Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who really IS Scootaloo?

Scootadress

Bored out my mind one day, I decided to dissect the episodes and each meaning behind the episodes, when a strange realization really hit me. Who is Scootaloo, really, other than what Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and the Mane 6 see? When I look upon the beginning, I can see her huddling with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle despite them not really knowing eachother. Why was she even there alone without anyone there to really watch her? Apple Jack, despite leaving, was there for Apple Bloom, and I'm assuming Big Mac was too (despite not shown) and Sweetie Belle had Rarity, and I'm assuming her parents. (who weren't shown either) 

In "Call of the Cutie", she wasn't in the class along with Sweetie, but maybe technical error I guess? The chances of them moving in, at the same time, and being switched to that class, would be strange. {Think about it:Rainbow Dash knew of Scootaloo as well as the rest of the cast before a huge introduction. Sweetie Belle is the same.} But, this would be possible due to the next question: Why were they their if Scootaloo and Sweetie didn't know Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon? Diamond didn't understand why they were sticking up for her, but she would have easily known because they were cutie markless if they known earlier. In the same episode, you can get the feeling Sweetie Belle knew Scootaloo and they had a bond even though Apple Bloom knew neither. I would guess that Scootaloo helped her with something before meeting Apple Bloom that could be explained in an episode. 

*seriously hopes for a back story that involves how she met Sweetie Belle* I picture one that sounds like Transcendence (the fanfiction) where someone bullied Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo saved her, despite being much smaller than the bully. 

Stare Master really put the group in action, but also ruled out any past with Fluttershy being a sibling. Scootaloo came along with it, but there were no real signs of her being sisters with Fluttershy other then the colors and the attitudes that clashed. People pointed that Fluttershy looks like Scootaloo "color wise", meaning, they have different versions of the same color palette, and there for must be siblings. Or, at least, have a strained relationship. This was shut down by the interaction, despite having barely any dialogue. {She lacks lots of this and also gets continual errors when drawn.}

The Show Stoppers it was implied she could dance and do...scootering...well. Does this make it her talent? I can't say, but it sounds like she's been taught certain things from ponies. This could imply that her family is in the music industry. As for Scootering...I doubt this is her real talent. It would be a waste to give SCOOTERS as her talent when they rarely mean something so blunt. {Cheerilee, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, etc. have implied marks, which would explain when the switch up happened, they couldn't understand the marks. Pinkie's isn't for partying, Rarity's isn't simply a fashion designer, Cheerilee's isn't simply for teaching, etc.} This also show's how important Rainbow Dash really is to Scootaloo. I don't see why she was there other than to support Scootaloo, but this wouldn't explain where her family was. Rarity is with Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom with Apple Jack, but no relative is with Scootaloo? Sounds rather strange. 

Possibilities:

Scootaloo is an orphan and its heavily frowned upon to really say it in a mocking manner or bring it in conversation {which would make Rainbow Dash a mode of transportation from ground to cloud if she's in an orphanage in Cloudsdale} Or maybe they didn't bring this up yet until the next season in which I assume this is a reason Scootaloo gets into constant fights other then the fact she's flightless.

Assuming anything from these episodes, I'm assuming the parents neglect her because of her inability to fly. 

Tying into that, I could also assume the were rich or rather, traveling ponies. I got this from Sister Hooves Social, Scootaloo isn't there, but I had a feeling from Sweetie's Parents. Apple Bloom's died, Sweetie Belle has great relations towards her family, I'm assuming Scootaloo's problem is the opposite of Sweetie's parents. Unlike Sweetie, Rarity has a strained relationship with her family and chooses to probably not see them so often other then for her sister, simply because of their nature for not being so proper. I can see the same switched, which is why Rarity knows Scootaloo along with Sweetie knowing her too. Maybe Scootaloo's are proper like the Oranges and they really don't know her as well as lets say, Rainbow Dash. 

When I looked into just these episodes, I can make some several ideas on Scootaloo's origins, and this isn't including Hearth's Warming Eve, Hearts and Hooves Day, Ponyville Confidential {which doesn't show much on backstory other than Diamond being a witch},A Canterlot Wedding, One Bad Apple, or Sleepless in Ponyville.  Some of them show repetitions.  Briefly:

One Bad Apple:Showed they were working on something and Scootaloo seemed to have quite a bit of talent in making machinery. Wait, why didn't Apple Bloom have tools? Anyways, shows she also has connections to Sugarcube Corner, which is weird in my opinion. I can't assume she knows deeply Mr.and Mrs.Cake. 

Ponyville Confidental: Showed she can't fly, but they purposely don't laugh at her inability to fly, which shows Diamond's personality and how she has a line of decency. She makes fun of her in mud. Not the inability to fly.

Hearts and Hooves Day:Shows Cheerilee is NOT her sister, shows her personality towards the others a little more though, but not much development.

A Canterlot Wedding:She's in a flower girl dress, but shows nothing towards back story, but, it questions why she's there. Maybe Rainbow Dash helped her go? Or perhaps somepony with music.

Sleepless in Ponyville:Shows she's alone in a way that brings Rainbow and her together. She does perceive Rainbow Dash a certain way, which poses more questions, and it shows she either had no OLDER siblings, or no siblings in general and let Rainbow Dash fill that role.

Over analyzing? Probably. I was wondering about thoughts on her and her past life that might be touched quite a bit in Season 4. Any thoughts?

• Brohoof 10

Scootaloo is Rainbow Dash's long lost sibling, not even aware herself, she manages to get Dashie to take her under her wing. :3

• Brohoof 3

They might be able to elaborate on Scootaloo's backstory/past in Season 4, if the writers are going to continue the Scootalove. Since, Rainbow Dash will be her big sister and be able to comfort and spend time with her. The rest will be explained in Season 4.

• Brohoof 3

They might be able to elaborate on Scootaloo's backstory/past in Season 4, if the writers are going to continue the Scootalove. Since, Rainbow Dash will be her big sister and be able to comfort and spend time with her. The rest will be explained in Season 4.

I would love to this this, but I'm more opt to think that Rainbow Dash might get herself into trouble while being with Scootaloo, and won't actually realize how to be a sister. {This was implied in the episode, being that she was oblivious to Scootaloo's discomfort that wasn't exactly hidden well. Apple Jack seen this and, it was sad that she had and not Rainbow, and tried stopping her discomfort herself. It shows later she's rather comforting towards her, but she never understood it until she told her, which she should have asked a while back, before she fell off the cliff or even became sleep deprived. 

• Brohoof 1

I would love to this this, but I'm more opt to think that Rainbow Dash might get herself into trouble while being with Scootaloo, and won't actually realize how to be a sister. {This was implied in the episode, being that she was oblivious to Scootaloo's discomfort that wasn't exactly hidden well. Apple Jack seen this and, it was sad that she had and not Rainbow, and tried stopping her discomfort herself. It shows later she's rather comforting towards her, but she never understood it until she told her, which she should have asked a while back, before she fell off the cliff or even became sleep deprived. 

Your right. But, I think that Rainbow Dash will learn sooner or later on how to be a sister from probably Applejack or learning it herself. I understand what happened in Sleepless in Ponyville, but there might be something in Season 4 that shows the sisterly side from Rainbow Dash that we didn't get to see much of or not at all in Sleepless in Ponyville.

• Brohoof 1

Well I don't think Scootaloo is a dancer. When I watched that episode, I saw no signs of her being a dancer. Her talent is the scooter if you ask me. There is just more prof of that then a dancer.

Still I do agree with some ideas. I aways thought she might come from a rich and powerful family, but does not like to talk about it because she does not want to be like Diamond Tiara. 

Another idea that came to me was, maybe her parents are a pegasus and an earth pony. And when Scootaloo was born, she was not able to fly. Could be she has to much earth pony in her and not enough pegasus in her to fly. 

If you ask me, they should tone down the Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo relationship for a little bit and do an episode were we look at her.

Well I don't think Scootaloo is a dancer. When I watched that episode, I saw no signs of her being a dancer. Her talent is the scooter if you ask me. There is just more prof of that then a dancer.

Still I do agree with some ideas. I aways thought she might come from a rich and powerful family, but does not like to talk about it because she does not want to be like Diamond Tiara. 

Another idea that came to me was, maybe her parents are a pegasus and an earth pony. And when Scootaloo was born, she was not able to fly. Could be she has to much earth pony in her and not enough pegasus in her to fly. 

If you ask me, they should tone down the Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo relationship for a little bit and do an episode were we look at her.

I think it could be her talent, yes, but sounds rather weird to build everything up just to make Scootering her talent. I think it would be kind of funny if it wasn't something expected or in an area she never thought she'd try because it's not Rainbow's style.  

I kinda liked how they designed Aunt and Uncle Orange, and wanted the parents to act in similar fashion. I thought originally whether or not they would be earth pony and pegasus parents, but that seems unlikely since they seem to breed within their own race. {"The Perfect Stallion" being limited to earth ponies} Then again, it might not be the case  in general. Genetics are weird in Equestria. They might be 2 unicorns. ohmy.png  I can also see her simply being an earth pony with wings...or a pony with little magic to hold her in the air. Or, maybe the former, her wings might just be wrong. They buzz, that's unnatural for a pony.

• Brohoof 1

It's obvious to myself that Scootaloo is in fact a rambler. She came to Ponyville via excessive travel by hitch-hiking. If you are unfamiliar with what a rambler is, it's basically someone who hops around town to town, I guess you could also identify her as a "Highwayman" as well or "Highwaypony" in her case. Still don't dig it pops? Well there are many country songs about rambling and whatnot.

So my point? Well you see, Scootaloo being on her own and hopping town to town would give her better mechanic skills, which would allow her to tune up her scooter that somehow has a engine noise but no engine (Shows the sincerity of this whole situation)

Why would she stay in Ponyville if she was a rambler? Simple. She was a rambler because she was searching for something to fill that empty part deep down inside her along with possibly attempting to seach for her butt-tattoo (Cutie Mark) on her own , and when she came across Ponyville, she found fellow ponies there to relate to and also share in her task to find her ass-tattoo (Cutie Mark)

It only makes sense that she is a ramblin' pony. Obviously she easily relates to the part of life that is more on the edge and has no rules, along with being more free (Which is exactly who Scootaloo is, a free spirit). You'd think if she had any relation to anyone is Ponyville, they would have made it known somehow already. I would have to believe she is more on her own and the only way she'll ever re-connect with her parents is if she finds them or they find her, kinda just like that CatDog movie....

Far-fetched you say? Well this is a show about flying, magical, talking horses who solve their issues with the magic of friendship no matter what happens. Based on that logic, nothing is far-fetched. 

• Brohoof 3

Scootaloo is Rainbow Dash's long lost sibling, not even aware herself, she manages to get Dashie to take her under her wing. :3

So what?  Is Bifrost Darth Vader now?  With secret children hidden to protect them from the Emperor?

Actually that might be a good plot for an episode...

Season 4 is this fertile field that out beloved writers can sow seeds of abundant family background for the Mane Six. Would be cool if Scootaloo is Rainbow Dash's sister after all. WE SHALL SEE! yay.png

However... first things first: they got to address Fluttershy's family.

• Brohoof 1

Season 4 is this fertile field that out beloved writers can sow seeds of abundant family background for the Mane Six. Would be cool if Scootaloo is Rainbow Dash's sister after all. WE SHALL SEE! img-1603032-1-yay.png

However... first things first: they got to address Fluttershy's family.

For Flutters, I felt that maybe her parents would be how I imagine Scootaloo's are: Ones that are disliking her love for the land, and despises the fear she has towards heights. {Which Spike admits in "Party of One"} I have this feeling one episode would be centered on parents to show some more holidays in Equestria, like how they showed their version of Valentine's day and Christmas.

Scenario:

It is Mother's day/Father's day {OR WHATEVER THEY'LL CALL IT} and the families gather. Fluttershy is shown with brute-ish parents, parents that are loud, boisterous and they like showing off, much to Fluttershy's discomfort. Or maybe, they are more 'in the clouds' then Fluttershy. This causes lots of fights and eventually, they fight to the point Fluttershy leaves and they "disown" her, kind of like how Sweetie "Disowned" Rarity for AJ, except they leave for Rainbow, who is more like the proper pegasus and has a personality in common with them. Of course, AJ, being the suitable mare, ends the fight and unites them. Rainbow helps of course, but not without putting salt on the wound due to her uh, personality. In the end, they'll learn that no matter the differences, family is still family and that they should stick together and respect what they love and care for, because that's who they are as a pony. 

• Brohoof 2

Why do most people want her to be related to Rainbow Dash? I mean they're both pegasi but that's about it. Plus, I'd think Rainbow Dash's parents would tell her that she has a "long-lost sibling" and describe her look. I dunno anything's pretty much possible in MLP:FIM

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think it could be her talent, yes, but sounds rather weird to build everything up just to make Scootering her talent. I think it would be kind of funny if it wasn't something expected or in an area she never thought she'd try because it's not Rainbow's style.  

I kinda liked how they designed Aunt and Uncle Orange, and wanted the parents to act in similar fashion. I thought originally whether or not they would be earth pony and pegasus parents, but that seems unlikely since they seem to breed within their own race. {"The Perfect Stallion" being limited to earth ponies} Then again, it might not be the case  in general. Genetics are weird in Equestria. They might be 2 unicorns. img-1601067-1-ohmy.png  I can also see her simply being an earth pony with wings...or a pony with little magic to hold her in the air. Or, maybe the former, her wings might just be wrong. They buzz, that's unnatural for a pony.

Thats why I think if they do give Scootaloo an episode in season 4, it should be about developing her character and taking a break from Rainbow Dash love she has. 

Thats why I think her cutie mark well be her scooter. It's the only thing we have seen in the show that she is good at and I have never once seen her dancing and showing any signs of being good at it.

I do agree that Scootaloo should have something different from Rainbow Dash that makes them different, but that could just be the flying thing.

Would be cool if Scootaloo is Rainbow Dash's sister after all.

No not really. Besides Rainbow Dash or someone would have said something by now about that.

Besides they are already sisters in one way. Why do the need to be real sisters? 

Edited by pinkiefan1287

She's the Little Orphan Annie of MLP. Filthy Rich is going to adopt her ala Daddy Warbucks after she melts his cold heart with a delightful song and dance routine. Also Filthy Rich has an ethnic stereotype butler with magic powers.

• Brohoof 1

I believe that she is an orphan.
why?

1. The extreme likelihood her disinclusion is NOT a technical error

2. She idolizes Rainbow Dash, and her parents have also not been seen or revealed, as well having no siblings.

In the future I could somewhat expect them to bond a little closer, since each does not have a sibling revealed.

It's obvious to myself that Scootaloo is in fact a rambler. She came to Ponyville via excessive travel by hitch-hiking. If you are unfamiliar with what a rambler is, it's basically someone who hops around town to town, I guess you could also identify her as a "Highwayman" as well or "Highwaypony" in her case. Still don't dig it pops? Well there are many country songs about rambling and whatnot.

Given the show's primarily agrarian society this is actually pretty likely. A lot of Earth Ponies are probably ramblers, and it wouldn't be that insane for the occasional Pegasus or Unicorn to end up in their ranks. Other terms that people might be familiar with are Traveller, Tinker, or Pavee for the Irish amongst us. Sometimes called gypsies, but that isn't accurate because these people are not Romani although there is a bit of cross-pollination going on there. They usually travel individually or with immediate family rather than as larger caravans and end up clustered together at certain times of year as they act as itinerant farmworkers as their primary source of income.

My grandmother on my mother's side is a Pavee, in case anyone's curious why I know the name.

If this is true, given her age it's entirely possible that she's somehow gotten separated from her parents and she simply doesn't know where their Travelling has taken them. She's taken shelter in Ponyville somewhere, hoping that their path with bring them back into range someday, and otherwise taking care of herself. They might honestly think she's lost forever, depending on how exactly they got separated (somewhere in the Everfree, perhaps?)

I believe that she is an orphan.

why?

1. The extreme likelihood her disinclusion is NOT a technical error

2. She idolizes Rainbow Dash, and her parents have also not been seen or revealed, as well having no siblings.

In the future I could somewhat expect them to bond a little closer, since each does not have a sibling revealed.

Of course, your ignoring the fact they just might not be like Scootaloo herself. After seeing Sleepless in Ponyville, she said more in the terms of wanting a "bigger sister figure", not really saying she has no sibling in general. She might have siblings younger then she herself is, and wants the sibling to be older for a change. On this note, it could also be noted that Flithy Rich wasn't shown much either in one episode, so one can assume that they are as rich as DT, and had originally homeschooled her. Of course, she CAN be an orphan and still have little sisters/brothers. (not always by blood)

(edited)

For my part, I always figured Scootaloo had a family and a home as much as any other character on the show, but that it wasn't really important enough to bother showing it (as of yet, anyway).

The only thing I do take as 100% true is that she's an only child, and Rainbow is her surrogate big sister, but I don't really see her as being homeless/neglected/an orphan at all just based on the fact her family/home aren't shown. I think it's more to do with the fact that Scoot is the only CMC that isn't connected to the Mane 6, so her family isn't really important to the show's plot at all unless they find a way to make them important.

She certainly wouldn't be the first character like this. We've seen nothing of Fluttershy's family, and it took forever for Rarity and Twilight's folks to even show up. All we've seen of Rainbow Dash is her dad and a (potential) mom who get no characterisation. And Diamond Tiara's dad took his sweet time showing up whilst Silver Spoon's family is still nowhere to be seen.

I think eventually we'll get to see a glimpse of Scoot's family, but I suspect that it'll be a quick cameo like the others and they probably won't get any lines or characterisation. I'd like very much to be wrong though and have her family get some backstory as well so we can know a bit more about Scoot's life.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 2

Over-analyzing, certainly, but you deserve credit for putting so much thought into it.

I think it's strange that Sweetie Belle or Rarity are so often suggested as Changelings when Scootaloo, considering her lack of family or close friends in Ponyville, is a far more likely candidate. img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

Over-analyzing, certainly, but you deserve credit for putting so much thought into it.

I think it's strange that Sweetie Belle or Rarity are so often suggested as Changelings when Scootaloo, considering her lack of family or close friends in Ponyville, is a far more likely candidate. img-1631905-1-img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

They are? I always assumed that Scootaloo was the mane one they used for Changeling. In fact, there's a joke popping around for her. I wouldn't believe they were Changelings anyways, considering the whole family is introduced and mainly everything we should have covered for other families was already covered. I wouldn't mind actually believing that Apple Bloom was a freaking changeling! (Even in the backstory for Apple Jack, I found it was odd how Apple Bloom either A]Wasn't born yet or B]Wasn't just there. This is really odd considering her parents died. When did they die to really create Apple Bloom?)

Excellent! Just what I needed to boot up the fan fic I'm writing. Now that I see where the parallels between speculation and objectivity are, I can continue to finish it. Really great analysis ^.^ 

Thank you ^^ This thread was for debate and to help those for her character.I needed it personally the first time I made it, and I realized at some point what happened when I wrote Scoots. (Long story short: I was writing a Scoots that happened to live with parents who were rich ponies who really never cared for her, and when she "ran" they never looked. It was more psychological, having her with a split mind, one of Scootaloo and one that was dubbed "Pick Pocket" just as the name suggests. I wanted to toggle with the idea the Diamond really was like Scootaloo and came to "live" with her. This was all set during the time of the show. It was hard coming up with a story for her, actually, that sounded believable)