Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Roller Coaster Enthusiast thread

Dusty Soul

I didn't get a chance to go to Lakeside when I was in Denver. I kind of wish I did, but that will have to wait for another trip.

And I don't know if I just had a bad ride or what, but Twister 2 was one of the most painful coasters that I have been on.

Never been to Lakeside, it is one of those parks many people over-look. Next time I go to Colorado I'm going to Lakeside. Twister 2 is a really painful ride. I think it rivaled even Grizzly in roughness.

It's much more of a nice visual than a nice ride. Seriously wish they stuck with the original layout instead of rebuilding it as this neutered mess.

Take it from a (semi) local, Lakeside's Cyclone a few miles down the 70 provides a much better ride IMO.

Posted Image

Every time I got on that thing I felt like I was going to die. My grandma said she was there one night when somebody fell off the top of it. 0_o

Changing the subject, but have you seen those really spread out coasters in Japan (jet coasters). Seriously those things are really cool looking. They have that old RCT look to them. I really want to ride on really bad.Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

I'm proud to say that, yes, I have been to Lakeside many times. It's such a nice park, and Cyclone is just amazing!

I agree with Dusty on the Jet Coasters. Most people say they look lame, but I think they still look fun. Sometimes, it's not so much about the white-knuckle thrills as it is about just having an adventure.

Exactly, the way the track has the catwalks throughout the entire ride. The awesome views you can have on them. My only complaint is that they run the chain lifts so slow...

Speaking of coasters that take you on adventures, here's one I really want to ride! It's Dragon Mountain MarineLand near the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Looks like a blast, but yet I've rarely even heard it mentioned...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01INyiY9FA

I actually have never heard of this park until last year...but I think that it has some of the coolest looking trains.

Speaking of coasters that take you on adventures, here's one I really want to ride! It's Dragon Mountain MarineLand near the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Looks like a blast, but yet I've rarely even heard it mentioned...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01INyiY9FA

I've heard of this ride... It looks just awesome. The entrance is just epic. The thing is they never finished the themeing...

I've only ever been to Cedar Point, but I've been there four times now. The Magnum is my absolute favorite, but I also really like the Raptor. The Mean Streak is so freaking rickety now it just becomes a chore. I've never been afraid of roller coasters, but I never had the guts to ride the Millenium Force (the long lines had something to do with it too).

• Brohoof 1

Millennium Force was one of the best rides that I have ever been on! If you get the chance to go again soon, then I would definitely go there first...even if you are scared (but hey, that's just part of the fun right?) Trust me, you won't regret it! :)

Edited by coastercrutchfield

Not too long ago I cam from Six Flags New England and it was so amazing! Especially this rollercoaster called Bizarro it was probably the biggest drop i've ever been in!

Posted Image

Then There's goliath which felt so amazing, especially going backwards after going foward!

Posted Image

But since im from Florida There's also the Hulk from Universal Studios and Sheikra

Hulk:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjdYQJc748

Sheikra:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFZ_hve5K2s

Edited by Jibus
  • Brohoof 1

I actually had an interesting adventure at Cedar Point once. The Corkscrew is now the scariest roller coaster to me now. Just as the ride was starting, the seatbuckle snapped. I had to hold on for dear life, I'm just glad it didn't happen on the Magnum or one of the other coasters. I'd have a few more bruises and more money in my bank account.

I actually had an interesting adventure at Cedar Point once. The Corkscrew is now the scariest roller coaster to me now. Just as the ride was starting, the seatbuckle snapped. I had to hold on for dear life, I'm just glad it didn't happen on the Magnum or one of the other coasters. I'd have a few more bruises and more money in my bank account.

Man that happened to me on Blue Streak... The lap bar became loose, and I had to force hold it down. That was the scariest ride of my life...

@@Dusty Soul, That's pretty crazy, the Mean Streak is already rickety enough. I rode on it once the last time I was there and just gave up going on it ever again. I rode the Magnum 5 or 6 times though, it's always good to ride on that coaster.

@,

Yeah Mean Streak is a pretty rough ride. Though I think it is underrated. Magnum is a freaking awesome ride. The first ride over 200 feet tall. What more could you want?

@,

Yeah Mean Streak is a pretty rough ride. Though I think it is underrated. Magnum is a freaking awesome ride. The first ride over 200 feet tall. What more could you want?

Actually, Moonsault Scramble was the first roller coaster to top 200 feet in height! Most people, even enthusiasts, don't know that! Although, out of roller coasters in operation, Magnum is the first.

Actually, Moonsault Scramble was the first roller coaster to top 200 feet in height! Most people, even enthusiasts, don't know that! Although, out of roller coasters in operation, Magnum is the first.

Wow, I have never seen that ride before :blink:

Looks very painful though...but then again, it is a Vekoma

I hope this is 100 characters

(edited)

Really? o_O wow... I've been wrong about that for around 2 years now... Thanks for telling me that. I've heard of Moonsault Scramble, but I had no idea it was over 200 feet tall. Edited by Dusty Soul
  • Brohoof 1

Well, this is a theme park thread... so I guess I will post some theme park related news...

The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is getting a new spinning coaster called Undertow for 2013.

Posted Image

Posted Image

NEW Boardwalk Thrill Ride!

Buckle up for some unexpected thrills on the only spinning coaster in Northern California! Undertow's crazy turns and sudden drops will push you to the edge… and back!

Catch your breath and try it again because Undertow’s unique design ensures that no two rides are ever the same. Start facing forward or start facing backward, depending on the weight and position of riders, your speed and rotation change every time!

Ride Description

The fun begins with the first drop as riders scream downhill in a disorienting sideways position at speeds of up to 40 mph.

In the Immelmann Turn, the track takes a sharp 80° bank as you find yourself staring straight up at the sky or straight down at the ground depending on your position in the car at any given moment.

A 360° carousel spin, a slalom section, and plenty of sharp curves will keep you wondering which way is up!

Technical Data:

- Track length: 1410 ft.

- Height: 50 ft.

- Cars: 4-seater, spinning

- Number of cars: 7

- Capacity: 900 pph

- Base area: 147 x 75 ft.

• Brohoof 1

Well, this is a theme park thread... so I guess I will post some theme park related news...

The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is getting a new spinning coaster called Undertow for 2013.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh that looks awesome! It's about time Santa Cruze got a new ride. I'm happy for them and I hope that ride goes over well... Man that looks awesome.

Here is the new wooden coaster for 2013 called Gold Striker at California's Great America in Santa Clara, California!

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- California's Great America will open the tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in Northern California in the spring of 2013.

High-speed twists, turns, drops, station fly-by and the Old West are the top features of Gold Striker, currently under construction at Northern California's leading thrill park and family destination. The ride will stand 108 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 103 feet at a 50-degree angle. Riders will careen along 3,197 feet of track at speeds up to 54 miles per hour. The ride experience on Gold Striker will last more than two heart-pounding minutes.

"Gold Striker reflects our commitment to providing our guests with the best thrills and entertainment value in the region," California's Great America Vice-President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg said. "This ride was uniquely designed by melding together the highest performing and most exciting features of the very best wooden roller coasters in the world. Everyone who enjoys the thrills of riding a roller coaster will want to experience Gold Striker."

The name of the ride was chosen to recognize the pioneering and adventurous spirit of the California gold-seekers who rushed the area in 1849.

Gold Striker will be located in the Celebration Plaza area of California's Great America and will be the park's eighth roller coaster. The ride will wrap around the park's Star Tower attraction.

Gold Striker is custom designed and built for the topography of California's Great America by Great Coasters International, Inc. (GCI) of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Two trains will accommodate 24 passengers each (four riders per car and six cars per train) with a capacity of 850 riders per hour. Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride.

Those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on Gold Striker at cagreatamerica.com. Visitors of cagreatamerica.com may also access exclusive Gold Striker updates and features, including virtual ride renderings, ride statistics, construction photos and a live construction Web cam.

California's Great America is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to California's Great America, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels, including Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park, Calif. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1-JyJu0nAo&feature=g-u-u

Facts and figures:

* Track length: 3,197 ft

* First drop: 103.3 ft (track height at top of hill minus track height at bottom of first drop)

* Top speed: 53.7 mph

* Ride time: 2 minutes, 30 seconds (measured from station start to station stop)

* Trains: 2 Millennium Flyer trains, 24 riders per train

* Capacity: Approximately 850 pph

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by coastercrutchfield
  • Brohoof 2

Here is the new wooden coaster for 2013 called Gold Striker at California's Great America in Santa Clara, California!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1-JyJu0nAo&feature=g-u-u

Facts and figures:

* Track length: 3,197 ft

* First drop: 103.3 ft (track height at top of hill minus track height at bottom of first drop)

* Top speed: 53.7 mph

* Ride time: 2 minutes, 30 seconds (measured from station start to station stop)

* Trains: 2 Millennium Flyer trains, 24 riders per train

* Capacity: Approximately 850 pph

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Holy crap that looks insane. The layout looks really good and then you have the speed. This looks just epic. It looks like a bunch of head choppers. Just looks awesome.
  • Brohoof 1

Holy crap that looks insane. The layout looks really good and then you have the speed. This looks just epic. It looks like a bunch of head choppers. Just looks awesome.

I know! This looks like it could be the best GCI coaster to date! Though I still can't wait for tomorrow! Hopefully Six Flags can bring out some awesome new stuff (fingers crossed).