000s was amazing and not as derivative or cliche. When in reality we just... don't remember or watch the stuff that sucked from that era, it's been lost to time.

• Brohoof 2

23 minutes ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

I'll go with the cop out answer and say I like both. Since there's good and bad shows/movies in every era. But I will say that the classic era kind of has an advantage because, let's face it, we don't really remember the bad movies or shows from that era like we do with current stuff. Which kind of gives off the illusion that everything from say the pre-2000s was amazing and not as derivative or cliche. When in reality we just... don't remember or watch the stuff that sucked from that era, it's been lost to time.

Oh no trust me some failures of those eras are not forgotten. I mean some of those early Batman movies were beyond over the top bad.

Batman forever and Batman and Robin yeah those were some movies you can bet the actors didn't live down for a long time.

And for great practical effects or sound effect geniusly or  accidentally created that we love there are at least 15 cheap imitations and another 10 godawful ones we loathe to the side of the one we love.

And in terms of remakes for batman begins that truly do a great job of remaking an older movie there are other remakes that basically crap all over the original movie. 

So yeah you're the classic isn't always as golden as we think. 

To me early 2000's is about the best movies have gotten really. There are some good ones here or there but not many that are good 

Tv shows are different story as we have had quite a few good modern ones come out though.

• Brohoof 1

34 minutes ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

Absolutely. Good media will always be good no matter the decade it was created in. And sometimes, there are shows that are originally failures but years down the line, turns out people changed their minds and actually do like it. There will always be a good show that gets copies, or the copy that becomes *the* show. The ones that people remember will be the one people will always buy merchandise for and suits will market heavily. Yes, even the one(s) you hold near and dear to your heart has some form of copycat-ism and malicious marketing that is seen today. It was just harder to expose any of that marketing like it is today where the internet has seriously changed the landscape for everything.

Though I don't watch much TV and movies, I like both moderns and classics mostly because of behind the scenes and the weird stuff they needed to do with their limitations and allocated budgets. And I also love what they can do today. For the creatives, it's awesome! Keep at it folks!

However, what I don't like is suits with no talent or care coming into every industry and ruining everything. There are lots of indie media that exist too folks. You're no longer forced to only engage with media from the big boys. Let them burn their money marketing stuff, they've done it in the past and they'll keep doing it regardless if it's a bad work they're trying to push or it's actually pretty good and they want to see how much and how long they can squeeze it for.

25 minutes ago, Star heart 777 said:

Oh no trust me some failures of those eras are not forgotten.

Every decade has some failure that stood out so much that people will never let it down. Or, if it failed quietly someone on the internet today will say "Hey, remember when...." and it becomes a meme for everyone to laugh at because it's so laughably bad for one reason or another.

• Brohoof 1

Both eras have their good points and their bad points. If I had to pick, I'd probably say classic. I can't wrap my head around a lot of newer films/shows in comparison to some older ones, but that might just be more of a me thing. If we included animation, then it would be a completely different story, but that's a separate discussion. :p

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Cash In said:

Both eras have their good points and their bad points. If I had to pick, I'd probably say classic. I can't wrap my head around a lot of newer films/shows in comparison to some older ones, but that might just be more of a me thing. If we included animation, then it would be a completely different story, but that's a separate discussion. :p

What makes you think animation isn't included in this? ANNNY film or tv show. Animation is both tv shows and movies films as well. 

Unless you've been watching it in another way lol 

12 hours ago, Star heart 777 said:

What makes you think animation isn't included in this? ANNNY film or tv show. Animation is both tv shows and movies films as well. 

Unless you've been watching it in another way lol 

I may have misunderstood the thread. :p

In that case, I prefer modern. Animation is mainly what I watch and most of my personal favourites are from the late 90s and 2000s.

Looking at things like the original Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones trilogy, Aliens, Terminator, today's movies are awful.

A while ago Conan the Barbarian was in theaters for it's fortieth anniversary so I went to see that. I've never seen it before so it's not a nostalgia thing but it was a really great, entertaining movie. It was a very simple story with action and adventure and didn't need to be politically correct. It just made me realize how much better movies were back then and I definitely wouldn't even call that one of the best movies ever.

I also saw Morbius when it was in the theater. It was advertised as a badass vampire superhero movie. It was incredibly stupid and pointless. Then I thought of the Blade trilogy so I bought that and watched it again. It was SO freaking cool! Blood and violence and plenty of swearing that Disney would never do that fits the character perfectly.

• Brohoof 1

Classic:
-Pacing in the storying telling
-Good old action
-Slapstick type of humor
-U.S.A cartoons from the 80's to 90's that had good stories and art and style
-Took on issues more openly that hit home better at times
-Good old action flicks with no C.G at times

Modern
-More anime to watch and get
-C.G has opened a lot of doors to storytelling
-Fewer animals being used in movies and a chance of getting hurt
-A more open flow of movies and shows from other nations
-More flow of info to be used for storytelling
-Internet
-Some ppl willing to take bigger chances on a movie or show with streaming now a thing

Bad on both in a mixed bag
-Hollywood just keeps remaking the same old things without trying something new at times (Leave Lord of the Rings alone, at least the movies.....)
-Less it seems actors are trying to push themselves when it comes to roles at times
-Writers not being paid for their time and lively hoods even with new content being pushed out at such a face paced level
-Western cartoons have gone downhill minus a few that have stood out in the last 10 years.
-Laziness 
-Pacing in much of some movies is like to slow and drawn out or they try to cram way to much all at once in a movie.

I prefer classic by far. Without a good script, acting performance, direction and editing there IS no movie. Practical effects, while less polished are infinitely better because life isn’t polished. CG effects are too smooth and even though they can be very impressive, they lack a certain reality that makes practical effects so, well, effective.

Modern movies rely on an overabundance of special effects to sell a movie strictly on the visuals and at the cost of good script writing. Direction has taken a step down because it’s all about gimmicks like bullet-time, fast cutting, shaky camera, etc, which only serve to make a movie harder to follow in the thinking that, when in doubt, if you can’t make a movie good, make it confusing. Actors are less impressive now and most movies have forgotten the meaning of star power; opting instead for actors that look like they were hired at random from the food court at the local mall. There’s no glamour, no attractiveness, no charisma.

And modern movies are universally over-long. Good editing keeps the pace moving without losing story. But modern filmmakers seem to think every frame is sold gold and it just ain’t so. And as long as Hollywood has a woke checklist that filmmakers MUST conform to in ordeer to have their films released, art will die in favor of politics. Already countless movies that had potential for greatness have been shot down in flames by board rooms and their agendas. Classic movies are not encumbered by such nonsense. 

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna have to go with both.

Each has their strengths. Each has their weaknesses. Each has something to learn from the many eras that came before.

But the best thing is that rare moment when you see modern stuff improve the old stuff without changing or replacing it. :coco: A classic example is when the original Star Trek TV show was remastered for DVD and Bluray, where the special effects were improved to be more like what they had always intended. (Though, hopefully they made it optional to see the show in its original broadcast format as well. I never got a chance to buy it.) Or when an old black and white movie is colorized without being too intense. (Seriously, where did they get the color guides for that stuff?) When Gokaiger aired in Japan, it was so awesome to not only see vintage super heroes get their homage, but also to see the special effects around their attacks and such improved over the very limited way they did it many decades ago. Stuff like that really shows how far the industry has come.

Though, nothing beats practical effects, or gripping story telling. Build on a solid base, then carefully add the CGI and what not, within reason. B) It's an art, and art is seldom perfect. But when they nail it... (Chef's kiss)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally disagree with the way the poll is worded. 

The reason is: there is old media for example with terrible story or special effects that aged exceptionally well. Sure, they don't come close to modern, high budget productions like Avatar, but considering technological limitations of their era they still look amazing. 

On the other hand there are modern movies that have amazing, captivating writing, also modern cinema doesn't always have good special effects. In fact some CGI ridden movies are painful to watch with Revenge of the sith being a good example. CGI there aged VERY poorly. 

Personally, because of what's said above I don't have a preference. It is more of "is this, specific media enjoyable for me" than downright picking which type of media is better. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Sir Hugsalot said:

I personally disagree with the way the poll is worded. 

The reason is: there is old media for example with terrible story or special effects that aged exceptionally well. Sure, they don't come close to modern, high budget productions like Avatar, but considering technological limitations of their era they still look amazing. 

On the other hand there are modern movies that have amazing, captivating writing, also modern cinema doesn't always have good special effects. In fact some CGI ridden movies are painful to watch with Revenge of the sith being a good example. CGI there aged VERY poorly. 

Personally, because of what's said above I don't have a preference. It is more of "is this, specific media enjoyable for me" than downright picking which type of media is better. 

To be fair here the range for "classic" is HUGE From the start of films 1920 to  around 2000's range and ending around  just before 2010.