Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Microsoft got a new logo

Jokuc

Microsoft's logo  

90 users have voted

1. 1. Which logo do you like the most?

lol poor 1982 logo, nopony here has voted for it. I think it's a pretty good design actually xD

..Well nopony has voted for it.. yet

The 1987 logo is the most nostalgic for me and I certainly prefer it over the new one. The new styling, like many have mentioned, is way too simple and looks like it was done in 3 minutes using gimp.

(Seriously, no offence to gimp users. I use it too)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Celtore, Gimp.. ew :unsure:

Haha well it shouldn't really matter how long it took or what program it was made in. I could make something in ms pain(t) in just 2 mins and still make it look cool you know :P

Edited by Mr. Nibblers

I like the new logo a lot more than the past ones. It's like they finally hired someone to actually design one rather than just picking a font in word. Minimalism and clean designs are becoming more and more popular, but hopefully they also follow the mentality in addition to the design aspect. Minimalism centers around the idea of content is king, one without the other is just stupid. We will just have to wait and see what Windows 8 is like at release.

Seems no one likes the 1982 one. Forever alone.

I actually like the 82' the most out of all of them

I like the older logos of most companies today, the whole "modern/simplistic" look is kinda meh in my opinion

Edited by bluetrace

I don't have anything against the new logo but I consider it to be pretty stupid. I guess the for shapes should mirror the Windows logo, which makes absolutely no sense. It's true Microsoft owns Windows. But it seems like Windows is their only product, which it definitely is not.

And I'm personally not a friend of logos that cannot be put in black & white...

We will just have to wait and see what Windows 8 is like at release.

I've tried the new Windows 8. It is very different from every operating system made before, and the new logo looks like it is based off of the new Start Menu. It boots up like a beast too. Hit the power button and you're pretty much ready to go.

@@shotoku, Windows 8 has this weird new "start menu" too. I don't really like that. Though I've heard that Samsung is making a program for it that will allow you to get your old windows 7/vista start menu back :)

I don't have anything against the new logo but I consider it to be pretty stupid. I guess the for shapes should mirror the Windows logo, which makes absolutely no sense. It's true Microsoft owns Windows. But it seems like Windows is their only product, which it definitely is not.

And I'm personally not a friend of logos that cannot be put in black & white...

Posted Image

B)

LOL, sorry. I just had to. If you desaturate it based on luminosity, you can at least tell that they were supposed to be four different colours.

• Brohoof 1

Posted Image

B)

LOL, sorry. I just had to. If you desaturate it based on luminosity, you can at least tell that they were supposed to be four different colours.

Well, if you wanna use it as case engraving like Apple does with it's logo on Macs, iPhones and iPods there is only one grey...

That logo would actually look like four same color, same size boxes...

Edited by rainbovv dash

I've tried the new Windows 8. It is very different from every operating system made before, and the new logo looks like it is based off of the new Start Menu. It boots up like a beast too. Hit the power button and you're pretty much ready to go.

Yah I've talked to several people who have started developing apps for it and they seem to like it. I would like it even more if they made the entire system based on the metro start menu rather than having both and feeling like the menu was a tablet UI bolted over the PC ui. (which i pretty much is, but meh)

I don't really mind all this minimalist stuff if it's not TOO... minimal. It can look pretty good if done right. But this? Jeez... It looks positively terrible, imo. The squares, sure, but that basic, basic font? I don't like it at all. 1987 logo all the way.

That said, I quite like the 1982 one, reminds me of Metallica... Lol. Wouldn't fit anymore, though, with how society has changed.

But now when I play my Xbox games, I'm going to see this new logo when starting some of them up? Probably with some simple fade from white? Gah...

Edited by Mu Nova

So Microsoft is dumbing-down everything, including their company's logo. Being a Linux guy and one who likes to keep his desktop free of clutter, I can appreciate a minimalism as much as anybody, but I find no good reason to change the logo except in order to plug a new service or product. That's obviously what they're doing in this case; the new font type and plain square logo are inspired by Metro. They didn't change the logo for the Fisher-Price-like XP or for Vista when they introduced Aero, so I'm taking the change and their timing as a desperation move, reflecting insecurity about the future of Windows 8 and the Metro interface. Well-founded insecurity I might add, as Windows 8 and the new interface are almost universally hated.

Edited by Artemis

I Like the 80' and the 87' logo the best. Though I would go with 87' for a Business cause it has just enough Minimalist that it not over the top complicated, but it seems more creative in the way the font is with the o and s.

1987 is the best in my opinion. All the ones before it are boring except the one that looks like the Metallica logo. But as I just said, it looks like the Metallica logo and therefore lacks originality. The 2012 logo looks like it just copied an older Windows logo.

|--(0)--|

techno915

i think the new one is kind of, well, boring... there just isn't much too it. it seems easy to copy, easy to forget, not eye catching... it has everything you don't want in a logo design

• Brohoof 2

It's about time that Microsoft updated their logo. Although the 1987 logo indicates forward-looking technology, the slice in the first "o" made the logo look like "Micresoft." When that happens, you've got a logo that just doesn't work. Frankly, the 1987 logo isn't all THAT good.

The 2012 logo, on the other hand, is much more refreshing and speaks of "Microsoft." It's modernized by using the four colored squares to associate itself with Windows (their flagship franchise) and a thinner, lighter font (while keeping it gray to balance the composition) to replace the black italic Helvetica with that useless slice of the "o."

Between all of the logos, the 2012 update is by far the best of the bunch. The 1982 logo did the typography and globe stylization right, but the all-caps makes it slower to read and, and there are too many lines crossing through the first "o." It would've looked much better if they reversed the stripes (from black to white) the second the lines cross into the letter or if the lines themselves made up the "o."

@, @, My post mostly defending the current Nickelodeon logo.

• Brohoof 1

It's about time that Microsoft updated their logo. Although the 1987 logo indicates forward-looking technology, the slice in the first "o" made the logo look like "Micresoft." When that happens, you've got a logo that just doesn't work. Frankly, the 1987 logo isn't all THAT good.

The 2012 logo, on the other hand, is much more refreshing and speaks of "Microsoft." It's modernized by using the four colored squares to associate itself with Windows (their flagship franchise) and a thinner, lighter font (while keeping it gray to balance the composition) to replace the black italic Helvetica with that useless slice of the "o."

Between all of the logos, the 2012 update is by far the best of the bunch. The 1982 logo did the typography and globe stylization right, but the all-caps makes it slower to read and, and there are too many lines crossing through the first "o." It would've looked much better if they reversed the stripes (from black to white) the second the lines cross into the letter or if the lines themselves made up the "o."

@, @, My post mostly defending the current Nickelodeon logo.

I understand your points. But I personally feel that they could've done more with the logo . . . it's just so plain. It's not eye-catching. There must be something they can do to make it simple and still keep the colours, but not have it be so bland, you know? I feel the same way with the Nick one. They're a bit too plain. There could be some quirky little shape or somesuch that you could at least add to the Nick one. Like, a slightly curved orange "water drop." Something that would be simple enough to not look messy, but could also play up the fun feel and be sort of a tip-of-the-hat to the previous logo.

They're just missing a little something. I appreciate and understand that they're trying to stay clear and clean, but if everyone does that, then they eventually all look the same. They still need a little more pizzazz.