Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is killing a spider a sin?

Sugar Pea

(edited)

I kinda wondered this, considering most of us are afraid of these eight legged creatures. We could put them outside....but coming from somebody who attempted to harm a spider not too long ago. >.< I mean, it could've been poisonous for all I know. I feel bad about killing it, I always tell a spider "I'm sorry" before squashing it. u-u 
Yes, I feel remorse for a freaky spider...

Is killing a spider basically murder, since we are taking it's life? Or is it necessary to ease our discomfort and possible safety?

Edited by Princess PeachBlink
  • Brohoof 1

Ehhhhhhhh. I wouldn't call it a sin so to speak. Or murder really to be honest. Well okay maybe murder in a sense, but yeah it could be a thing for safety if it's poisonous I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

[This post is hidden. No offense to anyone, but I am no longer part of the community and no longer wish to be an (active) part of the forums. I treasure the friendships I made along the way. Thank you!]

Edited by CadetGrey
  • Brohoof 3

Not a sin per say, but still a bad idea. Spiders do nothing but good. Even putting them out can be a bad idea, depending on area, as in some places they may well die due to cold. Just leave them alone, and they will continue eating flies and moths, preventing you from be swarmed by them.

• Brohoof 5

I try not to kill spiders, but I'm not sure I'd call it a sin. Sin is a religious term, and God technically gave Adam dominion over the animals, so that should include the right to kill them when you think it's necessary. So sin, no. But they do eat nasty insects like mosquitoes, so that's why I try to spare them. 

Centipedes, though, I got no use for those. :blink:

• Brohoof 5

Is this some kind of joke question?

As in one of the deadly sins? Rhetorical. Just because it has something religious in it does not make the question absurd or a joke.

I kinda wondered this, considering most of us are afraid of these eight legged creatures. We could put them outside....but coming from somebody who attempted to harm a spider not too long ago. >.< I mean, it could've been poisonous for all I know. I feel bad about killing it, I always tell a spider "I'm sorry" before squashing it. u-u 

Yes, I feel remorse for a freaky spider...

Is killing a spider basically murder, since we are taking it's life? Or is it necessary to ease our discomfort and possible safety?

Well, if you kill it because of fear, or because of safety, or accidentally- heck, even if it's just because they come inside- it isn't a sin.

It does, however, become a sin when you kill it intentionally to kill something or to cause pain. But for the most part, no, you are fine.

Although try not to kill them on sight next time... see if you can put them outside (or, in the winter months, leave them alone so that they can continue omnomnomming the flies and the mosquitoes and...

Centipedes, though, I got no use for those. :blink:

... let them eat the centipedes too. They are cool and all, but...  :unsure:

(edited)

I'm morally opposed to killing spiders xD, but then I love the darned things.  I like that you apologized and felt remorse lol.  I've apologized to non-spider creatures I've squashed; though I wasn't fond enough of them to grant them a reprieve.  There are only a few potentially harmful-to-humans spiders where I live, so I'm not overly concerned about my own safety.  Also, this one time...  I accidentally killed a spider.  And genuinely felt bad.  They're such cool, oftentimes beneficial-to-us, and really beautiful little animals.  Have you encountered some manner of jumping spider before?  They're like little wind-up toys!

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Heck, they can be quite cute at times:

Spoilered for any arachnophobes out there.

img-2610947-1-tumblr_lhtkvf7IW11qgp5rno1

All he needs is a scarf. Someone photoshop that!

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 10

9prrs4.jpg

These are my blinding " Paint" Skills. Hope you are statisfied.

Been there, done that xD (just quoted you so you got a message) forgot to do that :P

Cool! Although, spiders are technically arachnids, not insects.

THAT CUTE THING WILL EVOLVE INTO A FREAKING GIANT FLYING SPIDER THING THAT WILL WIPE OUT HUMANITY.

____

Back on topic luckily i rarely see spiders around at my place if i do see a spider with really really thin legs and a tiny body i usually ignore them.

But there are some spiders that makes want to throw knives at their faces.

Humans are kind of like Piranhas in this sense.

They will without compunction kill animals for food, but are allomothering: that means, melt before anything with large eyes and a strong head size to body size ratio. Not that piranhas do this, but piranhas are known to not attack each other, even though they are vicious little bundles of mass destruction, tearing the flesh from their preys in mere seconds.

Humans also see a problem, generally, in attacking their own kind. You can't sympathize with something that doesn't even remotely look like a human, or at least not inherently. That's why humans feel next to no sting when stomping on a spider or swatting a fly. Should we? I don't think so.

• Brohoof 1

It's far from a sin, but I think it's still kind of a jerk thing to do. You're killing a helpless creature that poses no threat to you.

• Brohoof 2

Well, it's not a sin... but that's a meaningless concept, anyway.

I do think that it is taking away a life, but... spiders are dangerous! I never know which of them might be poisonous, and I have dogs around the house who may not know to be cautious, so I kill all of them that I see. I'm sorry, but I'm not letting my conscience take control, when in the end leaving that spider be may cost the life of my dogs, which are one of the very few things in my life I have to bring me happiness.

I don't get the point of killing insects as a whole.

Killing an insect would just attract more of them (Some species at least).

Usually I just ignore them or carry them outside, spiders are a little cute in their own way.

Well, it is a sin depending on what way you are looking at it. Killing and murdering is not very different things. If killing an insect is a sin, is eating bacon a sin as well? Oink oink. :3

I AM THE SPIDER GENOCIDER

One time outside my shopfront I sprayed about 50 of them right in the face with syrupy insecticide. They all dropped down a few inches and died, hanging on the ends of their threads. It looked like a mobile for the antichrist. 

It was seriously creepy as hell.

Pic related. It's a mobile. (A much nicer one)

1382811.jpg?1398274586

• Brohoof 2

That's pretty cute - and I have arachnaphobia! (Albeit a strange case of it...I find spiders cool and interesting, but if I see one in person... ACK GET IT AWAY FROM ME ADRENALINE WAAAAH)

• Brohoof 1

Well me being a hunter myself I can say that killing a spider just because it is "creepy" could in a sense be deemed worse than me killing a rabbit or deer for food, while I eat what I kill when I am hunting, the same cannot be said about squashing a defenseless little insect just because we find it "creepy", though most of us do it any way or have done it at some point in our lives, but as far as the whole "murder" thing goes I am going to have to say that they two are incomparable, Insects do carry some disease, and some spiders can indeed leave a nasty bite that can be bad for you health.

Well, it's not a sin... but that's a meaningless concept, anyway.

I do think that it is taking away a life, but... spiders are dangerous! I never know which of them might be poisonous, and I have dogs around the house who may not know to be cautious, so I kill all of them that I see. I'm sorry, but I'm not letting my conscience take control, when in the end leaving that spider be may cost the life of my dogs, which are one of the very few things in my life I have to bring me happiness.

The term is venomous, and no spider will bite a human unless provoked, so leave them be and they will leave you be.

• Brohoof 1

If it's a monstrosity as big as my hand, then it will die. But most tiny spiders I let live - the only thing that pisses me off more than a tiny spider is countless flies getting trapped inside my house.

Spiders and I, we share a somewhat uneasy relationship.