technology Operating Systems

Tom

184 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you use?

• Windows
    • Mac OSx
    • Linux
    • Other

Cough, Wine, cough. I installed Photoshop CS6 on Ubuntu using Wine. It's really quite simple. All you have to do is Google a tutorial.

Yep and wine also has a load of other problems emulating numerous other windows applications so nope... not swapping to the penguin just yet. 

I like linux, but I it amuses me when linux users conveniently forget the downsides yet are quick to point Windows downsides out.

Edited by ~Scootaloo

Yep and wine also has a load of other problems emulating numerous other windows applications so nope... not swapping to the penguin just yet. 

I like linux, but I it amuses me when linux users conveniently forget the downsides yet are quick to point Windows downsides out.

post-10241-0-59968900-1355149338.jpg

That's because I'm getting used to the downsides. The only real downsides I know is the difficulty and the lack of third-party support, which means I can't play good games with it. For the first issue, I'm getting used in using Linux and it's very comfortable now. For the second, I don't play games, so it's not a big issue for me.

I also rarely edit pictures or musics. The only editing I may need is cropping, resizing, and cutting, and I have the software for both pictures and music. I have Audacity and GIMP Image Editor to fulfill my need of both things. I use my Linux to code and run virtual servers. Other than that, maybe browsing the Internet, listening to music, or looking for wallpapers. All is set.

As for other aspects like security, performance, etc, it's perfect for me. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I really don't have any preference. I use all three daily! ^_^

I use my desktop for gaming and main work such as photoshop and video editing, I use a latptop with Mac OSX for school and code, and I run and use Linux on my server box.

TBH, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Windows has the best selection of programs and games. It's also great for dualscreening and working on photoshop/video editing.

Max OSX is incredibly user friendly, easy to use, and is AMAZING for working because of how finger swiping is programmed into laptops. (I can swipe between different documents and websites incredibly easily, and I love that.)

Linux is lightweight but powerful, and it amazing for server-side stuff. I wouldn't use it on my main computer though, as it doesn't have enough software selection options for me. If it did have a better selection, though, I'd prefer using it.

Edited by ThePilotGuy
  • Brohoof 1

In my use of Linux, pretty much the only problems I've had are lack of programs and support, and lack of drivers for certain GPUs. Other than that, I can't really complain about it.

I really don't have any preference. I use all three daily! happy.png

I use my desktop for gaming and main work such as photoshop and video editing, I use a latptop with Mac OSX for school and code, and I run and use Linux on my server box.

TBH, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Windows has the best selection of programs and games. It's also great for dualscreening and working on photoshop/video editing.

Max OSX is incredibly user friendly, easy to use, and is AMAZING for working because of how finger swiping is programmed into laptops. (I can swipe between different documents and websites incredibly easily, and I love that.)

Linux is lightweight but powerful, and it amazing for server-side stuff. I wouldn't use it on my main computer though, as it doesn't have enough software selection options for me. If it did have a better selection, though, I'd prefer using it.

I understand that Mac has good development software to ease development, but I still can't figure out why is it better than Linux to learn programming. Thanks for initiating my research. smile.png

Yes. Linux is good for server stuff, but I just use gEdit to code, so the lack of third-party support isn't a problem to me. smile.png

Edited by Sky Warden

I understand that Mac has good development software to ease development, but I still can't figure out why is it better than Linux to learn programming. Thanks for initiating my research. img-1298715-2-smile.png

Yes. Linux is good for server stuff, but I just use gEdit to code, so the lack of third-party support isn't a problem to me. img-1298715-3-smile.png

It isn't necessarily better to learn programming. It's just a better work environment. I can swipe between different windows, the UI on the OS is always easy to use and intuitive, and many programs to make coding more simple (and therefore generally easier to learn) on Mac compared to Linux.

That said, could you learn to code on Linux? Yes, of course. I just prefer working on Mac OSX.

It isn't necessarily better to learn programming. It's just a better work environment. I can swipe between different windows, the UI on the OS is always easy to use and intuitive, and many programs to make coding more simple (and therefore generally easier to learn) on Mac compared to Linux.

That said, could you learn to code on Linux? Yes, of course. I just prefer working on Mac OSX.

Easier to learn doesn't mean that it's better to learn from. The best OS to learn programming is (probably) Linux since it's open source and it doesn't hide anything in the background.

I rarely use IDE and just use the humble text editor to code most of the times, and I always use Linux for any coding activity. I see no reason to code with Mac other than programs.

you are never allowed to upgrade anything again.

love me some xkcd smile.png

Hah, I loved that linux strip he did. More praise from me, to xkcd.

Also installed a Linux distro again yesterday. I was originally planning to dual boot it with W7, but then I was like whatever and just wiped the damn thing. I wanted to experiment with something different, yet here I am still using Xubuntu, XFCE as always. Can't get away from apt-get, it's too useful.

• 2 months later...

I am currently using Windows XP Professional SP3. I went through a lot of OSes in my life.

There was Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Ubuntu, Windows Vista, Windows XP.

All the OSes I used in order.

• Brohoof 1

I started with Windows 98 SE then moving up to 2000 and skipping ME and going straight to XP, after vista came out I opted to stay with XP until 7 came out, now I'm skipping 8 and waiting for 9.

I use Windows 7 because I like to play video games. I wish the gaming industry would start taking Linux more seriously though. I would use Linux if it was compatible with all the games I play.

I'm using windows 7 at the moment it's probably one of Microsoft's best operating systems next to windows XP. I will probably wait until Windows 9 or what ever they will call it until I upgrade my OS again. 

(edited)

Im using windows 7 ultimate just because I havent been botherd to change it and windows 7 is pretty decent even if i get a error every 20 seconds...

Edited by Dj Yexus

Windows 7. I've used Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 in my life. I've also worked with a Mac and a Linux, but not very extensively. Out of all the systems, Windows 7 is the best and XP is a distant second.

I use a good few, depending on what I need it for. My main OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, though I've used VMware to run Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP Home Edition, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx, and BackTrack R5. I have plans to get Kali Linux running when I have the time and resources.

I dual-boot debian and ubuntu because of my complete stupidity. They're both just .deb based distros, I just wanted to try debian because I could :V

I also boot Windows XP in a VM to make music but honestly I hate that OS a lot.

I use Windows 7 on both of my regular 'Compaq' laptop and my school 'Lenovo' laptop.

I  Windows 7 more than anything. I was wondering about updating to Windows 8, but I heard mixed opinions on it. huh.png

Used to dual boot WinXP and Fedora on my old computer, until the power supply went on it one day. Then I bough the one I have now and built it myself. Best decision ever. I have Win7 now. Never been much of a Mac fan, which is also technically Linux too I suppose. Plus all crApple stuff is way overpriced anyway. 

I'm using Windows 7 home premium. 

I have Windows 8 installed on the other laptop, but I don't prefer it as much. 

I honestly would like Windows 8 a lot more if it just resembled 7 a bit more. A start button, for example? 

The speed on it is really nice, I must admit. Perhaps my default computer (with Windows 7) is really slow, in general, but I know when I switch to the other one, I notice a massive amount of increased speed, say, when moving larger files somewhere, start-up, and things like that. 

Also, Windows 8's ability to multi-task is really nice. Dragging Skype into a sidebar, keeping it open on about 1/4 of the screen's width, and then actually just shrinking my desktop in entirety (meaning, if I maximise a page, it will only fill that 3/4 that is desktop), just seems really nice, to me. In that sense, things feel a bit more organised. 

Perhaps it would be better on a tablet. However, Windows 7 is what I know, and it's what I prefer. 

jk i luv vista lol ^_^

The only thing I would buy a mac for would be if I wanted logic pro, but with ableton and reason for pc that are the same if not better, I see no reason to go with Mac. The computers are overpriced as crap. Linux is great for servers and software development, but doesn't work with some software and games. Windows is popular with gamers. Just start by looking at what software you'll want and find which os supports it. You'll probably want to be building a computer unless you want a laptop.

• Brohoof 1

I have Windows 7, but hate Windows 8.

I personally, someday want a Mac mini, since there is Final Cut Pro X.

I want to find a decent video editing program, and that seems to be one good program, since a lot of movies where edited with it.