Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Concerning Grimdark Fanfics.

MVC NVMXD JVRXD

(edited)

Please do not look up any story mentioned in this unless you want to be creeped out/scared.

Oh, and this thread is basically a giant rant. :)

Many people have read fanfics like Cupcakes and Sweet Apple Massacre. Many people think that these stories are “disturbing” and “scary”, and regard them the same way as some really good creepypastas. Well I’ve actually grown sick of this. So let me go on a big rant about creepypasta and grimdark fanfic.

I am a big fan of creepypasta. I’ve read a lot of things…. Jeff the Killer, Sorry Daddy, even some of those better “Lost Episodes”. These all have one very important element to their plots that many MLP Grimdarks lack. And of course, I speak of a build up. You know, that thing that makes you dread reading the next part, the part that makes you look behind your back to make sure the killer from the story isn’t there to kill you? In a good creepypasta/grimdark, there is a steady build up in tension through out the story that instills fear into the reader. But in almost every MLP Grimdark I have read, there is nothing to fear. It’s just “PINKIE PIE DID THIS DISGUSTING ACT TO >insert unsuspecting pony here<”.

Touching on the last thing I said, there is something else I’d like to bring up.

Over descriptive shock stories. Those aren’t grimdark at all. What’s scary about reading a detailed story of someone’s dismemberment? Absolutely nothing. Sure, it’s disgusting, but it doesn’t exactly make me afraid of anything. A great example of something like this being done WELL (and correctly) is Sorry Daddy. It gives a good description of killings, and leaves something to fear. In this, after hearing of how the evil characters murder the protagonists, it eludes to the fact that they were never stopped, and could quite possible be coming for you next. But let’s face it: it’s hard to believe that a brightly colored pony is going to come murder you. But isn’t it hard to believe that a man who gave himself a Glasgow smile and burned his eyelids out is going to come and tell you to go to sleep before he murders you? It’s all in the right amount of description. Overly describing the act of killing, yet not hinting at the killers freedom, can really kill a story.

The last thing I would like to mention is cheesy things. Yeah, I’m talking about stuff like “And then a skeleton popped out” or “HYPER-REALISTIC EYES IN A CARTOON?! BLOOD TEARS?!”. Don’t use it. Ever. It’s been too over-used. Unless you’re completely sure that it is the greatest instance of it ever being used, just erase it from your memory.

I hope you actually read this and paid attention to what I said.

Edited by Djenty
  • Brohoof 11

Make sense, but I kind of like the fact that a pink pony could brutally murder you, and all the detail makes me excited.

Well in that, I said that if done right, it could give the feeling that there's a possibility she could kill you, if the grimdark was well written.

Not all grim dark are like that, but obviously you only read the stuff everyone knows about. If you actually look into grimdark, there are a LOT of good stories. But please do base your judgement of an entire genre off the two most popular grimdarks. They're popular because they're disgusting, nothing more.

(edited)

He's not saying that all grimdark fics are bad, it's just that some tropes are often repeated over and over again, and quite a few famous stories in this fandom were labelled grimdark just for the heck of it.

Jeff the Killer, Sorry Daddy

Are you talking about these?

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Jeff_The_Killer

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/I%27m_Sorry,_Daddy

Edited by Sakamoto
  • Brohoof 1

Jeff the Killer, Sorry Daddy

Dang, they're both super short, but at the moment, I'm to much of a wuss to read them.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry Daddy seems a bit too predictable, though I can't read it all the way through, considering I'm currently sitting here, reading and listening to music with a closet and window behind me, but if the title is any indication, I think I know where it is going.

ANYWAY! I have brought up these exact same complaints about these exact same stories while discussing them with some friends. Yet they still consider Cupcakes to be "creepypasta".

(edited)

The last paragraph was from the Creepypasta Wiki, lol.

So true though. That's why I hate it when people overreact to Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory. There is nothing to be scared about, it doesn't ruin characters because it is fanon.

i find cupcakes and sweet Apple Massacre funny

I found Cupcakes kinda creepy because of Pinkie's personality throughout the fic, but if you want something funny, Trixie's Funhouse is actually a hilarious grimdark fic.

Edited by DylanKLJ

(edited)

So the violent and objectionable fan-fictions of My Little Pony don't fall into the technical distinction of "Grimdark". Sue them.[/sarcasm]

I'm glad we're not talking about whether or not people should read them, or if they should exist, because then we'd all be in a rather fruitless series of debates regarding ethics and censorship (respectively).

People who don't think they would like them or are not interested in that content should be self-aware and intelligent enough to steer clear, and if they do actually read them, they only have themselves to blame for such a decision.

Contrariwise, the authors who write these (misallocated and mislabeled) "Grimdark" fictions should be responsible and respectful enough to ensure that their stories are conveyed to those who want to view them and make an effort to reduce the chance of adverse viewership. Minors and so on who don't want to or probably shouldn't read them 'hurt' themselves reading such works, and can cause negative publicity for the author.

Edited by Blue

i dont know why but grimdarks have more of a impacted on me then stuff like my little dashie

what other good ones are there iv read cupcakes, sweetapple massacer and sorry daddy? i might give Trixie's Funhouse a go.

Not all grim dark are like that, but obviously you only read the stuff everyone knows about. If you actually look into grimdark, there are a LOT of good stories. But please do base your judgement of an entire genre off the two most popular grimdarks. They're popular because they're disgusting, nothing more.

What I was trying to say is that these popular/gross ones should not be labeled as grimdark as everyone says they are because, well, they are not.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ihave to agree on Djenty on all this.

Cupcakes did not scare me, just made me want to puke my guts out. Same goes for trixies fun house, sweet apple massacre and all the other big Mac the murdering rapist stories.

Then you have stories like rainbow factory that aren't scary just more less thrilling.

I dont think I've ever read a good grimdark fanfic, and if I have it wasn't god or worth remembering.

Edited by jarrod989
  • Brohoof 1

FINALLY SOMEONE AGREES.

I once searched up Cupcakes images at 12 AM. I don't find it to be scary at all. It's more graphic than anything else.

What do you mean "finally"?

Most of us have been saying this since long before MLPFiM even existed; that gore-based horror isn't horror because it doesn't scare you, just shocks and sometimes startles you. And after you watch enough, not even that. Good horror will always mess with you, no matter how much other horror you've been exposed to. Unless you're like me and still haven;t found any horror that actually scared you :(

I feel left out, I want to know what it's like to be disturbed on a psychological level :(

What do you mean "finally"?

Most of us have been saying this since long before MLPFiM even existed; that gore-based horror isn't horror because it doesn't scare you, just shocks and sometimes startles you. And after you watch enough, not even that. Good horror will always mess with you, no matter how much other horror you've been exposed to. Unless you're like me and still haven;t found any horror that actually scared you :(

I feel left out, I want to know what it's like to be disturbed on a psychological level :(

It's because I constantly hear about how "frightening" these pony fictions are. I have hardly heard anyone not moan and complain about them. Everyone gets afraid of different things, but I fail to understand why so many people have to make a fuss out of them. I agree with OP completely, is what I'm stating.

That can be arranged.. *evil smile/laugh*

But the things I have said in this thread aren't really knew or anything. I just wanted to point them out, and stuff.

That can be arranged.. *evil smile/laugh*

But the things I have said in this thread aren't really knew or anything. I just wanted to point them out, and stuff.

I'm serious. If you know of any really good psych horror media of any kind, point me to it.