Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

any good game recording software?

ParsoOfEquestria

as some of you know, I do gameplay videos on youtube. i use fraps but I don't like that it uses 50% computer usage during recording, slowing down the framerate of the game. is there any other recording software I could use? also something that doesnt leave clunky watermarks. cheers

I was going to come here and say fraps lol

As far as i am aware there are others (maybe hypercam? as the only free one if it even still exist's) but frap's you can get the full version for free if you know where to look :P

Recording program's just use that much up i'm afraid. I don't think any others eat up any less.

What are your PC's spec's?

Camtasia is another good program. But the fact is that regardless of choice [recording software or recording hardware] a decent method for data capture is not free.

I used camtasia for a while and it's pretty effective but it has a lot of unremovable bundleware that goes with it that you don't really use. (Unremovable as in you can't get rid of it unless you get rid of the recording function as well.)

You can try Bandicam. It's better than fraps. You can record up to ten minutes before it stops recording unlike fraps and Bandicam is a little bit more expensive but you won't get as much lag as fraps

Edited by Thatpony124

Fraps is one of the better ones, but it won't work on most emulated games. XSplit is one of the the best softwares for recording video footage of ANY game that plays on PC, but a couple months back it stopped being free to use. That's what my friend Cleveland and I used for all of our gameplay videos on youtube.

Examples:

I use FRAPS for all of my videos, I tried using others like Hypercam, Taksi, and CAMstudio, but I have always had better results from FRAPS. I get the occasional hick up but that's only if I forget to stop my automated antivirus scan. I have to ask what are the specs on your computer, I don't use half of my physical memory when running FRAPS, Audacity and the game I'm recording. How man FPS are you running the program at?

While I've never really used any video recording software, I've heard good things about fraps and hypercam.

Hypercam 2 doesn't have any watermarks, you can get it here.

Fraps, i record my videos using fraps and never have any framerate issues, if FPS is an issue and you are serious about making videos then upgrade your PC.

Failing Fraps you could always record it by taping a video camera or phone to your face, but that rarely works well.

• Brohoof 1

:P I'm in the same position bro, but I found a Hauppauge HD PVR box thingy lying around my house (worth like £250) So I was happy to find that today. It's supposed to be used for your Xbox and PS3 recording but you just need a couple of things to have it working fine for your PC, the best thing is that it doesn't affect the CPU in any way as it's seperate from the computer and that's why it works so well. I just need to find a cable to plug it into my computer now D: (I'm hoping to upload my MLP stepmania levels, I saw some on YouTube but they weren't the greatest)

I get lag when using fraps and FPS drop and all but I don't think thats something you can really avoid with recording of stuff unforutnately.

Sorry I can't really offer anything else then fraps. Its consuming of file size and CPU usage yeah but most recording software is.

The issue seems to be your hardware. Recording is very taxing on your system and most computers will barely be able to do it. My own rig can take a bit of beating and therefor often records in a steady 60 FPS or even 120 FPS in a lot of games.

I do recommend turning down video settings and not recording in full screen mode if you are having much difficulty. Or getting a better computer.

I think my brother use Xfire to record videos.

As for the speed, there are 2 types of recrding apps - one type saves the video while recording (takes more CPU) and 2nd type that saves it after recording (take less CPU while recording, but long time to safe afterwards), but I don't know any app of the 2nd type for Windows.