Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Post deleted? Now you know who, when, and why!

Twilight Sparkle ✨

Or at least, a big red placeholder where the post used to be, along with the reason it was removed!

Hidden Post.png

IP.Board used to let admins choose whether non-moderator users could see anything of a post after it is removed. This option was, however, removed in IP.Board 3.3.x, and there was no way to let non-moderators see any sign at all that a post was removed.

But , a friend of the community and an active IPS modder, managed to recreate this option after slaving away at his computer for several sweaty afternoons. He deserves a mega brohoof for his efforts.

Guests and Blank Flanks are exempt from the ability to see hidden posts. Everyone else, when a post of yours is removed, you'll be able to check which moderator did it and why. This lets you dispute the removal of a post directly with the relevant moderator. If they aren't being helpful, you are encouraged to contact an administrator as usual and appropriate action will be taken. Ideally, though, you should be making good posts that don't need removal in the first place. ;)

• Brohoof 45

Or at least, a big red placeholder where the post used to be, along with the reason it was removed!

post-1-0-86224300-1342160354_thumb.png

IP.Board used to let admins choose whether non-moderator users could see anything of a post after it is removed. This option was, however, removed in IP.Board 3.3.x, and there was no way to let non-moderators see any sign at all that a post was removed.

But , a friend of the community and an active IPS modder, managed to recreate this option after slaving away at his computer for several sweaty afternoons. He deserves a mega brohoof for his efforts.

Guests and Blank Flanks are exempt from the ability to see hidden posts. Everyone else, when a post of yours is removed, you'll be able to check which moderator did it and why. This lets you dispute the removal of a post directly with the relevant moderator. If they aren't being helpful, you are encouraged to contact an administrator as usual and appropriate action will be taken. Ideally, though, you should be making good posts that don't need removal in the first place. ;)

Saw this recently. It's a great idea instead of having a mod send a PM or something else when a post is deleted! Saves time!

• Brohoof 1

This will probably wake up ''Oh no, i'm embarrassed. Now people know i said something inappropiate and offtopic''

But i like it this way, thanks Feld0.

• Brohoof 1

This will probably wake up ''Oh no, i'm embarrassed. Now people know i said something inappropiate and offtopic''

Well, that's their own fault, is it not? They can just deal with it.

Anyway, nice to finally see this worked out :D

• Brohoof 4

It has the desirable side effect of every removed post of yours standing as a public reminder to follow the rules and think before posting next time. There was a noticeable drop in post quality around the time when this feature was originally removed, and a noticeable increase in heated conversations between members and staff. I first found out about the removal of the feature through a white-hot ball of fire sent to my inbox. ^_^

• Brohoof 4

Goodie! Now members can see how annoying it is to have a bajillion red bars all up in their topics!

Anyways, this'll help us out a bunch, and I honestly don't know why it was taken out in the first place o.O

It's just a handy way of informing members what they did wrong, rather than deleting stuffs and leaving nothing behind.

One quick question though, do deleted topics show up with the reason for deletion as well? I remember it was like that before I became a mod ages ago, but, being a mod, I've seen them all through the whole thing anyways :P

Just a good way to prevent people from repeating the same mistake more than once. Which in turn leads to us deleting less posts, hopefully making everypony happier! :3

• Brohoof 4

Goodie! Now members can see how annoying it is to have a bajillion red bars all up in their topics!

Anyways, this'll help us out a bunch, and I honestly don't know why it was taken out in the first place o.O

It's just a handy way of informing members what they did wrong, rather than deleting stuffs and leaving nothing behind.

One quick question though, do deleted topics show up with the reason for deletion as well? I remember it was like that before I became a mod ages ago, but, being a mod, I've seen them all through the whole thing anyways :P

IPS's official reason for removing it, when I asked them directly, was that it was done as part of the effort to "streamline" moderation and make it less confusing to set up for admins. So they hard-coded this ability to moderators-only and left it at that. You can find all the relevant details in the feedback topic I started on their official forums where I asked to have it back (which received only two replies).

Lavoaster's hook has the ability to control who can and cannot see hidden topics as well. I have not enabled it for members at this time, but would like to discuss the possibility of enabling it with you and the rest of the staff. I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea to leave any signs of entire deleted topics behind.

• Brohoof 2

Great. Now I have to stop writing insulting deletion notes. :(

If you ever mod my posts, feel free to insult me all you want :)

(edited)

Great feature to re-implement, mos def. There were various people around the site complaining why mods deleted their post, and while it did personally annoy me at times (no offense to anyone involved), I ultimately did not blame them as it was perceived that they were under the impression that their posts were being deleted for no reason, and eventually start rioting and fighting with the site staff (no pun intended).

I can't speak for all the new members flocking into the site, but this will definitely give them something to go on should their posts get deleted and provide them a good learning experience so that they don't repeat history. For older members... well, it gives them a bit of a strict, but nonetheless fair warning, which reminds them not to post something remotely similar to what got deleted in the first place.

Edited by Devin McCourty
  • Brohoof 1

post-1-0-86224300-1342160354_thumb.png

What if we don't remember what the deleted post was, and therefore would be unable to appose the deletion of said post?

What if we don't remember what the deleted post was, and therefore would be unable to appose the deletion of said post?

If you don't remember the post's content, you'll just have to trust that it was deleted in good faith. If you don't even remember what you said in the post, you're not exactly in a position to make a case for yourself. I would suggest trying to just forget you ever made the post and focusing on making great posts in the future. Don't dwell on the past too much.

On that note, rummaging through old posts you've made in search of something, somewhere to dispute with us doesn't sound like the most productive use of your time.

• Brohoof 4

I like it personally. I may be new to the site, but I think it will make it a lot easier on the Mods so they can continue making sure the site stays functioning rather than spending all their time typing out PM after PM about a ponys post being deleted for one reason or another.

Oh yes, just a question, but will every user be able to see deleted comments made by anyone else? Or only their own?

Everyone can see the red/pink bars for everyone's deleted posts. Only moderators and admins can see the content of deleted posts, however.

• Brohoof 3

Everyone can see the red/pink bars for everyone's deleted posts. Only moderators and admins can see the content of deleted posts, however.

Are the content of our own deleted posts available upon request? ~

Are the content of our own deleted posts available upon request? ~

No. The reason isn't to be mean or unfair, but we would likely receive an overwhelming number of requests to retrieve deleted posts for people if we accepted them.

If you don't remember what you said in a post, please see this.

Great. Now I have to stop writing insulting deletion notes. :(

Why haven't I've seen you around here before?

Especially when you're an Alicorn/Admin.

• Brohoof 1