Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Roller Coaster Enthusiast thread

Dusty Soul

This is the best amusement park advertisement ever! Also, the theme is obviously friendship, because friendship is magic! Anyone here been to Lagoon? I always thought it looked like a beautiful park with some cool roller coasters!

• Brohoof 1

i just got back from six flags great america last night so much fun. it was my first time as well, the raging bull was awesome, but the superman was my favorite. but cedar point has the best coasters in the world millennium force, made me cry when i was like 13, not balling but right before the drop i was tearing up.

6 flags is great, and I actually have a season pass. Goliath is probably my favorite ride. I haven't been on the new one with the inverted loop, but I plan on doing that next time I go.

6 flags is great, and I actually have a season pass. Goliath is probably my favorite ride. I haven't been on the new one with the inverted loop, but I plan on doing that next time I go.

No offence, but as a roller coaster enthusiast, this could be interpreted in so many ways! There are 13 Six Flags parks, 5 of which have rides named "Goliath", and a large number of them have multiple loops (not sure what an "inverted loop" means though).
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Lol this thread is awesome, rollercoasters are god's gift (and engineers/physicists gift) to humanity!

Anyways what were yall's first roller coasters? My first was the Poltergeist in Fiesta Texas <3

Also i really want to go back to Fiesta Texas, i'm dying to go on dat Iron Rattler.... by any chance has anyone been on it yet? It looks beautiful.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

So, I love roller coasters. I've wanted to create this for a while and now I'm finally getting around to getting this put on. This is for all things roller coasters. Post ride memories, new rides, creations in roller coaster games, and other things related to roller coasters. So, anyone hear about that new ride coming to Cedar Point in 2013.

I went to CP a few years ago and I'd easily go back just to ride Gatekeeper.

I rode almost every coaster there (save for a few because I ran out of time), but my favorite was definitely Top Thrill Dragster. No other coaster will ever intimidate me after riding that thing. My second favorite? Millennium Force.

Edited by mesogears

I rode almost every coaster there (save for a few because I ran out of time), but my favorite was definitely Top Thrill Dragster. No other coaster will ever intimidate me after riding that thing. My second favorite? Millennium Force.

Did you ride Maverick? I would argue that it's the best coaster there, even though I've never been to Cedar Point! I can just tell... 

• Brohoof 1

This is the best amusement park advertisement ever! Also, the theme is obviously friendship, because friendship is magic! Anyone here been to Lagoon? I always thought it looked like a beautiful park with some cool roller coasters!

Never been to Lagoon, but it looks like a very nice park.  I like smaller parks that don't really get that much attention.  It makes for a very beautiful park.

Lol this thread is awesome, rollercoasters are god's gift (and engineers/physicists gift) to humanity!

Anyways what were yall's first roller coasters? My first was the Poltergeist in Fiesta Texas <3

Also i really want to go back to Fiesta Texas, i'm dying to go on dat Iron Rattler.... by any chance has anyone been on it yet? It looks beautiful.

My first roller coaster was the Howler at Holiday World.  I was 6, and  I was so frightened by that I stopped riding them until I turned 10.  Though I was so scared of them I tried to learn everything about them.  I eventually became the person everyone came to when they had a question about roller coasters.  

I haven't been on Iron Rattler, but I am going to go on Hades 360 in about 2 weeks.

• Brohoof 1

Did you ride Maverick? I would argue that it's the best coaster there, even though I've never been to Cedar Point! I can just tell... 

Yes. It was probably my third favorite coaster there. However, I had to wait in a very long line; thankfully, the famous dancing guy was also in line.

I went on X-Flight at Six Flags Great America. That was pretty awesome, but the line wasn't worth the wait. I also went on the Demon six times in a row. (That thing messes with your head if you go on it enough). I also went on the Viper. That ride is pretty awesome. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh thank goodness this thread is still alive! I was seriously worried that I might have killed it a couple months ago! If you don't know what I mean, just take a look at the time that passed between my last post and the one after that.

Oh thank goodness this thread is still alive! I was seriously worried that I might have killed it a couple months ago! If you don't know what I mean, just take a look at the time that passed between my last post and the one after that.

I honestly forgot about this thread XD, whats really sad is that I made it.  I'm glad it came back.  

I went to CP a few years ago and I'd easily go back just to ride Gatekeeper.

I  want to ride Gatekeeper so very badly.  I also want to get on those other two.  

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely love rollercoasters! I've had a gold pass to King's Island for the past few years now and I go every chance I get. I've ridden every adult ride there a good 20+ times. My personal favorites being the Diamondback, Vortex, Flight of Fear, and Beast roller coasters.

post-18260-0-53747800-1374793092.jpgDiamondback

post-18260-0-66918300-1374793220_thumb.jpgVortex

post-18260-0-95956300-1374793179_thumb.jpgBeast

post-18260-0-41314700-1374793269.jpgFlight of Fear

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I'm actually going to Kings Island next month!  Diamondback is definitely my favorite B&M.  Beast was just freaking scary, especially the tunnel with the helix.  One thing I love about Kings Island is that the lines are so short all the time.  I thought Vortex was insanely rough to tell the truth.  I liked the first drop then nothing else.  All the other rides there though are so good.   Oh, and thanks for resurrecting this thread.

So as it turns out I'm going to 3 theme parks this year, Mount Olympus (Which I went to a week ago), Indiana Beach, and Kings Island.  It's a good year for me ^_^  .

Some thoughts on the roller coasters at Mount Olympus

Hades 360 is my favorite wooden coaster now.  It is just insane.  It hauls ass all the way through till the end.  There really is no break.  The underground segment is very rough still, but it makes up for it in how out of control it is, it reminds me of the Beast's helix section.  I loved the corkscrew, there is a part of the inversion where I honestly thought I was going to hit the supports.  It takes a 75 ft drop right out of the station, so there is some airtime right off the bat.  That's another thing this coaster did very well.  

I give it a solid 8/10  

Cyclops was awful as many have told me.  It is the roughest coaster I've ever been on.  The worst part was when it was at it's highest point where it drops into a slightly banked curve.  Up there you just know it's going to be a very painful experience.  I can see why you have to be 18 to ride in the back car of the ride.  Any younger and you would be knocked unconscious by how aggressive this ride really is.  

3/10

Zeus was actually very smooth, and very awesome.  After the first drop it's your standard out and back coaster.  Though one thing caught be off guard, and that was the lateral g's.  I was so frightened about falling out the side of the ride I actually held on the other side of the lap bar.  The airtime is phenomenal.  It is my favorite out and back coaster.

7/10

The park itself was very sub-par.  It had almost no bathrooms, and it was very small.  If we hadn't gone to the water park I would have been very disappointed.  The water park was very good.  I wasn't able to go to the second part behind the indoor theme park, because my brother was complaining about walking.  Oh, and there was no where to cool off if one isn't riding anything.  There really is no shade in the water-park, so if your in bear feet they will get raw.  

6/10 

Overall I've seen better parks, but if one is to go to this park they need to make sure to buy lots of water (because carry-ins aren't allowed) and have some sort of foot-wear in the water park.  I would recommend it to someone who either is a BIG fan of water parks, or Roller coasters and no one else. 

Edited by Dusty Soul
  • Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, new roller coaster record broken recently guys. They built The Smiler, which has a ridiculous 13 inversions. Snatched the record for most inversions on a coaster from Colossus. It's a two-hour train journey up to Alton Towers to ride it, so I'm gearing to go and do that eventually :lol: 

Speaking of inversions, do you guys have a preferred type? I love inverted zero-G rolls. 

• Brohoof 1

I can agree with you that the vortex is a bit rough however it is nearing 30 years old XD. If you ride the beast again, get a seat near the back. It moves around like crazy which is horrifying but also adds to to excitement.  Be sure to check out Flight of Fear as well. Fully indoors with near no lighting during many parts of the ride. Oh the fun.

Oh yeah, new roller coaster record broken recently guys. They built The Smiler, which has a ridiculous 13 inversions. Snatched the record for most inversions on a coaster from Colossus. It's a two-hour train journey up to Alton Towers to ride it, so I'm gearing to go and do that eventually     Speaking of inversions, do you guys have a preferred type? I love inverted zero-G rolls.

I heard of the smiler, but I really wasn't interested until I saw the trains.  They are beautiful.  I also am a sucker for rides with good scenery and the smiler has just that.  

As for favorite inversions, I'm going to go with either the cobra roll or the Flying snake dive.  The filying snake dive is only on Storm Runner at Hershypark and man is it awesome!

800px-Storm_Runner_Snake_Dive.jpg

I can agree with you that the vortex is a bit rough however it is nearing 30 years old XD. If you ride the beast again, get a seat near the back. It moves around like crazy which is horrifying but also adds to to excitement.  Be sure to check out Flight of Fear as well. Fully indoors with near no lighting during many parts of the ride. Oh the fun.

Yeah, I guess I'm just not a fan of Arrow Corkscrews.  I will have to try to do that next time.  I went on Flight of Fear, but the lights were on.  It was pretty awesome, and it was also very cool to be riding a piece of coaster history.

Rollercoasters are my favorite parts of any amusement park. I just can't understand people that go to an amusement park, but don't want to ride the coasters, in my opinion, you're blowing your money, if you don't want to get the full experience of the park you expensively paid for. Well, enough of that....I live in Florida, so I feel blessed how easy it is to go to a park. I've been to every park close here like Universal Studios, Disney, Bush Gardens and Sea World. My favorite Rollercoasters are The Kumba at Bush Gardens( insane number of flips o_O), Sheikra probably one of the tallest rollercoasters I've ever been on, the no matter the size of the line, it will still take you quite a long while just to climb up there.( also Bush Gardens) Universal's Rip-Ride Rocket rollercoaster is great in the speed and twists it manages to make, plus you get to choose a music genre, artist, then song to listen to while on the ride!!!! :-P The Mummy is one of my favorites, but not as a rollercoaster( which is still awesome), but as a ride itself. Universal's rides are mostly made up of movies, so the ride was indoors, in a barely lit temple, and it was SO theatrical, there was fire, you get launched backwards( and downwards) once a huge pile of scarab beetles start speeding towards you. Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom is also one of my favorites. The ride starts out with one or two lights, but after ten seconds it is PITCH BLACK you dont see whats happening, but you feel it and you love it!!!!! :-D Well, those are most of my favorite rollercoasters I've ever been on!!!!! Ya gotz to love dem rolla-costas!!!! :-P

• Brohoof 4

I went to six flags a few days ago. I never went on a real roller coaster, so I went on goliath first cause it was the biggest ride. After that I loved it :D I was scared to go on a few rides like Tatsu and Riddlers Revenge, but they all turn out the same! I rode them anyways and now I want to go on every single coaster :D

• Brohoof 3

Rollercoasters are my favorite parts of any amusement park. I just can't understand people that go to an amusement park, but don't want to ride the coasters, in my opinion, you're blowing your money, if you don't want to get the full experience of the park you expensively paid for. Well, enough of that....I live in Florida, so I feel blessed how easy it is to go to a park. I've been to every park close here like Universal Studios, Disney, Bush Gardens and Sea World. My favorite Rollercoasters are The Kumba at Bush Gardens( insane number of flips o_O), Sheikra probably one of the tallest rollercoasters I've ever been on, the no matter the size of the line, it will still take you quite a long while just to climb up there.( also Bush Gardens) Universal's Rip-Ride Rocket rollercoaster is great in the speed and twists it manages to make, plus you get to choose a music genre, artist, then song to listen to while on the ride!!!! :-P The Mummy is one of my favorites, but not as a rollercoaster( which is still awesome), but as a ride itself. Universal's rides are mostly made up of movies, so the ride was indoors, in a barely lit temple, and it was SO theatrical, there was fire, you get launched backwards( and downwards) once a huge pile of scarab beetles start speeding towards you. Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom is also one of my favorites. The ride starts out with one or two lights, but after ten seconds it is PITCH BLACK you dont see whats happening, but you feel it and you love it!!!!! :-D Well, those are most of my favorite rollercoasters I've ever been on!!!!! Ya gotz to love dem rolla-costas!!!! :-P

I agree; roller coasters is what makes an amusement park what it is. It's one of those attractions that will make you come back for more. I can understand if you have a weak stomach, or you actually can't ride the coasters or mild attractions because of a health condition, but if you come to a park, see a coaster, and say "omg that's too big, steep, etc," then you won't enjoy yourself as you could have if you would've ridden it.

Also, do anyone else get annoyed when people say they won't ride a ride just because it's made out of wood? I LOVE wooden coasters; I tried to make my friend ride a dueling wooden coaster at Carowinds some weeks ago (Thunder road to be specific), and he freaked out because it was made out of wood, and because it's an old attraction; he ended up crying when we got to the brake run though (which i'll admit, was pretty funny) 

• Brohoof 3

I live around half-an-hour from Busch Gardens in Florida, so I go there often. I think I've ridden all of the coasters there, including the newest one, Cheetah Hunt. My favorite is probably Shiekra; I love dive coasters.

• Brohoof 2

A couple weeks ago I went to California to visit a friend. While I was there, I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Maybe somebody can help me remember all the ones I went on...

Revolution, Tatsu, The Apocalypse, The Riddler, Batman (went out of service while we were in line)... Colossus, and I think we rode a couple others. However, we didn't ride the Viper, The Ninja or Goliath, since the lines were so monstrous by that point in the day that we didn't care to bother. However, we did ride Revolution a second time. I liked Tatsu the most.

It also gave me an idea that there ought to be something in the combination of the xkcd comic

jengacoaster.png

With the exposition interestingness of clever physicists

And making a video where a Physicist talks about physics while riding a roller coaster.

• Brohoof 1

I love roller coasters, thrill rides, and all things about amusement parks. I have had a strong love and fascination for them for a long time. Many years ago I became interested in a game called Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe. That game, along with Roller Coaster Tycoon Triple Thrill Pack became some of my favorite games of all time, and I still play them from time to time to this day.

I've considered the possibility of becoming a roller coaster designer, or getting some other job involving amusement parks in some manner. Whether or not I ever will, I don't know, but I do know that I will always enjoy riding roller coasters. So far, I've ridden all of the ones at an amusement park near me. When I'm an adult, and have enough money saved up to do so, I plan to travel around to different amusement parks to ride more roller coasters. One of the amusement parks that I want to visit the most is Cedar Point - it looks amazing, it has a ton of roller coasters, and I love its name.

• Brohoof 4

• 4 months later...

I love roller coasters, thrill rides, and all things about amusement parks. I have had a strong love and fascination for them for a long time. Many years ago I became interested in a game called Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe. That game, along with Roller Coaster Tycoon Triple Thrill Pack became some of my favorite games of all time, and I still play them from time to time to this day.

I've considered the possibility of becoming a roller coaster designer, or getting some other job involving amusement parks in some manner. Whether or not I ever will, I don't know, but I do know that I will always enjoy riding roller coasters. So far, I've ridden all of the ones at an amusement park near me. When I'm an adult, and have enough money saved up to do so, I plan to travel around to different amusement parks to ride more roller coasters. One of the amusement parks that I want to visit the most is Cedar Point - it looks amazing, it has a ton of roller coasters, and I love its name.

Ahh, yes. Roller Coaster Tycoon, so many memories.

Many experimental coasters were made, many "evil" parks where i trapped the guests in and left dangerous, killer rides unfixed. Favorite thing i made was a coaster with 6 loops connected on top of each other. I called it Chain Reaction xD Or Loopception

I actually learned alot about roller coasters from that game, like all the terminology and stuff.

Also, I'm heading back to six flags tomorrow, woo! :lol: Gonna finally ride that Iron Rattler that i was talking about :yay:

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 2