Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Scootaloo's Family?

Lord Pretty Pie

They probly havent had time to cover Scoot's backstory. Would be nice...I mean...we just NOW saw Dash's dad...but he could very well have been a brother or uncle. So we never truely know there either.

And does Fluttershy not mentioning her family make her an orphan?

I had a head canon that Fluttershy was raised by just her mother or female family member while Dash was rasied by a male guardian, which is why she seems so much like a tomboy.

Anyway, back to Scoots.

I would be fine with her being parentless and living with foster care or something. That on top of the handicapped Lauren mentioned would make good moral episodes. It's life and kids should learn that others dont have a mom and dad, or cant do things others can.

Im hoping season 4 sheads light on these subjects using little Scoots as the focal point.

Well it's too early to say I she is an Orphan or not.

I mean we didn't see or hear mention of any of Rainbow's relatives until late season 3.

It may be possible that Scoot may hav parents or a guardian, but not shown.

However If she does turn out to be an orphan it would be a good episode if they do it right. Now if they do it well the show can talk about this topic.

I hold with the orphan theory.  The omissions seem too intentional by now for me to accept any other explanation.  If her father was in the Equestrian military, I would've expected to see her show some interest in the guards that have visited Ponyville, or seen her play at being a soldier, *some* clue to point that way.

They could always invent family for her at any point and claim they had always been around, but I suspect at least up to now that it's a 'thing' with the writers that Scoots is an orphan and they'll keep it up until directly ordered otherwise.  You'll notice the other CMCs aren't at all curious about where Scootaloo lives or who her parents are, so whatever her situation is, it's common knowledge.  ...Either that, or they just take a lot for granted!

I'm not a fan of Scootaloo, but I do like her. And even if she's homeless, maybe she can lived with Rainbow Dash and I think they are the true sisterhoods.

I wonder if the studio will make a new episode for the new season this fall. A episode about Scootaloo has no family all along and her friends ask Rainbow Dash to lived with her. Good idea or not? Maybe I should wrote this episode as a fan script :D

I don't think they intended it to be that way, but to be honest, I kind of like the idea. I read fanfictions and things like that on the subject. However, I'm not opposed to Scootaloo's parents existing, either.

just the fact that we have not seen her parents or home yet doesn't immediately mean she doesn't have any of the above. for instance: whe do not know where Pinkemina D. Pie lives and whe also don't know much about Rainbow Dash' parents either.

I would however love to see that the creators of the show also put these aspects of life in the show. because this is not exactly the common serie (and they already managed to put some other heavy topics into the show *that's what makes it a great show*).

actually we do (: she live's in sugarcube corner the cakes are a parent figure to her and before she lived in a rock farm ...which I find deeper and sadder than homless sootaloo :P

This show is too light and fluffy (fuwa fuwa time! K-ON reference) to have a subject as grave as homelessness affect such a young character. She probably has a normal home life with parents or in the very least guardians. We just haven't seen it yet.

I know I'm late for this reply, but too light and fluffy?!?

They actually showed a shot of a funeral, a pony with cancer (or a balding problem XD), Fluttershy's description of a dragon, thievery of little baby Phoenixes, insanity, swarms of love sucking changelings, and many more.

Now how can something like this be too light and fluffy? XD 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

Now forgive me, as I haven't watched the show enough to remember dialog or anything. But I am writing a fan fic for my friend, and it's based around Scootaloo. It's written in the form of a journal, but I'm having difficulties on what my creativity can let out, versus real objective facts about the show. And one thing that striked me as odd is that Scootaloo appears to have no home, no family, and only a handful of friends, yet her attitude reflect differently. Is there something I've missed out, or is there really a sad back story to Scootaloo's character. Any fans who have watched the show and can provide some insight on this, please say something. I'm stuck and I want to write more. 

I'm gonna keep it simple, and just say that everything hasn't been explained yet. There has to be a future episode where we see her parents/home. It could be she is just very active and rarely goes home since she probably hangs out with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle alot. Most people have these crazy, deep theories about her, her parents, and Rainbow, but sometimes, it's just good to be simplistic especially with a show like this.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't think she's homeless, but how we haven't seen any sign of her family and how she grasps to Rainbow for any sort of family figure makes me think that she either has to be an orphan and lives at an orphanage or has a really bad home life. If she does have parents I suspect they are away a lot or they just aren't very supportive so she isn't very close to them. I doubt she actually is homeless though, a lot of children without parents are picked up by orphanages fairly quickly rather than being left on the streets.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 4

I'm sure the next season will go further into Scootaloos character, but for the sake of temporality, that hasn't happened yet. So healthy speculation is accepted in my eyes as a writer. But all in all I think most people have the same ideas. She has abandonment issues,and could possibly be homeless. I will write more then one story line and pick out which one fancys me more. But thanks guys, I only really needed a few posts. More will be appreciated so I can make tweeks to the storyline :) 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Philosophy Pony

Cool, let me know when you are done writing, I would be happy to edit or pre-read for you. Or at least help you pick out which one works better.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like healthy speculation as much as the next pony, but I just don't see the whole "abandonment" angle. It just doesn't seem like something that would be in MLP. While MLP has touched on sad stories now and then, I just feel like that'd be a little dark for it.

The way I see it, Scoot hangs out with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, both of whom have a big sister that they love dearly, and Scoot is naturally going to feel left out (as Rainbow Dash did with pets), so in admiring and following Rainbow, she has a big sister figure that she always wanted.

That doesn't necessarily mean that she's homeless, or abandoned, or an orphan. I honestly feel this can be taken at face-value that Scootaloo's family just wasn't deemed interesting enough for the show to warrant spending any time on. Obviously the fans are interested, but the writers apparently feel that's time better spent on other stuff. The other CMC's families are members of the Mane 6, so naturally they get plenty of screentime, but Scoot's isn't, so they're not really gonna bother with her family any more then they are with, say, Silver Spoon's or Snips/Snails, or even Fluttershy (whose parent(s) still haven't been shown).

That said, I do reckon that maybe we'll get a cameo or something of Scoot's mum or dad (or both) but they're likely going to be background characters whose only purpose is to say "Yes, Scootaloo does in fact have a family" and nothing more.

Now I could very well be wrong, but I'm calling it the way I personally see it. HOWEVER that being said, in the context of fanfiction, yeah I can totally see people following that sort of story line and making a cool fic out of it.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 2

I think Lauren said that she wasn't but i would like to think she was.

In fanfiction i feel she is always portrayed best as an Orphan or homeless in fact i could easily recommend a perfect fiction which involves scootaloo alot and it's very long.

Scootaloo the Fugitive - http://www.fimfiction.net/story/82484/scootaloo-the-fugitive

CB

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Gigapony

ahhh, very good perspective.

That was the initial problem I had here, and considering the themes represented in the show, I didn't want to make a quick conclusion as what to write. But I never considered the background character idea you've presented, it's very obvious to me now ^.^

Edited by Philosophy Pony

Well when she invited Rainbow Dash to the Mare Do Well thank you thing, there were two people waiting for her whom I assume are Scoot's parents. She must be an only child and that's why she wants to think of Dash as her big sister. But yes, hopefully Season 4 will give us more details on her family life and things like that. We'll probably get to see Fluttershy's parents too. They're the only ones we haven't seen yet since it's been implyed by many that AJ'S parents died.

But then again it is Fan FICTION do what you want. Obviously things like Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes aren't canon so you can just play with Scoots the way you want. Unleash your imagination as Fanfiction.net says. Hopefully your story turns out great!!

• Brohoof 1

@TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

Of course ^.^ I do like sharing my work, and harsh but rational criticism is always what I crave. I can pin point my strengths and weaknesses and build on them. I'll keep everypony posted on how it comes out smile.png

Well harsh but rational criticism is what I'm good at. I didn't become the head editor of my local newspaper at 14 years old for nothing. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Scootaloo is most likely not homeless, even though there is no proof to confirm this. Lauren Faust hasn't even included her parents or family yet, except showing a relationship with Rainbow Dash.

(edited)

I don't think she is homeless. I think the reason we haven't seen her family is simply that she isn't related to a member of the mane 6 so we haven't had a reason to see her family just yet (No properly Scootaloo centric episode besides the nightmare one). I think she just has busy parents and no siblings and as the other CMC's have older sisters she looks to Rainbow Dash to fill that role in her life (Especially as Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom have such strong bonds with their sisters and she feels left out).

Edited by Ion

I doubt she's homeless but she could be an orphan. I'm only saying that because she's  just there without anyone that's close to her. Even in Sleepless in Ponyville we've not seen a glimpse of her parents which would've been a good time to show them ,but we didn't nor did we see where she lived or anything.

It's most likely she's an orphan.

I doubt the show would do something so dark, but it would be an interesting turn. Honestly, I find the idea of Scootaloo living out the CMC clubhouse really depressing and heartbreaking. Hopefully we will learn more about her in season 4. I think Scootaloo being an orphan is more likely than her being homeless. It would explain a lot.

I don't like this whole "We don't see anything so assume the worst" mentality. We don't need everything about the character to be depressing. She probably does have a home and does have loving parents. She's probably an only child and she happens to admire Rainbow Dash 

(edited)

Hmm, according to the MLP wikipedia, she is the sister of Cheerilee, so I don't think Scootaloo is homeless, because wouldn't that mean they're both homeless?

Edited by t3hzb0t
  • Brohoof 1