Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Olympics, and those who don't care about them

Ron Jeremy

(edited)

I see where you're coming from, man. Before I say anything else, I just want to get this out there in case I haven't yet: I don't have any specific grudge against the Olympics themselves, it's the extreme overexposure and overmarketing.

That said, I honestly can see how some could enjoy the Olympics, I'm not doubting that. It's just that, for some of us, the Olympics aren't really our cup of tea. We don't see that angle the hardcore fans do. And when all that overmarketing and overexposure is dumped in our faces, it's kind of offensive. We get annoyed seeing the athletes' faces on everything from cereal to bubble gum. Some of us see it as a slap in the face, especially when you consider that if the same level of hype were toward a video gaming event or anything else, all those involved would be called "No-life permavirgins". Sports events get a special "pass" that other things don't.

I'm sorry to say, but I sort of disagree. As opposed to some witty filmmaker who spent two hours on his computer making an amateur video that suddenly goes viral and gets recognized by millions of users around the world, I'd much rather see the face of someone who has dedicated a very significant amount of their life to something. The same goes for video-game pros -- I'd much rather see one of them on my cereal box than an ad for a chance to meet with Ray W. Johnson. It's along the same lines with music -- producers nowadays stick a catchy beat and auto-tune into a song, and they meet millions of figures. Comparatively, the unknown artists tend to flourish in their anonymity, only managing to sneak in the shadows until, once in a blue moon, they become recognized for their effort and talent. The Olympics are like that, in a way. Most of the athletes participating are unknown to a vast majority of the viewers, and the same athletes strive to claim the moment of glory, standing on a rise above their proudly beaten competition, excitedly holding the coveted gold medal. The physical and mental effort that goes into training for Olympic events is going a bit unnoticed, here. I doubt I'd be able to go through a day of their regular training, and I'm no slouch. It's true they are just average human beings. We all are. The thing that makes them special is their dedication. It's also true that, if you spend enough time doing something with actual effort, you can reach a stage where you excel beyond abnormal expectations. Every competitor in the games is a fine example of that. To me, that in itself is mind-numbing. Knowing that even the worst competitor out of every category is better than millions upon billions of people in that event. To me, it's not annoying or offensive. It's awe-inspiring and drives me to put an extraneous amount of effort into everything I wish to excel at.

You often hear the announcers talk about an athlete's history; sometimes, they hail from a small, unknown village. The Olympic Games prove that, in the long run (lol), hard work and effort do gain the recognition of others. The athletes you see on your cereal box earned that spot -- even if they might not have wanted it. Even if you might not want it. They deserve recognition for what they do. Now, I'm not saying being in the Games isn't enough -- it is. I just think it's silly to know who Justin Bieber is and not the entire team whom represent one's country.

I know it's a major marketing campaign for a vast majority of companies, but if you're sick of its hype or effect on products you buy, maybe you should reconsider what you're buying.

(Out of place, but who cares.) It's almost like agreeing to allow ads on the site. I support MLPForums by enabling them -- I don't have to pay any attention to them, though. They're thrown in my face everywhere, but I still ignore them. If the Olympic Games really mean nothing to you, then just ignore it all. Although, it would be strange to meet someone in real-life and tell them you watched ponies instead of the Olympics. (Or so I'd assume, hehe.)

Of course there's going to be over-marketing and overexposure -- it's a worldwide event. Records are broken on a daily basis while the thing runs, for Pete's sake! If you were running a successful business, you'd do your best to capitalize off of something related to the event, too. If you do end up running a successful business, remember you're not a heartless shell or a faceless corporation. Treat your employees with respect! >:oo

I'd rather have anime than ponies. I'd rather have the Olympics than anime. The positive effect the Games have on the entire world is needed.

Honestly, it makes more people happy than pissed off, so I'm unsure why I'm defending them...

I guess it's because the image that always comes into my head when I think of the Olympics is an experience I had as a child. I was in South Africa with my dad, and there was a soccer match with the home team playing. The people from an impoverished mini-village outside of the one we were staying at had all gathered around a television set. I hate the things Nike (and other corporations) does to its employees, but you also have to think to yourself: someone made the apparel those athletes are wearing. Although it may not mean much to us, those people take pride in knowing they made a champion's gear. It's unfortunate that they are not paid living wages; otherwise, they might be able to take time off and watch their residential country compete. It's unfortunate too, that they are misinformed and abused to the point where, the life they live, in which only the most bare of basic needs are met, they consider to be a jewel... Sure says something about our society of spoiled sixteen-year-old brats who didn't get the right color car for their birthday.

There are many factors to these games. I've finally decided I'll enter the field of psychology for my career, because many of the questions I ask to myself, I have discovered, are what practicing psychologists ask themselves as well. I try to see all things from every angle possible. I do my best to stay consistent with the angles I choose to follow. In this case, I believe the benefits the Olympics have on the world far outnumber the subliminal vices they produce.

To any and all who read this -- sorry and thank you. Sorry for the wall, thanks for the consideration.

Edited by Guest

Amen.

Stuff such as the Super Bowl and Olympics always get a bit on my nerves.

Since like you said they end up being completely everywhere.

It's nice that people like it, and I know im in the minority.

But even then at least respect that I dislike the events themselves.

I don't mind what the olympics stands for (Bringing all the countries together) but I sure dont care to watch the games.

• Brohoof 1

Amen.

Stuff such as the Super Bowl and Olympics always get a bit on my nerves.

But even then at least respect that I dislike the events themselves.

I don't mind what the olympics stands for (Bringing all the countries together) but I sure dont care to watch the games.

Bronies just sometimes get on my nerves.

But even then at least respect that I dislike the show itself.

I don't mind what the bronies stand for (love and tolerance) but I sure dont care to watch the show.

I have no clue why I wrote this. I might be weird, I just somehow feel like it's interesting view, maybe? idk

On topic: I don't care about olympics and honestly, if it wasn't for some threads on this site, I wouldn't even know.

• Brohoof 1

Bronies just sometimes get on my nerves.

But even then at least respect that I dislike the show itself.

I don't mind what the bronies stand for (love and tolerance) but I sure dont care to watch the show.

I have no clue why I wrote this. I might be weird, I just somehow feel like it's interesting view, maybe? idk

On topic: I don't care about olympics and honestly, if it wasn't for some threads on this site, I wouldn't even know.

That was a good laugh, and it's pretty funny just how easily it can be changed to fit into that aspect.

• Brohoof 1

Olympics don't happen every 4 years, (every 2 years if you count Winter Olympics) of course its going to be everywhere because almost every country competes in a traditional event that's been happening for decades, plus it only lasts a couple of weeks and it'll be gone for 2 years so it's not that big of a deal.

I'm sorry to say, but I sort of disagree. As opposed to some witty filmmaker who spent two hours on his computer making an amateur video that suddenly goes viral and gets recognized by millions of users around the world, I'd much rather see the face of someone who has dedicated a very significant amount of their life to something. The same goes for video-game pros -- I'd much rather see one of them on my cereal box than an ad for a chance to meet with Ray W. Johnson. It's along the same lines with music -- producers nowadays stick a catchy beat and auto-tune into a song, and they meet millions of figures. Comparatively, the unknown artists tend to flourish in their anonymity, only managing to sneak in the shadows until, once in a blue moon, they become recognized for their effort and talent. The Olympics are like that, in a way. Most of the athletes participating are unknown to a vast majority of the viewers, and the athletes strive to claim that moment of glory, standing on a rise above their beaten competition. The physical and mental effort that goes into training for Olympic events is going a bit unnoticed, here. I doubt I'd be able to go through a day of their regular training, and I'm no slouch. It's true they are just average human beings. We all are. The thing that makes them special is their dedication. It's also true that, if you spend enough time doing something with effort, you can reach a stage where you excel beyond abnormal expectations. Every competitor in the games is a fine example of that. To me, that in itself is mind-numbing. Knowing that even the worst competitor out of every category is better than millions upon billions of people in that event. To me, it's not annoying or offensive. It's awe-inspiring and drives me to put an extraneous amount of effort into everything I wish to excel at.

You sometimes hear the announcers talk about an athlete's history, maybe they came from a small, unknown village. The Olympic Games prove that, in the long run (lol), hard work and effort do gain the recognition of others. The athletes you see on your cereal box earned that spot -- even if they might not have wanted it. Even if you might not want it. They deserve recognition for what they do. Now, I'm not saying being in the Games isn't enough -- it is. I just think it's silly to know who Justin Bieber is and not the entire team whom represent one's country.

I know it's a major marketing campaign for a vast majority of companies, but if you're sick of its hype or effect on products you buy, maybe you should reconsider what you're buying.

(Out of place, but who cares.) It's almost like agreeing to allow ads on the site. I support MLPForums by enabling them -- I don't have to pay any attention to them, though. They're thrown in my face everywhere, but I still ignore them. If the Olympic Games really mean nothing to you, then just ignore it all. Although, it would be strange to meet someone in real-life and tell them you watched ponies instead of the Olympics. (Or so I'd assume, hehe.)

Of course there's going to be over-marketing and overexposure -- it's a worldwide event. Records are broken on a daily basis while the thing runs, for Pete's sake! If you were running a successful business, you'd do your best to capitalize off of something related to the event, too. If you do end up running a successful business, remember you're not a heartless shell or a faceless corporation. Treat your employees with respect! >:oo

I'd rather have anime than ponies. I'd rather have the Olympics than anime, because the effect it has on the entire world is needed.

Honestly, it makes more people happy than pissed off, so I'm unsure why I'm defending them...

I guess it's because the image that always comes into my head when I think of the Olympics is an experience I had as a child. I was in South Africa with my dad, and there was a soccer match with the home team playing. The people from an impoverished mini-village outside of the one we were staying at all gathered around a television set. I hate the things Nike (and other corporations) does to its employees, but you also have to think to yourself: someone made the apparel those athletes are wearing. Although it may not mean much to us, those people take pride in knowing they made a champion's gear. It's unfortunate that they are not paid living wages; otherwise, they might be able to take time off and watch their residential country compete. It's unfortunate too, that they are misinformed and abused to the point where, the life they live, in which only the most bare of basic needs are met, they consider to be a jewel... Sure says something about our society of spoiled sixteen-year-old brats who didn't get the right color car for their birthday.

There are many factors to these games. I've finally decided I'll enter the field of psychology for my career, because many of the questions I ask to myself, I have discovered, are what practicing psychologists ask themselves as well. I try to see all things from every angle possible. I do my best to stay consistent with the angles I choose to follow. In this case, I believe the benefits the Olympics have on the world far outnumber the subliminal vices they produce.

To any and all who read this -- sorry and thank you. Sorry for the wall, thanks for the consideration.

Off-topic, but seriously, this is the kind of post I love reading on forums. Well-thought, and reading it makes me think, and possibly re-consider my opinion.

Now, something I want to elaborate on is: Like I said, I don't hate the Olympics themselves. I just don't care to watch them, but I don't hate the fans of them. Looking back at my previous posts in this thread, I realized I might come across as being hateful, but this is not the case, I assure you.

After reading your post, I've been putting more thought into what you said. The Olympics mean more to some people than they do to others, sure. But that isn't what I'm complaining about. I guess what I'm complaining about is the over-marketing and overexposure, the Olympics being pushed on people who aren't interested. I guess it's similar to other causes and such being over-advertised until people start despising any mention of them. I mean, anything being pushed to the point you don't want to hear about it any more is annoying, we can all agree on that.

I'm out of things to say at the moment.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Off-topic, but seriously, this is the kind of post I love reading on forums. Well-thought, and reading it makes me think, and possibly re-consider my opinion.

Now, something I want to elaborate on is: Like I said, I don't hate the Olympics themselves. I just don't care to watch them, but I don't hate the fans of them. Looking back at my previous posts in this thread, I realized I might come across as being hateful, but this is not the case, I assure you.

After reading your post, I've been putting more thought into what you said. The Olympics mean more to some people than they do to others, sure. But that isn't what I'm complaining about. I guess what I'm complaining about is the over-marketing and overexposure, the Olympics being pushed on people who aren't interested. I guess it's similar to other causes and such being over-advertised until people start despising any mention of them. I mean, anything being pushed to the point you don't want to hear about it any more is annoying, we can all agree on that.

I'm out of things to say at the moment.

I just realized how I can relate the whole thing to ponies, something the majority of us are a fan of on these forums. The episode "A Friend in Deed" has Pinkie Pie attempting to flood a newcomer with friendship. As someone who was not used to such a thing, Cranky Doodle Donkey turned her down at every opportunity she extended her hoof in comradeship. The excessive and unnecessary overexposure to friendship Pinkie threw in the donkey's face caused him to loathe the idea more and more. Eventually, he reached the point of shutting down. As a final attempt, Pinkie went out on a limb. Cranky was traveling far and wide in search of a special friend, and Pinkie was able to put two and two together. Judging by the material in both donkey's scrapbooks, Pinkie introduces a new donkey, Matilda, to Cranky. The rest, as they say, is history.

I'm pretty sure I understand where you guys are coming from. If we replace Pinkie with the Olympics and Cranky with you guys (sorry lol) then the situation sort of fits into place. The only difference is you guys have yet to find your "Matilda". Hopefully you don't shoot down the idea of the Olympic Games every year they occur -- it truly is an awe-inspiring event. I too am glad we can have a discussion about such issues in an orderly manner. Even if you dislike the overexposure and over-marketing, the vast majority of the world eats it up. As you stated in your original post, it's something you'll most likely have to deal with. You might even think of it as a lemon. It's up to you to decide whether you'll pucker up and taste the bitterness of the thing, or you can act like a plant, create your own sugar, and make some lemonade. (I added that plant bit because raw lemon juice is still bitter -- everyone forgets to say how you get the sugar...) I'm sort of beating a dead bush here, but I like the idea of this thread. You, unlike a few others, give reasons for not liking the Olympics. I'm sorry if this was a little off-topic, but at least it contributes in some way to the discussion. How, you ask? Because ponies.

P.S. The opening ceremony was spectacular -- I honestly recommend that those of you who don't care for the Olympics watch it regardless.

Edited by Guest

I don't care for the olympics that much either, but I do appreciate what it does for the world, and it's certainly worth happening to bring everyone in the world together like it does. :)

Me personally I believe the only good reason to keep the Olympics running is to relieve a lot of tension between currently feuding countries. Otherwise it is just a stadium filled with people screaming curses at the other teams in different languages (wasn't fun listening to the French curses in Beijing). Your right when you say the Olympics is shoving its existence down our throats, but I think hasbro MIGHT make a pony version of the Olympics in season three. I ask "would you watch the Olympics if it were ponyfied"? I would definitely watch that.

(edited)

Posted Image

To be honest, I don't think I saw that much advertisement going on here in France. Much as it was FKING EVERYWHERE when they took place in Paris, I only saw some adverts in the subway weeks ago, then it... kinda vanished.

Though, come to think of it, when we went to Paris last weekend, we DID see a giant screen in a plaza near the town hall where a French journalist was interviewing athletes. As for TV... I don't often watch it, but the rare times I did, I saw no difference in the kinds of ads aired.

Also, there is not enough brohoofs to express how much I love the debate between Kamina and Torneko. This is the sort of discussion you don't see everywhere, folks. <3

distracting a certain nameless person from RPing, in fact </3

:c *hugs* Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1

Personally, I couldn't care less about a bunch of people running around a track for a bit. Nothing against them doing it, if they want to spend £££ builing a huge ass stadium when there's plenty of good ones out there so we can run around and throw sticks. Its their thing.

Just... My face isn't a good place to shove it.

(edited)

Dafuq? Since when was there a summer olympics this year? Oh well, I probably wouldn't watch it anyways... well maybe China vs (Country) because they are currently in 1st place for medals, or DPR Korea vs (country) because... it's a hard ass communist country that tries to be 'perfect' (especially in soccer...) ... I would also probably watch soccer, basketball, or badminton, and some track and field events if I ever felt like watching something out of randomness. I would probably watch Volleyball the most...

Remember when North Korea won the FIFA 2010 cup?

But anyways. I like the winter olympics more.

... and if I had a tv, there would probably be a higher chance that I would watch the olympics.

Edited by Rainbow-

The Olympics bores me. I'm sick of seeing it everywhere I go, I live in England so pretty much every human being here is talking about their favourite events and stuff. Someone walked up to me and asked what my favourite event is, he didn't even think to ask if I actually watch the Olympics or not, it's expected that you do. I'm fine with the Olympics, just because I don't watch it doesn't mean I hate it, I just find it boring. What I'm not fine with is how you can't go anywhere without seeing that logo. I do kind of like the winter ones though, with snowboarding. :3

• Brohoof 1

Now, we all know that that Olympics thing is going on. How can't we? It's everywhere. The news, TV, ads, site designs, you can't help but know about it. That's fine and dandy, right?

What about those who don't care?

Events such as the Olympics and that super bowl get forced in peoples' faces via the media, which is fine for those who enjoy them. But for some of us, we don't care. It's just a bunch of people running around on fields playing a game. But we have to see it everywhere. Grab a bag of chips, an Olympics ad. Grab a can of soda, an Olympics ad. Turn on the TV, Olympics. Browse the internet, Olympics. Check your email, Olympics. Check your (social networking site here), Olympics. -randomly placed snip-

If we were to swap lives, this aspect would not differ.

Need more characters. Huehuehuehuehuehuehue.

I'm not interested in the Olympics because it's about sport and I have no interest in sport whatsoever. But, I'm not against or hate the Olympics because of what it means (other then money) and what comes from it like something the whole world can relate to no matter the race, gender or sexuality. Unity is what makes us strong and allows us to be able to accomplish great things. This fandom is proof of that.

I should put aside some time to watch the opining ceremony as I've done that a few times now as it makes for something interesting to watch because I see it as basically a representation of that country to the world. I've always been intrigued by learning about other countries.

I just watched the begining ceremony, but that´s all. I´m more into winter olympics, there´s ice hockey... :wub: But I really don´t give a flying feather about olympics. But I must admit that Nike commercial is cool (greatness one), it brings tears in my eyes. :(

I don't hate the olympics, I just don't give a fuck about them. I was tired of seeing the ads all over hell and creation. So, I installed adblock :lol: . I'm more intersted in anything that has some intellectual value.

• Brohoof 1

Personally I only watch the Olympics for their sailing events :D. As for the advertizing, if you are just SO upset with the commercials, just turn off the TV or something xD

I personally don't care about the Olympics, but I am yet to feel like it has been 'forced' on me. I have the option of not turning my TV on to channels that might be showing or talking about it.

(edited)

I don't see why so many people are watching the Olympics, do half of them even care about it? If they do that's fine of course, but I just never understood the appeal of sports. I'd watch a pony version of the Olympics if it had Spitfire and/or Rainbow Dash though because best ponies would make it way cooler. (inb4 20% cooler)

Edited by spaghettinoodles