Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Open Letter From Ol' Sarge

Ol' Sarge

If I even begin to type what I would like to say about the father and the situation, I'd go on a mouth-foaming rant about today's generation of young parents, so I just won't.

You were, are, and will still be respected Ol Sarge. Like the others have stated, this is a misunderstanding blown way out of proportion and we will have your back and stand up for you.

• Brohoof 5

And she broadcasts it on every thread.

"I'm 8 and have nothing to say about this topic" ~

this whole thing is so stupid -.-'

Worse part is, Fellow members that were mature, yet were under the age of 13 are getting suspended as well.

Crazy Misty was one of my favorite members here one the forums, and now he's suspended for half a year, it's not fair to them, I wanted the rule change to prevent future problems such as this, but right now I'm not sure if it was worth it for the members that we lost :\

• Brohoof 4

I really don't have a good view of the court at all, but there is such a thing as evidence and there is none to implicate Ol' Sarge here... You guys are wildly throwing this out of proportion.

He could even make a claim saying his freedom of speech is being assaulted if he were to even go to trial over this.

Many strangers in countries kiss each other when saying hello and goodbye, this is nothing. And saying you would "date" someone is equally as ambiguous. I could tell an 8 year old girl "it's a date!" and take her out for ice cream.

You guys really are making an argument out of nothing here

This is true.

I've had crimes against me and because they were online the police and lawyer told me there was nothing I could do about them.

Internet crimes are next to impossible to prove, this case wouldn't even make it to the court room. ~

• Brohoof 6

This is true.

I've had crimes against me and because they were online the police and lawyer told me there was nothing I could do about them.

Internet crimes are next to impossible to prove, this case wouldn't even make it to the court room. ~

This right here. I'm not going to get too deep into it, but I've gotten into some deep trouble from the internet before which was a lot worse than this scenario right here (granted, I wasn't doing anything that related to pedophilia) and I didn't get into any actual trouble. If they're gonna bust you for something like pedophilia, they are going to need a lot more than some stupid forum post on the forum games of all things on a freaking forum about My Little Pony for crying out loud.

By the way I just read what I typed and it looks like in a way that I'm implying that Sarge is a pedo. He's not, and honestly I don't think he knew about this person's age. I don't know the full situation with this kid's dad, but from what I have seen so far this person's a fool; for both flipping out about this and for letting his daughter online unsupervised.

• Brohoof 4

Thank God I'm 14.

I'd have nothing to do with my life if I got banned ...

The age limit is pretty gray in terms of morality. You are banning great members from this forum but you are preventing things like this from happening again AND keeping the children innocent. I gotta say, the age limit was the correct thing to do.

• Brohoof 2

#offtopic: As usual, all the shit goes down when I decide to take a break from the forums.

#ontopic: I am deeply shocked, saddened and disgusted, faith in humanity down by 500%

I don't even...I just don't see how this whole awful mess could have possibly happened in the first place.

Firstly, why the hell are 8 year old kids using the forums, let alone internet! I used the internet from about 10, but my parents limited me to very specific sites and constantly checked what I was doing until I was 13.

Secondly, What the hell does the father think he was doing? I mean he didn't even check where the post originated from! even my dad (who gets angry pretty quick) wouldn't be so rash as to track the guy down without even check the source and context.

It was a game for bucks sake! A GAME! what....

Ok, Ol' Sarge, please, please don't leave. You did nothing wrong and acted under information that you thought was correct at the time. And I think I speak on behalf of the community when I say that none of us hold you responsible. We will all try our best to support you through what must be an extremely difficult and troubling time.

Just try get it cleaned up with the relevant people, just in case it escalates and turns even nastier. (which I very much hope it doesn't)

And if you need anything, the forums are here for you.

This is indeed, a very dark day for us here at MLP forums.

• Brohoof 2

Have you guys considered the possibility that the 8 year old kid was really just a deep-cover troll all along? It would be so easy, it's stupid:

1. Join some community of nerdy man-children

2. Pose as a young girl

3. Get one or more members to say something that could *remotely* be construed as inappropriate

4. Pose as "young girl's dad" and berate the offender for being a preverted commie wierdo

5. Get the entire community's panties in a twist

6. Document the whole thing on SomethingAwful so all of the Goons (and the rest of the internet) can have a good laugh

7. ???

8. Profit.

Seriously, guys. If I was going to troll Bronies in an epic prank, this is how I would have done it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but after several years in Eve, I can smell a Goon scam a mile away.

Edited by NLR Soldier
  • Brohoof 3

Have you guys considered the possibility that the 8 year old kid was really just a deep-cover troll all along? It would be so easy, it's stupid:

2. Pose as a young girl

3. Get one or more members to say something that could *remotely* be construed as inappropriate

4. Pose as "young girl's dad" and berate the offender for being a preverted commie wierdo

6. Document the whole thing on SomethingAwful so all of the Goons (and the rest of the internet) can have a good laugh

7. ???

8. Profit.

Seriously, guys. If I was going to troll Bronies in an epic prank, this is how I would have done it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but after several years in Eve, I can smell a Goon scam a mile away.

I would agree with this...but I would think this supposed 8 year old girl who is a troll would press the issue further and try to get more than a kiss out of it

I guess you're right. I just really hate to see someone get into trouble for absolutely nothing like this.

Yikes! I'm thirty three! Suddenly I feel decidedly old here! I'm almost twice as old as Feld0, and he's scolded me for inappropriate posts!

:blink:

I agree...33 this month

Wait dis isn't a joke?

I don't even know what's going on.

You're leaving because you did what the thread subject told you to (would you kiss the pony above you, I think)?

I really don't understand.

And I'm all like 'like what'.

Another reason as to why a ages 10+ only restriction should be added to the forums. I Harte little kids In areas where the shouldnt be ( *team fortress 2 cough cough* ) and this only makes me hate them more. The kid is at fault for wandering into a bad place and the father should have been supervising her.

I dont know much about American law system, but in Canada I'm preety sure without actual interaction you can't get In trouble.

Another reason as to why a ages 10+ only restriction should be added to the forums. I Harte little kids In areas where the shouldnt be ( *team fortress 2 cough cough* ) and this only makes me hate them more. The kid is at fault for wandering into a bad place and the father should have been supervising her.

I dont know much about American law system, but in Canada I'm preety sure without actual interaction you can't get In trouble.

yeah, the rule has already been made, if you're below 13 you can't see the forums, sadly many good mature members have been suspended because of it :\

Thanks everyone, you guys are the best! I'm still laying low for a while, but I check in from time to time.

We all got your back. I know once when I was really down and thought I was against something alone it sucked bad. But some of my friends were with me. To put it simply, it's a big bucking breakthrough when people got your back.

So yeah, we got your back.

• Brohoof 2

feld0 is only 17, how can he run a site hes not even old enough to be on XD

You dare question the powers of the almighty Feld0? Feld0 has the magical power to do anything. End of story.

2. Pose as a young girl

7. ???

8. Profit.

This actually seems pretty plausible.

By the way, was the 8 year old girl banned? I remember her because she would always mention the fact that she was 8 but I forgot her username.

• Brohoof 2

You dare question the powers of the almighty Feld0? Feld0 has the magical power to do anything. End of story.

This actually seems pretty plausible.

By the way, was the 8 year old girl banned? I remember her because she would always mention the fact that she was 8 but I forgot her username.

She's not banned, just like any other member below 13 years old, she will be suspended, until she reaches 13 years old and can return to the forums, by then she probably won't even like MLP anymore

Oh lord.

It's incredibly sad to see something so simple and innocent turn into something like this. Especially to someone as active and respectable as you, Ol' Sarge.

This is an all too real reflection of society's ability to take things at even less than face value and turn them into horrible things simply because of a failure to communicate.

Aside from that, it's also a reflection of our little community's willingness to be kind and good. Ol' Sarge appears to be taking the full burden of blame for whatever repercussions this may have on him and the site. All of this he does despite the fact that the majority of the blame rest upon the other party. It is truly a great example of extreme humility.

If it truly means anything, my thoughts and prayers this night, and for many nights to come, go out to you and your family. I hope that the damned ignorance and (unfortunately understandable) anger of this other man does not truly destroy the life you have built.

I truly hope to see you on here again in the near future.

with much respect and admiration,

Sirseansy

I-I ... you... I... they... what... i... I really don't know what to say man...

Wish u best of luck anyway. We all do. Jeez... *le sigh* i am just speechless dude. But i'm pretty sure evryone has done all talking for me. This saddens me so :(

• Brohoof 2

Well, I didn't fully read the whole 10 pages, but out of all this I kinda got a few unanswered questions, which would make sense to ask ourselves:

1) How did the 'father' get your name and phone number?

2) Craig's list.... How in God's sake can a person's life be ruined in CRAIG'S LIST?

3) Even if the cops went to your house, do you really believe they would even touch you for such a ludicrous situation? It's a blasted forum game.

4) How come this also affected your family? I will assume your wife knows about the forum and all the jokes generated in here. This is not a matter of breaking any law, let alone paedophilia.

________

Well, what else can we do but give you a temporary honourable discharge. One fit for a gentleman.

• Brohoof 2

Thank fuck you haven't left us forever.

It's stuff like this that really annoys me. I haven't seen many of your posts, but I have been told how you have given great advice to many people out there on the forum that need it the most.

It's such a shame that some dipstick would not even try to assess the situation and attempt to charge you as a paedophile, even worse that he isn't supervising his 8 year old daughter on the internet. When I have childeren, I would let them go on the internet unsupervised when they're 10, because I think that 10 year olds are more mature by then. I mean, that was the age I started the internet.

But anyway, like I said before, it's good to see you'll be popping in once in a while, it's just a shame someone took an innocent forum game to be something dangerous to his child.

Oh, and tell your wife what happened. I sincerely doubt you will ever be sent to court, let alone arrested.

All we can say now is, he done goof'd.

• Brohoof 1

I could see said father calling police.

Father: Yes police? There's a pedophile online that has talked about kissing my daughter. I want you to arrest him.

Police: Alright we'll come on over.

<Police arrive>

Police: Ok so for evidence we're going to need a printout and the man's address.

Father: I don't know where he lives.

Police: Ok... we'll look through the database. Now, where is this site he talked about kissing your daughter.

Father: Right here, sir. <opens webpage>

Police: Ok lets see. <sees title of forum thread> <looks back at father> <laughs>

Father: What? What's so funny? He's obviously a pedophile!

Police: Thank you for your time. We will be going now.

Father: Aren't you gonna print off the evidence?!

Police: What evidence? All I see is a game. <leaves>

that's about how it'd go.

• Brohoof 2

Dafuq did I just read?...

I have always believed that just about every forum of some sort requires an age limit due to immaturity and parental judgement. In truth though, I never thought THIS would actually happen, especially not to someone who I regularly see posting perfectly normal responses to most topics. What else is disappointing, is that the father of that child would even go to such extremes without much evidence that into claiming what he thinks about Ol'Sarge. However, I am not a father, so I don't know what it means to care for your child, and if I were him in this situation I can't say I would allow her to ever go near that forum ever again, but I don't think I would call Ol'Sarge up...but what can you do, what is done is done. Everyone here is gonna miss you, hopefully you can sort this out, not just with the father, but also so you can keep your family at ease, I truly feel bad for you as you absolutely don't deserve what is happening to you right now.

As someone who's been in deep, deep trouble before, I can half way sympathize with you. I've never been accused of pedophilia and I hope I never do. But I can say I feel your pain being "banished" in some form or another. I really can't believe something like this happened in a MY LITTLE PONY forum! If that really is a father of an 8 year old girl, he knows nothing about the real danger outside of forums like these.

MLP forums the best behaved forums on the internet, and I've been around to all kinds of forums around the internet. Gaming forums of all kinds, sports forums, tech forums, music forums,.... less reputable forums... The point is you will never find a better group of people than those inside these forums.

I'd trust my life with most everybody on mlpforums!

Let's see, there's Feld0 who we all know we can trust because he honestly uses the donations we give the site. Why else would I give him 630$?

Then there's Crispy who posts only to contribute to the thread and in a positive way! I trust him.

Mal (starbolt) who loves Twilight sparkle in the best way! His love for ponies overflows to all us fans! I trust him.

Shankveld with her pink text! If you are lucky enough to get a visit by her to your thread, it brightens up your day! I trust her.

All the mods and admins who put up with our crap in the name of ponies! I trust each of them.

Lady Rarity Pony is one of the best posters on the site! Not only does his avatars rule, but also everything he has to say! I trust him.

Pinkazoid, there isn't a better reincarnation of Pinkie Pie on Earth! You are the definition of the smile song! I trust her.

Vinyl Blade has caught my eye ever since he came on the forums for some reason. He doesn't have anything bad to say about anypony and is one of the coolest members on the site! I trust him.

Then there's all my friends on my profile, I allow one way friend confirmation because I trust all of you!

There are so many members on this site, I could spend all day explaining why I trust the lot of you. But I'll explain what makes ol' sarge trustworthy.

Sarge is relatively new to the forums, just a little over a month. From what I've read over that time, I can tell he's just a guy who likes guy things... oh and something called MLP of course :) I've been on the forums for more than double him, and he already has about the same amount of posts as I. They aren't just cheap posts either, each of them have value. The bronydom in you is strong, and I can tell you have passion for what many are afraid to commit towards. You openly apologized and took responsibility for something that was 100% not your fault. That takes a pair to do, even if it is just the internet. Also, apparently you told your wife about it which means you don't hide things from her, a very honorable thing which a lot of men don't do. I trust you, ol' Sarge!

Everyone here has my personal endorsement of trust! Especially Sarge here! The next time somebody comes accusing you of wrongdoing like this, just know I've got your back. Take it from someone who's life was saved from Bronys like Ol' Sarge! And I don't say that lightly at all.

So to Sarge I say this. Just let time be your healer, this will probably blow over if you wait it out. But let's say push comes to shove and you get arrested. I'll personally see to it that we get a donation account set up for you to make sure you and your family gets through it alright. We've got your back Sarge!

Best wishes!

Edited by My little pwny
  • Brohoof 6

IANAL, but...

There are multiple laws stating that for one to be penalized for engaging in such activities with a minor, the minor must have truthful verification of their age shown.

Also...

http://www.enotes.com/family-law-reference/parent-liability-child-s-act

http://www.personalinjurylawyer.com/legal-advice/defamation-libel-slander-fines.htm

http://www.spectacle.org/freespch/musm/libel.html

As you see, the parent is therefore responsible for this all, the child may not be part of consequences. However, he's fully open for libel. This is definitive libel, untruthful sabotage of one's reputation for personal reasons and to cause harm rather than to spill the truth.

You would have no case if he hadn't have said he was out to "ruin your life".

Too bad he did. Now he's open for libel.

And that's going to cause him a lot more pain than it'll cause you. I'd call a lawyer, explain your situation, and see what they think for a better understanding of what you can sue for, confirm that you can sue, etc.

I say you sue the bastard's ass to kingdom come over this.

And on another note, unrelated to legal consequences, I'm very sorry to see this happen to you. Best wishes whether you go for the jugular against him, or shrug it off and move on.

• Brohoof 1

yeah, the rule has already been made, if you're below 13 you can't see the forums, sadly many good mature members have been suspended because of it :

its a shame they couldn't let everyone who was already a member stay, and just have it like "all new members have to click a check box agreeing theyre 13+" or something. and if such is found they lied to join, they get banned. something like that. its sad that people who were members already who had nothing to do with this drama had to suffer the consequences.