Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you prefer G5 to be 3D or 2D?

mlpbronyyyy

3d looks alright to me, tell your tale designs are... okay. I don't think they're too bad but I'm not a super big fan of them either.

I normally like 2D better, but I really think that 3D suits G5 more. The cheap look of TYT is something I got used to, but I'm a lot more invested in the look of MYM with how it stays faithful to the movie's look despite the understandable downgrade.  

• Brohoof 1

I think the 3D artstyle suits G5 just fine. I mean G5-to-G4 is cute, but it doesn't feel the same, and while I don't think the 2D G5 artstyles are bad, they don't have the magic the 3D has

They both have their good and bad points.

At first I wasn't happy when I heard that the generation 5 movie was going to be 3D but I loved the look of it and the Make Your Mark series. I would say that I've come to like 3D more than the 2D for gen 5, which makes me sad that the future of Make Your Mark is looking uncertain. :scoota-sad:

• Hugs 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I think that 3D will be better, but the current variation of 3D (drawing itself) in G5 does not look very nice and is rather unsuccessful. Some emotions in such a drawing are difficult to express, and the pony's appearance leaves much to be desired, and this is very important.
2D at G4 looks many times better.

We need to rework the graphics and art, then 3D will look great, I'm sure of it.

Edited by Kantet

• 3 weeks later...

I actually prefer the Tell your Tale animation over the Make your Mark animation, while it's not the worst CGI animation in the world it doesn't live up to the original A New Generation animation at all.

On a side note, on an old poll on Equestria Daily, CGI was the least voted whereas most people here prefer the CGI over the Tell your Tale animation, interesting how opinions change so quickly.

image.png.2405994a305900f312bce6d5846225d2.png

Edited by Theautisticrebel

I don't mind CGI if it is done well like it was in MLP a new generation or most Pixar movies. However cheap CGI looks really bad in my opinion, and the downgrade for Make your Mark falls into this category. I think if you don't have the budget to make your art style look good then you should change the art style like how Tell your Tail was. 

I guess it true that I have a bias towards 2D just because all the animation I grew up with was 2D. So maybe I'm just a grumpy old guy.:wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...