Rate song, then post another!

Marshmallow

(edited)

Death Angel: 8/10 or 9/10. That band is promising, I should look them up. Good energy, good guitar work, drums much better than Metallica's, thrash vocals with some similarities with NWOBHM (I'm hearing some Bruce Dickinson similarities in his voice). Heavy, while still being reasonably technical and melodic. Good stuff.

Eminem: 7/10. While the song keeps the basic over and over again, it does a decently good job at making slight changes that significantly increase the variety of the song. The basic background melody is simple, but it works. The rapping mostly stays the same, although slight variations keeps it reasonably fresh. The chorus is catchy (for a rap song, anyway).

Edit: Spirit Caravan: 8/10. Nice groove, and it manages to be slow without being painfully slow. It reminds me a lot of some of Black Sabbath's work. The drumming is nice too. Good stuff.

Edited by Ironic Nickname

Clutch: 8/10: Some nice rock music (not quite sure which subgenre) right there.

Cauldron: 8/10: Really nice guitars. The vocals and chorus don't quite live up to the guitars (though still solid), but the guitars (and good drumming) carries the song to greatness anyway.

Let's go with some instrumental Swedish folk music:

• Brohoof 1

Skillet: 4/10. Repetitive, oversimplified guitars, generic drumming, nu-metal/alternative rock-ish vocals that sound vaguely angry without being powerful. Reminds me of early Linkin Park.

Xenoblade Chronicles: 8/10. Heavy, but with variation and less generic drumming. Nice guitar solo. Good stuff (I haven't played the game).

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Gallowbraid: 8/10. Great stuff! Variety in phrases, atmospheric and dark while still managing to avoid sounding depressing (and actually kind of hopeful, kind of like winter in some ways), and with noticeable melodic elements. The acoustic instruments do their job well too.

Edit: Goatwhore. Objectively: 8/10. Subjectively: 6/10. The song has many merits, such as good energy, good guitar solos, and such. It conveys a dark and "evil" imagine, indeed. This, however, makes me a bit uncomfortable, which makes me not enjoy the song that much. Even if, say, Mayhem is objectively good music, I doubt I'll enjoy it because I know what members of that band did. Hence my score.

Approximately how I view different scores:

10/10: Fantastic.

9/10: Awesome.

8/10: Great.

7/10: Good.

6/10: Decent.

5/10: Mediocre.

4/10 to 1/10: Various degrees of bad.

Here's some very melodic folk/black/viking metal. I find Norse (and Greek) mythology quite interesting, and this song tells the story of Loki/Loke (parts of it, anyway). References to the killing of Baldur/Balder and Tyr losing his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e54HOAYmTO0

Edited by Ironic Nickname

8/10. It's good at setting the mood, and some of the guitar parts are really good. It's not the best music for actively listening though, and I imagine it works better in the context of, say, a video game, where it acts as atmospheric background music. It does its job well and is overall enjoyable.

More video game music, this time a jazz piano remix:

(edited)

Sixer - The Race 5/10. Sounds to poor. I don't like too much specially the sound of the guitars.

Kirby's Jazzland: 8/10 Very good piano cover.

Edited by jorge123esp

6/10. In general it's hard to create instrumental versions of sung music, because they tend to repeat the same note over and over again. This works when sung, but not as well when played. One exception is when songs have a great deal of variety on notes. Californiacation was not one of them, unfortunately. Most pop/rock/metal/hip-hop music doesn't work that well with instrumental covers, in my opinion. With that being said, there are exceptions. With that being said, I see potential in her playing, especially in the parts where she improvises.

Here's an example of when an instrumental version of sung music works quite well (in my opinion): 

I bet that version is better known than the original at this point. In case anyone is curious, here's the original (with vocals). 

For rating purposes, either choose one of them or rate both.

10/10

I liked the first one a little bit more. I love there's a lot of going with all the horns and stuff.

Looks like I'm starting to have a whole new appreciation of jazz. c:

• Brohoof 1

Bruce Dickinson: 7/10. The verses are a bit slow, most of the guitars are kind of simplistic. The chorus is somewhat catchy-ish, but not super great. Still, solid enough, and the guitar solo is great.

Ren & Stimpy: 7/10. The vocals kind of feel more like talking than singing, but the music works pretty well.

Allen/Lande: Truth: 8/10. Fun instruments, catchy chorus. The singing could've been better, but it's decent enough (could be a "personal preference" thing though). Fun times!

Allen/Lande: Angels: 8/10. Catchy hard rock music, fun times.

So, we've looked at cool jazz (Miles Davis), swing (Benny Goodman/Louis Prima), let's look at bebop (at least I think this is bebop, someone who knows jazz better could correct me if I'm wrong, or verify if I'm right). Oh, and whatever kind of jazz that Kirby cover was.

• Brohoof 1