Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About Past Sins

SilverHeart

If this isn't the right spot for this post then please move it. I couldn't decide between Sugarcube Corner or the Fan fiction spot.

So I've got a question about the fanfic Past Sins. I read on the website "www.equestriapublications.org" that it's a controversial fanfic...I haven't read it yet since I'm waiting on my copy to get sent in to read it. So if somepony could tell me how it's controversial, that would be great. Is it because Nyx is a Mary Sue? (I was told she was at a panel on writing fan fiction at a con)

Nyx is not really that Mary Sue per se...

In my opinion, the uneasy parts come from where Twilight Sparkle acts very unlike herself when it's comes to Nyx's being, and how easy it is for Nyx to 'rise'.

Can't really say anything without spoiling it for you :(

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure what the major controversy over it is (if there even is any), but one thing I remember is that the story has seen at least two (possibly) three major rewrites, which managed to upset people as the story was changing after they read it. Furthermore, although I didn't start reading it until after its first major rewrite, it's my understanding that Nyx was originally very Mary Sueish.

But really, it's a very popular fic, so there's bound to be controversy - some people love it, some don't. Some people have criticized the story as being flat, predictable, etc.

• Brohoof 1

If this isn't the right spot for this post then please move it. I couldn't decide between Sugarcube Corner or the Fan fiction spot.

So I've got a question about the fanfic Past Sins. I read on the website "www.equestriapublications.org" that it's a controversial fanfic...I haven't read it yet since I'm waiting on my copy to get sent in to read it. So if somepony could tell me how it's controversial, that would be great. Is it because Nyx is a Mary Sue? (I was told she was at a panel on writing fan fiction at a con)

In the very first write of it, she was very Mary Sue; but upon getting the feedback, it was revised. I've read the story about 3 times now, and I like the final revision the most.

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

Ernahgerd, people insulting Past Sins! This is blasphemeh!

Actually though, I read Past Sins when it came ro FIMFiction without having any idea that it was well-known or "controversial." The amazing writing, emotional story arc, and complexity of the characters sucked me in and now I can honestly say it is the best story I have ever read.

...but then I scrolled to the comments section, saw bronies hating on the fic as opposed to criticizing it, and asked myself "What the buck happened to love and tolerance?!"

• Brohoof 1

I first read it a couple months ago (which would have been the, uh...3rd revision? I dunno), and it wasn't as bad as a lot of people seemed to think.

The good:

+ pacing...it's a couple hundred pages, but flows nicely

+ scope...it's fairly epic, but doesn't bite off more than it can chew

The bad:

- some characters' actions stretch the bounds of what we know/expect

- Mary Sue stigma...once you start to see Nyx as a MS, it's very hard to see her as anything but

• Brohoof 1