Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Nintendo Power shutting down

SPLinux

So looks like news broke yesterday that the Nintendo Power Magazine will be shutting down production and it's final issue will be the December 2012 issue.

Nintendo Power started in 1988 and is one of the longest lasting video game magazines ever, after seeing all of these magazines go its sad to see Nintendo Power go as well...

There may be a small chance it could continue digitally however, only a small chance.

Any thoughts? Memories about Nintendo Power?

How does everyone feel about this?

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 1

Its gonna be sad to see it gone, but there's a possibility it will come back to life. I don't think it can stay dead for too long.

But there's a lot of websites out there where you can get your Nintendo news and reviews, so I don't think NP was making as much money as it could have. Its a side effect of the Internet's popularity.

I'll still remember all the memories I had with the magazine. It was a blast!

• Brohoof 2

It's sad to see that Nintendo Power won't be continuing its content upon the more recent works of Nintendo, its third-party support, its accessories and its reviews. I wasn't a big collector of these issues, but I got a few. But surely, I'll get the final issue when it is released.

Printed media was having trouble already with the internet. I subscribed to Nintendo power for 12 months a while ago. To be honest I didn't like it as much because it seemed they were always bias towards first party games.

It is shocking to hear this news, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Brohoof 1

Nintendo goes down and down and down :C

They've got huge losses on the sims games lately.

I've never heard of that magazinge.

I don't read Nintendo Power (I go for Game Informer, but I should mention that I've never really given NP a chance, I just stick with GI cuz it's what comes with a subscription to Power-Up Rewards at Gamestop) however I know the pain of a magazine shutting down. Anime Insider was one of my favorite magazines and they shut down a few years ago. :(

Yes I heard about this too, it makes me inda sad, Nintendo has been my fave game company since I was little and now they shuttin' nintendo Power down, its kinda depressing, hope this doesnt affect the company in anyway, and hope they at least replace it with something better, may the power of theTriforce be with chu foreva!!! >:o

Nintendo is drifting further and further away from their loyal fans that have sticked with them since the 80's, and focusing towards the casuals who play Wii Fit once a week.

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant business model, but it's ruining their reputation. :/

• Brohoof 2

I used to read the hay out of Nintendo Power ages ago, but as they kept dropping more and more of what I liked, my interest waned. While this doesn't really effect me because I'd already lost interest in it, it's still kinda sad to see such a long-running magazine bite the dust, though with the internet and such, it's no big surprise.

Back in the older days, when Nintendo had more difficult games (NOT A NOSTALGIA GOGGLES THING, JUST STATING FACT) there was more of a need for the magazine, what with tips for games and such actually being helpful, and the audience they were going for one with enough of an interest to read it.

But, in recent years, Nintendo has shifted their focus to casuals, and most of the games on modern Nintendo systems are easier, when compared to games on systems like the NES and SNES. (YET AGAIN STATING FACT HERE. The casual market wants instant gratification. That's the whole reason casual games exist) The thing is, casuals don't play video games as much as normal gamers, it's just a pick-up-the-controller-and-watch-the-funny-guy-on-the-screen-bake-a-cake thing. So, they aren't going to be interested to take the time to read a magazine, read about future releases, and just care about the magazine in general. When a game they want goes on shelves, they just see it and go "Oh, there's another one of those games with the funny guy who bakes cakes!"

Nintendo Power is a bit of a piece of Nintendo's history, but well, stuff changes. With technological advancements like the internet, things become obsolete. Magazines aimed at the young, such as gaming magazines, probably won't be around too much longer because when people need help with a game, they just Google a FAQ or something. And there's no shortage of gaming entertainment sites out there. Just imagine I made every word in that last sentence a link to a gaming website. I was going to, but I'm lazy.

Magazines aimed toward older people, like gardening magazines, will probably be around for many years, since they're aimed at older people who don't know how to use this newfangled internet thing. However, when our generation's the one who are the "old people" then magazines are done for. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Them feels....... :C

I love nintendo power and Ive been a subscriber since 2004. I guess now is a good time to get Game Informer.

I know all the news is on the web but I just loved getting a Nintendo power every year :)

Seriously? :(

Oh well, I suppose the internet was just too much competition for them after all. Ive never been a subscriber myself, but I did pick up a copy every now and then. I sincerely hope they continue through digital distribution and take advantage of technologies that couldn't work on paper outside of Harry Potter.

Edited by Celtore

NO! I FEEL TEARS GOING DOWN MY EYES! OH GOD WHY! WHY WHY WHY!!!

It was the ONLY Magazine I bought a long time ago. AND NOW IT'S GOING TO DISAPPEAR FOREVER!!! WHY! WHY! WHY!

I never read it, I don't think it is smart to read reviews for games for the system that the magazine owns. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I remember when GoldenEye and Pokemon Blue and Red dominated their game charts for over a year. I don't think any first-person shooter with multiplayer capability was ever as beloved or as popular as GoldenEye---save perhaps for Team Fortress 2.

Nintendo Power had some pretty awful reviews, though. Because they would exclusively cover Nintendo games, they had a tendency to gush over their own products. I don't recall a game ever receiving a score lower than 5. (I can't remember if they scaled games from 1 to 5 or 1 to 10, but I'm pretty sure it is the latter.) In short, you weren't going to receive a lot of impartial information. It was Nintendo's advertising magazine, so I suppose that is expected.

Still, I have generally fond memories of gathering issues of Nintendo Power. I suppose the decline of print media forced Nintendo to abandon the magazines. I doubt it was very much worth reading nowadays. In truth, I haven't read an issue since 2001. (Speaking of those days, remember when they were planning a Conker game in the same vein as Banjo-Kazooie, only to come out with Coker's Bad Fur Day? Good times.)

That sucks majorly, I loved Nintendo Power, subscribed for a long time and have tons of issues, it'll be sad to see it go. :(

Nintendo is drifting further and further away from their loyal fans that have sticked with them since the 80's, and focusing towards the casuals who play Wii Fit once a week.

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant business model, but it's ruining their reputation. :/

Well maybe that's true from a marketing standpoint, but Nintendo has released a ton of great hardcore games this generation, and Wii U looks like it will deliver even more hardcore titles. But really, this thread is about the shutting down of a magazine about Nintendo, it doesn't have much to do with Nintendo itself(at least not anymore). :huh:

Yeah, I never read Nintendo Power all that much save for when I was at Book-a-Million or some other book store. Still though I'm sad to see it go. Ah screw it this is for you Nintendo Power.

I've read NP for six or so years. Goes without saying it isn't exactly a reliable source of reviewing (Though frankly the same goes for video game reviews in general. I'd rather get input from people I know on whether a game's worth a shot) and that as a source of info it's pretty much moot with the Internet around. But I loved the highlighting of wonderful fan works near the end of each issue.

• Brohoof 1